Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Got the game for Christmas, got around to playing it a week or two ago, beat it after switching to story mode sometime around the Butch Sister duel, uninstalled it, felt unsatisfied, reinstalled it, playing on Jedi Master. Finished most of Zeffo in a few hours right after reinstalling it.

One thing I love is how Cal is immature and scared at the beginning, but trying really REALLY hard to cover it up. Little touches like when he has his first 'duel' with Trilla, he adopts his stance, and you can see him mentally running through the checklist of where each body part is supposed to be for that stance, wiggling his feet around, physically turning to look and see how his footing is and how far he is from the edge of the platform. Then when he's on the Mantis, and he's trying to do a brave 'tough guy' act 'So, what's the bounty on Jedi these days' but he's clearly terrified. Then he romps around Bogano, and has that little sit-down heart-to-heart talk with BD-1 in the tomb where he lays it all out. As the game progresses, he becomes more sure of himself, more comfortable in his own skin, and it shows. By the time he runs into Darth Disco he's not some scared little boy anymore.

Similarly, having each successive fight with Trilla be on more and more even footing demonstrates progression really nicely and diagetically. Then suddenly Vader out of nowhere and she's dispatched with less effort than tossing an empty can.

Traversal is definitely easier on a second run-through. I remember feeling hopelessly lost on Bogano and Zeffo the first time, and this time, I'm just tearing through poo poo effortlessly. The holomap starts to make a lot more sense, too.

Combat needs work. As others have pointed out, parrying is terrible; it's described as being the correct response at all times, but it really isn't. The timing windows are terrible, janky, inconsistent, and frustrating. I never even figured out about neutral dodge the first go around.

Walking through a crowd of storm troopers and effortlessly killing them all with parried blaster shots is awesome. Having a pair of scout troopers effortlessly whomp on you becuase you mistimed a parry due to their stupid double wind-up isn't. Those goddamn little animals are annoying. The smaller ones should die to a parry.

Sister Merrin doesn't get enough in-game time. I loved her sassy Russian ridiculousness. I agree that she should have unlocked a fast-travel between meditation points upgrade of some sort, though.

The fact that you can, and will, slide off of the edges of slides, constantly, is hosed up. Also how easy it is to miss grabbing swinging ropes. Holy gently caress, the Force Pull ability is almost mandatory just for that.

I'm actually quite enjoying this second playthrough, and the combat system does improve as you wrap your head around it. I'm really looking forward to FO2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
I'd set a d-pad button, or maybe clicking a thumbstick, to 'draw/holster blaster.' If you have your blaster holstered, your bumpers and triggers are your force powers. If you have your blaster drawn, at least one of them (probably force pull) becomes 'shoot.'

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Now there’s a swim boost button.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
The armour contains self-inflating emergency airbags, Snow Crash style.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
I just noticed that the ps4 controller led follows the color of your lightsaber.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Also, if you’re looking at the map, BD will trill to alert you to incoming hostiles.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
I don't think the timeline would work for it to be Kyle; after all, Kyle steals the original Death Star plans in Dark Forces, and he wasn't a teenager at the time.

I just realized that the Inquisitor fortress run is intended to be a mirror to the fleeing the Venator run, only this time, Cal manages to do what needs doing, AND save his master. The game is him coming to terms with what happened during Order 66, and then basically getting a do-over.

There's also an interesting juxtaposition between Cal feeling like he failed his master and Trilla feeling that her master had failed her.

This game really reminds me of the original Assassin's Creed, in that there's a lot of good ideas here, but they don't quite come together they way they should. FO2 will be amazing, FO3 will be a masterpiece, FO4 will start to layer in unnecessary poo poo, and so on.

Needs some endgame QoL things, though, like fast-travel between meditation points, goody finders, and so on.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
And make the red flash mean the same thing for all mobs. And make Cal non-magnetic so charging mobs aren’t course-correcting 90 degrees. Lots of little tweaks.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Captain Hygiene posted:

Um actually, I believe you'll find that Vader having a deathbed repentance and killing him after decades of service was in fact also part of Sheev's plan

The one thing that Sheev actually failed to forsee is that Leia would actually bang Han Solo. He was counting on Luke and Leia keeping the bloodline pure.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
The problem for me was that “flashing red” might mean you’re being attacked now, or there’s an right second windup animation starting.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

blackguy32 posted:

Looking back on this game I liked it with the exception of two things.

1) The exploration needed better rewards than ponchos and lightsaber colors

2) The bounty hunters in the game just feel weird and tacked on. I don't know how to explain it but it feels like there was meant to be more to them but they just exist as slightly harder enemies in weird locations. It feels like a whole system was meant to be there.

3) it needed some form of easier backtracking, even if it was strictly post-game. It was baked right in there, with teleporting snarky Russian force-witch. "Cal, I can teleport you between any of those weird Force campsites you've meditated at. I'm not fragile."

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Goddamn it, now I want Arkham Jedi.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
I like the idea that you don't have a health bar, you have an, on, call it 'momentum' bar. If you don't parry or dodge an attack, the animation isn't you recoiling from the hit, but narrowly scampering away from it, really poorly blocking or defending it. Think Luke in Empire.

Once it's depleted, you die to a single hit. As you do successfully parry and dodge, your meter rebuilds. Meanwhile, you're chipping away at your opponent's momentum bar.

