Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Got this game in the Steam summer sale. I'm about 15 hours in, it's really good. I get a bit of the old KOTOR feeling, even though there's no party, the fights are much more action oriented, and there's such a big emphasis on platforming. I'm an old now, so parrying correctly is a bit of a challenge, but it's still a lot of fun. I saw that there'll be a sequel, which pleases me a lot. Too bad that canon basically demands a bad ending for Cal :(

I do love the fact that visually, Cal is Ian Gallagher but a jedi. I'm a bit over RPG protagonists defaulting to straight, white, cis males, but I'm just headcanoning Cal as gay, so it works out for me. Oddly enough, it helps that there are probably no romances in this game. At least there are no characters that I could see Cal romance. Cere is old enough to be his mother (I think), and is clearly filling out the teacher/mentor role. And Greez is a grumpy alien. So I'm free to headcanon Cal as gay all I want.

I do appreciate the genuine (platonic) love between Cal and BD-1, it's freaking adorable and wholesome.

Overall, I'm really impressed with the game so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Are there really no other outfits for Cal than various ugly ponchos?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
You would think Cal shouldn't wave his double bladed lightsaber around so much in the tight confines of his starship. I'm pretty sure he not only cut the workbench, but also his own thigh.

Cross-Section posted:

Don't knock the "no poncho" option either

Oh, I am rocking the "no poncho" option non-stop.

I think the more scrappy look suits Cal, there's just not enough meaningful variation. And while he looks awesome in some of those mods helpful goons have liked here, I think they don't quite fit him, and the "current" situation. What with the Empire at the height of it's power, and Jedi being hunted everywhere.

fake edit: The game told me one of those cute furred critters from Bogano is now a stowaway on my ship, but I can't seem to find it anywhere?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Why isn't there a massive Empire presence on Ilum? The Emperor knows that this is the prime source of lightsaber crystals in the galaxy, any jedi or force sensitive he missed in his purges has a good chance to end up on Ilum to craft a new lightsaber!

Cal has a remarkable ability to remain totally dry, no matter how long he's submerged in water. Especially impressive in regards to his hair!

Edit: Oh, so there is a big Empire presence on Ilum. Just not in the main jedi temple for some reason. I do wonder why the Mantis can just fly wherever it wants without getting detected by the Empire's military presence. Is Cere giving them an imperial ID really enough to fool all Empire forces forever?

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jul 5, 2022

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I've finished Dathomir and will return to Bogano for what I assume to be the final stretch of the game. There are no more obviously missing skills in my skill tree, and I got the achievement to have recruited all crew members. Which was a bit of a surprise, from raising her undead sisters to fight me, Merrin suddenly joins me? I wonder whether she will do anything more, or whether this is just setup for the sequel. I'll find out tomorrow :)

I'm not quite sure how I expect the game to end. Taking into account meta information, it's obvious that the plan can't quite work out. There was no other jedi organization when Luke showed up, so Cal and Cere either didn't find the holocron, or didn't use it to create another group of force sensitive people. My best guess is that Cere, who admitted to using the dark side to escape the Empire, fully turns to the dark side and takes off with the holocron, intending to create a dark side organization to oppose the emperor. That would be the setup to the sequel then, with Cal trying to stop her. Culminating in them killing each other in a possible third and final game? Tying up all the lose ends.

Going away from speculation that probably turns out to be totally wrong, I have some non-spoilery questions. I don't quite understand where that data about young force sensitive people comes from. Is it compiled from some jedi insights/prophecies or what? Or is it from the seekers looking for force sensitive children? But the jedi induct potential members as young as possible, why were these young force sensitive beings not padawans at that time?

Also, when exactly does the game take place? How long after the jedi temple massacre, and Palpatine becoming the emperor?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
So I finished the game, and took notes to kind of live blog my experience, because I like reading these from other posters. So spoilers for the endgame, naturally:

- Finally flying back to Bogano to unlock the vault, Merrin raises interesting points. Is it really right to take these children away from their parents (a policy that was already questionable when the Jedi Order did it), and essentially condemning them to a lifetime of being hunted by the Empire? Although the Empire is technically already searching for them, to either eliminate them, or turn them into dark side puppets for the Emperor. It's nonetheless a good question to bring up, I'm impressed by Merrin.

- Huh, they are reinforcing the point Merrin made in this vision. Is that the dark side playing on Cal's fears, or something more? It's not an unrealistic scenario, especially since we know that no such pseudo-Jedi organization will be established when the Empire falls, so either the heroes don't get the holocron, or a scenario like it was presented in this vision plays out.

