Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I haven't been hyped for the game but I'm hoping it'll turn out to be a surprise hit like Shadow of Mordor was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
It's sounding like it's actually going to be a good Star Wars game - https://www.digitalspy.com/tech/bes...iaV2s9bverQ_n2k

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Friendly Fire posted:

Except it's not. The only time anything is severed is to make a dramatic point and it only usually happens with named characters. (Battle droids notwithstanding)

Your joking right? The films would have had a totally different feel if limbs went flying everywhere every time a lightsaber was used. They are westerns with space wizards in them, not Tarantino gore fests.

The game was objectively mediocre in every way and it's only your nostalgia that makes you think otherwise.

JK was great for its time.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

haldolium posted:

Nah, sorry but both Raven games where fantastic and aged appropriately slow.

Limb cutting wasn't a "Tarantino gore fest" either way, just appropriate behavior for the weapon.

It's true that the old Raven games aren't remembered well in the mainstream but they made some good poo poo back then that kept an active MP community for a decade and a half. Jedi Knight and Star Trek Elite Force 1 had some of the best modding communities ever.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
You can pre-order the game from the Target circle APP (don't think it works online) for 40% off. Last few hours to do it.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
First 4 hours of gameplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWbVA_dLtSI&feature=emb_title

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
I think the embargo is more to do with Disney, they're very protective of spoilers. They did the same with Mando and everyone loves it.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
The ambient walk around level music is great - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ft18KuHPc4

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
After watching a few hours of gameplay yesterday, it's really confusing that they decided that the first look of this game, back in the summer, should be an on-rails mission that doesn't reflect almost any of the main draws of the game.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
8am EST

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
20 minutes until NA unlock - if you have a New Zealand passport of course.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

JBP posted:

Wow this is not very good...

The intro?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
You can't use a VPN to unlock the steam release - it's on a global timer not a timed release like on origin.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Game's good, well done Respawn.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Only complaint so far is dodging being linked to the z key instead of spacebar which has gotten me killed so many times now.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

black.lion posted:

What does space do? Can't you remap keys?

Jumping but it looks like it is used for Dodge combos that you can unlock too.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
A lot of the combat in this game makes it obvious why Kyle Katarn carried a bunch of guns as well as his lightsaber.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
2nd Sister hot af

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Tenacious J posted:

Played on PC up until the first boss.

Game runs perfectly on a GTX 1080 on max settings, was getting consistent 80-90 FPS except for moments during environment transitions.

Gameplay wise.. it's fairly cinematic, the story and scenes feel like snippets from a better Star Wars movie than any of the modern ones and I enjoy the characters. It really is Uncharted + Dark Souls, but "lite" versions of both. I'm a little disappointed in the combat and animations, sadly. It is decent, but not even close to Dark Souls. Controls aren't as snappy/skillful as I would like or expect from the Titanfall guys. Overall (and this is super early impressions), it seems like more of an adventure/platformer game with some nods towards an action RPG. IMO it is best enjoyed as an adventure with action, rather than a game you play for the mechanics and techniques.

Combat gets more interesting once you have a bunch of force powers to play around with but I doubt this game will be remembered for its combat system.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Ambaire posted:

Hm. Two other questions: (1) can you loot/use grenades/weapons from fallen Stormtroopers, or are you limited to 'Jedi' weapons (sabers) and your powers? and (2) if/when you die, can you reload immediately or does it force a 'lol you dead' Batman Arkham esq taunting cinematic in your face?

edit: also, can you save anywhere or only at predefined checkpoints/etc or at a bonfire-equivalent?

Your lightsaber and force abilities are your only weapons. You 'save' progress at bonfires but if you die it remembers the stuff you've already done and basically is just respawning enemies.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
I don't know if I'd be into this game if it wasn't Star Wars but I'm not into Uncharted or Souls or Tomb Raider so that makes sense. It's fun enough.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
I've seen some texture popping on console streams but having it on my ssd has avoided all that.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

JBP posted:

The first ram beast enemy I fought fell through the the floor before it got close to me LOL

I really don't understand how you're getting these glitches, I've seen zero bugs in the 9 hours I've played. And I fought that ram like 20 times cause I suck and it didn't ever glitch.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
This game needs double force jumping and Kyle katarn somersaults.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
This was worth the origin access fee.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Chomp8645 posted:

Haven't bought the game but watched some streaming. Seems pretty decent.

I'd say anyone saying BEST STAR WARS GAME ever is just being sensational over a new release, but it definitely seems worth a play. I'll probably pick it up later when it's on sale or if I get really bored.

It's possibly the best Star Wars game since the golden era of the 90's and early 2000's but It's not like I'm going to spend years of my life playing this like I did with Rogue Squadron or JK2.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Trying to play No Mans Sky on a 7200RPM HDD was the worst experience of my life, playing it on an SSD was the 2nd.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Deflecting blasters back is an incredibly satisfying thing.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
The only thing holding me back from getting rid of my HDD and having two SSD's is because I'm an idiot who doesn't know how to install PC parts.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Finished the game - it was fun, I liked the story (pretty short and to the point).

Loved how the end run turned into the loving Force Unleashed showing how Vader is on a whole other level of power than you and the Inquistors

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
This game is better than The Force Unleashed.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Fortress Inqusitorious is orbiting the same Gas Gaint as Mustafar?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
I have gotten incredibly frustrated at the target locking system swinging me around to enemies I didn't want to target. Just give me free-form Jedi Knight combat.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

The complete and utter lack of ceremony or impact when Cal discovers/builds his Double-Bladed Lightsaber is so ridiculously jarring. This feels like it should have some level of significance and it has absolutely none.

The next saber upgrade actually gets some recognition as being epic

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
DBL is how you get a ton of force power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UtGHXqzlGE

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
I want Jedi 2 to be a Shadow of War rip-off.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

Cal should’ve been a black woman full stop.

This game has zero RPG elements and I’m happy for that, but making the protagonist of your Star Wars epic a white dude in 2019 is the actual most boring approach to character design possible

Kill off Cal in Jedi 2, play as Cere with some dark side powers too.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

blue squares posted:

Is this a troll or is doing that something one is supposed to do? I have never cleaned my PS4 and have owned it for several years

He's joking as he had a lot of glitches on launch day which no one else was having so people said he needed to clean out his dusty PS4. But cleaning your PC/Console is usually a good thing to do to keep up performance.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Watched a guy spend over an hour on the last boss on Jedi Master lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

AxeManiac posted:

I've flown in my ship about 5 times to 3 different planets. I talked to the four arm pilot guy about 3 times. After I left the prison planet he had this really heartfelt conversation with me about how he can care again. It felt like an uber driver I just met opening up to me.

I notice video games are doing that a lot lately, just straight up telling strangers they mean the world to them for no real in world reason. The Outer Worlds did that a lot with your companion. You'd go get them an item from a shop as their companion quest and they would love you as a god forever.

This game desperately needed your 'companions' to actually do stuff with you outside of the ship even if it was just more of what we got in the final level with Cere.