Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

It just occurred to me that this is the first single-player story-driven Star Wars game in almost a decade, and the last one (Force Unleashed II) was literally unfinished when it came out.

God, I hope it's good. The Respawn team has pretty much a perfect record though (Modern Warfare I and II and both Titanfalls) so I'm quite optimistic for this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Cross-Section posted:

Somebody ripped the game logos and all the ability training videos off the preload:

https://streamable.com/l2xfg

Weapon spoilers.

This looks cool as poo poo but yeah, I bet this is a spoiler for a moment that would be a lot cooler if you weren't expecting it.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah for Fallen Order II they need to reeeeeally cut back on the animal fights. Not only are they less fun to fight than Imperials and droids and bounty hunters, it seems distinctly un-Jedi-like to cut your way through half a planet's ecosystem just because they're in the way.

Also, give me a survival arena, please.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Sammus posted:

So, I have heard and seen it spoken of on the internet that you should go to Dathamir first to get the double bladed light saber. Not once have I seen it mentioned that you can get it on the first planet if you go back after getting Push. I just thought I'd let anyone who didn't know this, know. Since it seems a hell of a lot easier than having to run past everything on Dathamir to avoid getting shredded.

Yeah if you do it this way there's even a little cutscene where Cal finds Cordova's old saber and welds it onto Japal's.

Judging by this thread and the game's subreddit I think I'm one of approximately five people in the world who got it this way.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Looks like modders are starting the get a little more familiar with the game -- now there's skins for Inquisitor Cal and Jedi Cal. The latter apparently just blows up the kid-Cal model up to adult size and plops adult Cal's head on top, which gives him kind of a weird giraffe neck but it's a good start!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pRO4GGzPg0

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah I've never understood this "way too many Jedi survived order 66" complaint. There were something like 10,000 Jedi running around when it went down, even if 500 survived the initial order that's still a 95% success rate.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

Going back to some earlier discussion re: blasters being added into the gameplay mix, something I've been thinking about is how to add that into an already packed control scheme. I can imagine saber+force or saber+guns pretty easily, but all three would be pretty complex.

Do any modern-ish games pull off something like that well on controllers? I feel like some of the older SW games did, but my memories are pretty vague and (I think) more based around the more complex keyboard+mouse option.

Jedi Outcast was on Gamecube and used saber, blasters, and the Force but it was a little awkward. IIRC "use the Force" was a single button, and you switched between powers like you would weapons so you couldn't just use any of them on command. Same with lightsaber/blasters -- they were both on a weapon wheel so you could use one but not the other at any given moment.

Putting on my Ideas Guy hat for a moment:

If you wanted to do all three I'd largely keep the Fallen Order controls but you've have to make some compromises. Kill the slow time power (sorry, I barely used it) and make that your "shoot" button on the right bumper. Remove block from the left bumper and have it be your aim or alt-fire button, and then copy the parry system from Metal Gear Rising. Instead of a dedicated block button, you instead make a contextual light attack towards an incoming swing or blaster bolt. You could also free up the B button for something if you copied the dodge system from MGR as well by making it A+X together.

Switching weapons could be done on the d-pad, although it'd be cool to keep a dedicated "lightsaber on/off" button. You could add a third Force power by pressing the triggers simultaneously, and even mix and match through some sort of wheel or pause menu like Mass Effect.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 15, 2020

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Even on keyboard Outcast and Academy were kind of clunky when it came to Force powers. The core problem is that there were way too many of them, so there wasn't a way to have all of them near your WASD and still have space for use, crouch, etc. Basically you'd have to either cycle through them like the GameCube, hunt and peck for the right key, or reassign your keybindings every playthrough so you've have easy access to the ones you picked.

TheCenturion posted:

I'd set a d-pad button, or maybe clicking a thumbstick, to 'draw/holster blaster.' If you have your blaster holstered, your bumpers and triggers are your force powers. If you have your blaster drawn, at least one of them (probably force pull) becomes 'shoot.'

This would be cool too, basically treating your blaster like another Force power. Every young Jedi hopeful must master the ancient techniques of Telekinesis, Telepathy, Psychometry, and Gun

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Hell yeah there was

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Beldorion

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

There's a new game+ mod, if you're on PC

https://www.nexusmods.com/starwarsjedifallenorder/mods/36

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

That sounds a lot like Sekiro, which would work great for a lightsaber game like this -- They almost got there in Fallen Order but the two games were developed side-by-side so any resemblance right now is mostly accidental. Really interested in seeing what they learn for Fallen Order II if it ever gets made.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Instead of a second lightsaber give Cal a gun imo. No need to turn it into a shooter or anything, just have it as an extra tool in his arsenal so he can pop stormtrooper grunts from a distance, or fold it into Force combos, or use it to keep Force-wielding enemies distracted while he closes in with his saber.