- Okay, my immediate reaction after the Trilla flashbacks: Why did she run away with the holocron, when she clearly had an opportunity to kill Cal??? This makes absolutely zero sense. Not even as a way to lure out Cere, since announcing the killing of Cal and taunting her with the holocron would have ensured Cere cam after Trilla regardless. This is typical bad(ly written) villain behavior, and I'm a bit disappointed with the game for pulling this stunt.

- That said, the flashback itself was cool, and it was nice to see a logical downside to Cal's psychometric ability.

- Cal's knighting was a cool scene, and I do appreciate the tears in his eyes during it. I was definitely moved.

- Okay, I Merrin cloaking the ship is definitely more believable than the super hacking Cere employed till now.

- For such a super secure facility, it sure is surprisingly easy to just swim into it.

- It feels nice to have so many imperials to slaughter with my improved gameplay skills. I remember those basic stun rod guys beating me up a lot when I first learned the controls, now parrying even the improved versions is super easy. I like that. And it helps that Cal is a lot stronger, too.

- Why are these guns before the interrogation room arrange like that, shouldn't they point inwards in case somebody escapes?

- I really like Trilla's visual design, she really embodies "graceful but deadly".

- I did not expect Trilla to seriously consider turning back to the light side!

- I REALLY DID NOT EXPECT DARTH VADER, HOLY poo poo!!!

- Wow, what a scene. I actually could not figure out what to do when Vader has you by the throat. I was so focused on Vader and Cal, I did not notice that thing in the background. I seriously had to look it up. Props for making me so engrossed in the action that I could see nothing but the two main figures in the scene.

- I appreciate that the game makes it very clear that Cal has zero chance against Vader. That's the proper respect for his character.

- I kind of expected Cere to die here. I didn't think her dead when she seemingly fell into the lava, but I thought she would sacrifice herself to allow Cal to get away from Vader in that last confrontation. Merrin coming to rescue them was perfect.

- This dashes my theory that Cere would finally fall to the dark side and run away with the holocron. The game did good job building up to this ending.

- Although this makes me kind of lost to think where they will go with the sequel? Not that this is a bad end, that was a satisfying conclusion to the story without obvious cliffhangers that might never amount to anything when there's no sequel.

- Watching the game 2 trailer, I still have no idea where this is going. Who was that guy in the (bacta?) tank?

Overall, this is a really good game. Gameplay was quite fun, the story was good, and I enjoyed Cal as the main character. I'll be hunting the remaining plant seeds and some chest, and will be trying out the battle meditation thingy, too. I like that I can still return to the old places to get a 100% playthrough if I want.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I think I'm finished with the game. Greez has a nice terrarium, I've collected a lot of the secrets, and the wave battles have been fun.

I think it's a really solid foundation for (hopefully) a new single player Star Wars series, but they could have done some things better, imho:

- I didn't exactly miss a fast travel system before, but hunting for secrets and then doing the long trek back to the Mantis after I've already beaten the game was a bit annoying. I've noticed that there were often story beats happening when you explored something new and then returned to your ship. So it makes sense why there's no fast travel for those situations. But after beating the game, there could have been an instant teleport back to the Mantis, that would be a really convenient QoL improvement.

- Speaking of the Mantis, it's ugly imho. The rotating wing also makes little sense imho.

- And speaking of ugly, there are definitely not enough customization options for Cal. Playing pretty princess dress up is an important part of RPGs for me, but choosing between different ugly ponchos is not my kind of fun. The inquisition outfit you get for beating the game looks pretty cool. I understand why Cal is not walking around in Jedi robes or tradition Jedi combat uniforms. But he can be incognito while still being better dressed than some scrapper. I really, really hope the sequel improves in this regard. Although perhaps with EA you only get those kinds of customization options if they're connected to DLCs or microtransactions, so perhaps we're better off with the system like it is now?

- Thinking about it, there's actually not really a good justification for Cal not wearing a traditional Jedi outfit in this game (after being ripped out of his scrapper life), since you're only traveling to basically uninhabited planets, where the only humans are nearly without exceptions imperials who attack you on sight anyways. I hope Survivor allows us to travel through some more metropolitan environments, having a civilian city as a base is always good in an RPG.

- The combat was wholly enjoyable, I don't think respawn needs to iterate too much with it. Switching between one handed and double bladed lightsaber is a ton of fun. It's a bit of a shame that (split saber attacks notwithstanding) you never really got to dual wield lightsabers, which was my favorite in KotOR.

- The map was really, really good. Easily showing unexplored paths, clearly marking for now unusable parts in red, and parts that opened up because you got a new ability in green. That was seriously great, it helped a ton in navigating the world. It would have been nice if it had also marked chests that you interacted with, but that you couldn't open yet. But that's a minor issue.