As an example, take the saber duel from ESB.

Here's Luke whiffing his parry button timing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dEDabkF8AA&t=84s

Where as at about 2:31, he nails his dodge timing, and proceeds to deplete Vader's stagger guage.

Then at 3:02, he misses all sorts of parry/dodge timing.

4:00 he nails his first dodge, then starts hitting some of his timing, and missing others. And we all know how that turns out.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwEMDtwQivE

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

You are a magic space wizard with a laser sword. You are going to be using the laser sword because Star Wars isn't about Tactical Realism it is about being a goddamn space wizard with a laser sword.

:hmmyes:

This guy Star Wars.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Jedi: Fallen Order was a fantastic first attempt. Honestly, I'm looking forward the FO2, and I'm looking forward to the 'Directors Cut' of Fallen Order that backports the inevitable QoL improvements made in FO2.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
It’s a break in the clouds, brother.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
It’s also on psplus in a few days.

It’s a great first attempt. I have high hopes for the sequel.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
When you go to download it, it offers you the choice of the ps4 or 5 version, and yea, they’re like 45 and 55 gb respectively.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
I'm sorry to say that Kyle Katarn was, in fact, brought into the new cannon, but renamed Cassian Andor.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
"It's terrible how EA does loot boxes, microtransactions, multiplayer only, and crunch time, only to release substandard product."

"We're delaying our single-player-only, no lootbox, no microtransaction game by six weeks to give people time to work on it and release in a polished state."

"Wow, something must be really wrong."

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Yeah, patch it into the original game, even if only new game plus or post game.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

JBP posted:

I'll just add on the crashed ship in FO. The "rewards" for that being poncho or whatever make it feel kind of underwhelming and unfinished. The narrative element was ok and I hope it works as a foundation for new investigations and adventures off the beaten path. Seeing "bomber jacket" as a reward in the preview is cool because dress-ups are fun. It would be a good choice for the side adventures to hold a relic or force power you learn that is fun but not critical.

The game looks like it's taking cues from new god of war with the field hubs with stuff to do. It was always cool getting an item from side areas in gow that changed up your game a little and having a shorter narrative that you could knock off in a sitting.

Yeah, this one I'll go with. Cal unlocking optional force powers or power upgrades as he discovers bits of his past that he'd suppressed would have been cool. Imagine he learns, say, force pull, but then he finds his old ship, relives some memories, remembers learning how to pull multiple objects at once, and boom, there's your 'pull the guns out of everybody's hands, not just one or two people's' upgrade unlocked. Not necessary to beat the game, but specifically rewards exploration and engagement in the story in an explicitly diegetic way.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
If you want to have cool slides, fine, but you need to make them fun, which means you can't fly off the edge, and when you leap off the bottom, Cal will make it to whatever he's supposed to grab on to.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
My Name is Cal Kestis, "Jedi Knight."

Wait...did I just hear air quotes when you said Jedi Knight?

I don't know what you're talking about. I am a "Jedi."

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Cross-Section posted:

A bunch of previews just dropped but the only thing that really matters is that you can make Cal look like this

:allears:

Colson Kestis.

Cabe Kestis.

Caleb Kestis.

Cletus Kestis.

TheCenturion fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 3, 2023

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Ps5. Big screen, 7.1 HT sound, comfy couch, foot rest, blanket.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Cardboard Fox posted:

I'm playing through Fallen Order again on PS5. It's just fun. You have a laser sword and you get to do Star Wars poo poo. The game is exactly as advertised. My only issues with it are no fast travel, one of the worst maps I've ever seen in a video game, and long elevator rides. I think most of those are being fixed in the sequel though.

And exactly one chance per playthrough to get the achievement to kill the legendary beast on Kashyyk, due to a bug, as I recall.

quote:

Anyways, Fallen Order endgame spoilers:

Do we know if Trilla dies at the end? I enjoyed her as the antagonist in the first game. A shame if they killed her off camera.

Off-camera? She very explicitly dies on-camera when Vader shanks her and she begs Cal to avenge her.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, with my past internet only one person could be watching 4k content at a time (and trying to do anything else at the same time likely compromised the 4k streaming). This is no longer a concern.

I also have absurdly high upload speeds for some reason, though I don't get much use out of that. Download is 600-700Mbps (which is kind of cool since I'm only paying for 500), but upload is 1200Mbps.

That's weird that you could preload before purchasing, though I guess it actually makes sense? They can still control whether you can play it.

poo poo I was just thinking the other day that I wish the PS store let you preload games you're waiting on the disc to arrive for. Not like you can play it without the disc, and it would let you get a jump on all the day -5 patches and what not.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

You can fully customise Cal's clothing and hair, plus more customisation for BD-1, and even more granularity for customising your saber and blaster.

Not sure if you can still customise the Mantis though, I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere.

Didn't I read somewhere that there's base customization of some sort?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
I'm seeing a lot of reviews saying 'same but more and better, but drat they have some performance issues to figure out.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
It is important to note that you have to tap the block button to parry; if you hold it down, you go into a 'block,' and when you let it go to do the next parry, you're screwed.

Took me a while to get out of 'hold it down, then release and hold it down again for the next hit' pattern.

The idea as presented in game is that if you miss the first parry, you keep holding down the block button so at least you're not taking damage. So the game assumes if you hold the block button down at all, you've given up on parrying.