Sick gunslinger spins while holstering mandatory, of course.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

I don't think you need that for this franchise, but I am 100% in favor of Star Wars: Just Cause -- give me a jetpack, an open world, and a hundred different guns and vehicles to waste Imperial bases with and I'm a happy camper.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Cross-Section posted:

You may be getting your wish, below is the Cal action figure for Jedi Survivor

Oh sick, I like that outfit a hell of a lot more than his Fallen Order duds too.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

fartknocker posted:

Hell, give me a modern version of Galactic Conquest from the original Battlefront games.

Empire at War kinda scratches that itch for me, but it's an RTS rather than a FPS. For a 15-year-old game it has an incredible mod scene too. My personal favorites are Fall of the Republic, which covers the Clone Wars, and Thrawn's Revenge, which covers the post-Endor period in the old Legends continuity.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Our boy Cal is packing heat in that title image, I imagine the blaster will serve as a Bloodborne-style interrupt

e: would be sick if the gun parts were as interchangeable as the saber, I want to kitbash my piece just like the movies did with WWII surplus in the 70s

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 5, 2022

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

All I want is like 90% fewer animal fights

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRaobDJjiec

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Hmm....

And for all y'all Dark Forces fans out there....

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Torrannor posted:

Cal did use two lightsabers for a very short time in the trailer. We also had this lightsaber with the crossguard, which I'm personally not a fan of. And there was one clip of the double bladed lightsaber. There is a much higher variety of robot enemies, which I appreciate. Killing the same droids, stormtroopers and animals over and over got a bit stale at the end of the game. So enemies will be more varied than in Fallen Order, and there are likely more fighting styles than in the first game. I'm optimistic about how fun combat will be.

I liked how the crossguard lightsaber had little handguards below the secondary blades -- if Kylo Ren had sweaty hands or whatever the dude would have lost his fingers. Towards the end of the trailer you see it in action, it looks like it's a heavier, more broadsword-like style to differentiate it from the standard stance.

Also looks like Cal's second lightsaber is a shorter "shoto" style like Ahsoka uses, which is a fun change of pace for a game.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

kneelbeforezog posted:

Whats the gooncensus on the first fallen order?

Not perfect but really good attempt at a StarSoulsWarsVaniaBorne. Literally five bucks on the Steam sale right now so you don't have much to lose even if you think it sucks

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

"Outstanding." is such a great line read, I think about it all the time

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F6YBwIPzmk

Merrin kicking rear end and Greez giving great hugs confirmed

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

My prediction: That pale Jedi in the bacta tank turns out to have a few screws loose and he's the final battle. There's probably also a setpiece duel against that Utapauan Inquisitor from the first teaser but I'm pretty sure he can't die until Rebels

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Vinylshadow posted:

Honestly, Cal bringing the Inquisitorious to Maul, who then chase him out of Crimson Dawn and eventually trap him on Malachor could work

Plus, the game devs do want to make this series a trilogy, so...maybe Maul's endgame, or a post-credits stinger reveal

At this point there's basically zero chance of Solo II: Duo ever happening so yeah I wouldn't mind at all if Respawn wrapped up that particular arc. Cyborg Maul would be a sick boss fight and it'd be a fun change of pace to fight mostly gangsters and bounty hunters rather than stormtroopers again

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Cross-Section posted:

A bunch of previews just dropped but the only thing that really matters is that you can make Cal look like this

This dude fishes by throwing thermal detonators in the lake

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

I'd be willing to bet a decent amount of that file size in uncompressed audio in every language the game supports, which a ton of studios have been doing for the past decade and is annoying as gently caress

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah Titanfall 1 was where I first noticed this, something like 30 out of the 55 GB install size was just alternate language audio. That separate install UI must have come later, I don't remember it being there in 2014-2015

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Children in Star Wars games have a proud tradition of being little loving freaks

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Obviously Andor isn’t the kind of show where gimmicky crossovers make sense, but it would have been funny when Luthen was telling Saw he needed to burn his source, Saw threatened to call up his ginger Jedi friend and they’ll decide who does and does not make it out of there alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Jedi Survivor: theres actually zero difference between the light side & the dark side. you imbecile. you loving moron