- The platforming felt great, and I appreciate that Respawns were not overly harsh with the mechanics. You either don't take fall damage at all, or the distances are too great and you get that token life loss while respawning in your original location. And if you fell into a chasm, the game respawns you right before your wrong jump. This, plus the frequent meditation spots, made it so that the platforming never felt frustrating, even the more challenging parts.

Overall I can see why the game got so many positive ratings. I'll be playing the ME Legendary edition next, Fallen Order definitely made me hunger for more sci-fi action rpgs.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Rewatched Castlevania recently, where are my exotic light-weapons? Lightwhips, lightmorningstars, lightsickles, etc. Or the more traditional variants, lightaxes, lightspears, lighthalberds, and so on? Come on, Disney, give me more variety!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Welcome back!

It's a great game!, which deserves a good thread. I just wish that your OP was still current, because that would mean the next game would come out next month.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
This looks quite good. And I appreciate to be able to outfit Cal in more than "hobo outfit" "poncho" and "inquisitor garb". The blaster features very prominently, I can't imagine anything but the dual wielding style that Cere displayed in the final level.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I hope we get a ship that doesn't look stupid, and that the Mantis remains crashed.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I agree that the Fallen Order teaser is a lot more interesting. But the Survivor art is cool, too. I'm already invested in the story, so the art doesn't have to entice me to buy the game. Both Cal and BD-1 look pretty good here. We even have the ugly space ship in the background for some nostalgia.

Did I just miss Cal's tattoo, or is it new?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I saw this cool speculation in the wake of that leak. Since that first trailer featured this heavily urban world, it might be that Cal really does go into a heavily civilian environment like many of us hoped he would. But in such an environment, fighting with a lightsaber is probably a no-go. So the blaster might be the alternative weapon you use when you can't reveal that you're a Jedi.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Combat with a helpful NPC? Sign me up. That NPC also clearly has a blaster as his main weapon. Cal didn't use one, but had one on his hip all the time. I suspect blaster combat is something they will reveal later to keep the hype going.

Cal did use two lightsabers for a very short time in the trailer. We also had this lightsaber with the crossguard, which I'm personally not a fan of. And there was one clip of the double bladed lightsaber. There is a much higher variety of robot enemies, which I appreciate. Killing the same droids, stormtroopers and animals over and over got a bit stale at the end of the game. So enemies will be more varied than in Fallen Order, and there are likely more fighting styles than in the first game. I'm optimistic about how fun combat will be.

Animal friends are cool, obviously. It doesn't seem like Cal forgot any of his abilities, like Samus routinely loses most of her stuff in the Metroid games, which is good. Of course, being able to run short stretches on walls can be more or less useful depending on the level design, so the devs might make those wall sections much less common to keep the gameplay fresh. We can see something that shoots a rope to basically duplicate Spiderman's web shooting ability in regards to moving around, and Cal also slows his descent with his lightsaber in one part of the vid. And there are probably several obstacles that can only be overcome with the help of animals to ride/fly on. So the "platforming" looks like it will be fresh and fun in Jedi Survivor.

Story wise there was not much to learn. That one armed guy from the tank who's presumably a jedi was the same one as the blonde character wearing gold robes and speaking to those two bounty hunters (I think?) later on? And we saw those senator on Coruscant with Cal's lightsaber. They are presumably not on the same side, and having both a imperial and rogue jedi antagonists would be nice. Cere is apparently doing her thing alone, and we saw no sign of Merrin or Greez. Cal had a more pronounced beard in one part of the vid, implying some kind of time skip perhaps? Or more generally a recognition of time passing during the game? That could mean a more linear game perhaps.

There was also a shameful lack of cool BD-1 actions in the trailer :mad:

Overall, I'm quite hyped already.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Perhaps certain moves and forces powers are tied to distinct combat stances? If you have one handed lightsaber stance, dual lightsaber stance, two-bladed lightsaber stance and lightsaber + pistol stance, that 4 stances you can distribute moves and powers to. Like you can only to the thing where you slow down your slide down by ramming the lightsaber into the wall in the one handed lightsaber and the lightsaber + pistol stance, and you likewise can't do mounted combat with the dual lightsaber and two-bladed lightsaber stance perhaps?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Wow, a nice glimpse into the game.

This is very cool, and quite in line with what I wrote before. So I think the stances are dual wielding two lightsabers, dual wielding a lightsaber and a blaster, the double bladed lightsaber, the standard one-handed lightsaber, and the heavy/"two-handed" lightsaber with the crossguard.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The algorithm recently recommended this vid to me, and I found it really good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8MqpmeQ71k

Seeing all the ways to skip content in Fallen Order was quite interesting.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

So did anybody zoom into this special part of the big Jedi Survivor art? What is that? An exploding death start? A planet that's breaking apart? Seems pretty important.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The dev said that with double jumps and a hookshot, Cal will be so much more mobile, and the level design reflects that in becoming even more Metroidvania like.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

MMAgCh posted:

So if nothing else, Merrin does appear on the cover of the tie-in novel coming out ahead of Survivor. Perhaps all is not lost yet!

Unless she bites it or gets otherwise written out to tie up the lose end before Survivor comes out...

I really, really want Merrin to be in Survivor :(

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Badger of Basra posted:

Bode is obviously the love interest :colbert:

I know it's a radical thought, but what if there are two love interests?

Do people think we will repair the crashed Mantis, or will we get a new ship/home base?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Vinylshadow posted:

Ah, so that's why Cal isn't in the OT - Greez murders him for scratching the paint

It must obviously be Greez' fault for abandoning his post :colbert:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Kinda live-blogging this so that I don't forget anything that catches my eyes in the vid:

That passage at the very beginning looked like the narrow passages of the first game that were used to hide loading screens...

Nice that they apparently learned from putting a huge creature in the distance on Bogano, and then being unable to interact with it. It's good that the giant turtle-snail is a quest objective.

I can't imagine letting your hand slide over the rocky wall while wall-running is good for your skin.

Seems like the lightsaber throw is now strong enough to outright kill weaker enemies.

If I interpret the UI correctly, you can choose 2 combat styles to be "ready" that you can switch between while in combat, but switching out one of the two combat styles on your action bar must be done out of combat, possibly at a save point?

The new force powers look nice and useful. And so does the grappling hook.

Ah, the crawlspace passages are back, but Cal went through this one really fast. Maybe if you have a slower PC, Cal takes longer to get through them?

It seems like there are big, "ultimate" force powers that have several seconds cooldown, like the mass force slow around Cal. It also seems like a "once per fight" ability. That's cool. I wouldn't be surprised if there are several such powers, but it seems like you can only have one "equipped" at a time. This would be a nice bit of customization, and is a clever way to overcome the problem of only having so many buttons to put force powers on.

Apparel options in chests return! And it wasn't a poncho!

Psychometry is back, no surprise here,

Overall, it's a cool vid. The game looks pretty good, even though the cave system on this planet looks quite similar to Bogano. I'm definitely hyped for Survivor.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

JBP posted:

They said using the stances to overcome certain enemies was going to be important. So it seems weird that you can't just use all the stances that are apparently a critical part of overcoming challenges.

I like this system. It encourages you to choose carefully which style you use, depending on the enemies you face. And probably acts as a difficulty enhance, when you later get up against diverse groups of enemies while only wielding two styles that are very good against some of them.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Very cool article about NPCs on IGN: https://www.ign.com/articles/star-wars-jedi-survivor-get-a-little-help-from-your-ai-friends-ign-first

So that means combat party members are confirmed, Bode and some others they've not revealed for now. It seems they only join you on certain missions, but this is a very welcome addition. Cal traversing all these awesome places with just BD-1 as his companion was always a bit of a wasted opportunity. Taking your party members in Dragon Age to certain places and hearing their impressions was always a highlight of these games. And it was always weird that Cere never joined Cal except for the final mission. I do hope we get Merrin as an NPC to follow us around for some missions.

Fake edit: What's the spoiler policy for Survivor?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Cross-Section posted:

Wake up sleepyheads, there's a new trailer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmj3ty-Wt48

It's a great trailer. Seeing Merrin is great. A lot of good callbacks in there, too. A lot of what we see and hear of the game makes me hopeful it will be really good. I can't wait to play it!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
She's 100% in the game. She's in the trailer with the combat companions, and she had a big model overhaul. You don't invest that kind of resources in one of the few characters (like 4? Cal, Cere, Greez & Merrin) of the previous game for you to then cut them from the sequel. Not to mention the stuff that happens to Merrin in the book that takes place between Fallen Order and Survivor.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I really appreciate the simultaneous world wide release. It does mean it releases at 6 in the morning for me, and my shift at work is over just four hours before. But I can get by with a bit less sleep than usual in order to play more Star Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

explosivo posted:

Beat this tonight, overall I really liked it but around the return trip to Dathomir where you get Merin I was pretty over trying to see every nook and cranny and started rushing through the objectives. Looking forward to playing the sequel eventually whenever they sort that out.

I mean, the sequel is out now, and it's much better about this whole issue. Firstly because there are real customization options for Cal hidden in those chests (and no, I don't know why Cal needs to loot some out of the way chest to learn how to cut his hair short or grow a mustache :shrug:), and secondly because the fast travel system means you only need to get back to the nearest meditation circle to teleport back to the main hub, or to the circle on the route to the story critical stuff.