Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Bubbacub posted:

If the game is Tomb Raider with a lightsaber, I'm on board for that.

According to the recent previews it's a mash up of tomb raider like traversal, with the bonfire system from the souls games right down to respawning enemies and your Medi packs working and refilling exactly like Estus flasks.

With a lightsaber and force powers.

As long as the combat feels fine, I'm ok with all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

I said come in! posted:

Easy Allies did a preview and said the Tomb Raider / Uncharted like puzzles were super easy and a weak point of the game.

I watched a that preview and don't recall them saying that at all.

Edit: If you mean the one from several months ago, maybe, however the one from this week was super up beat about the game.

Friendly Fire fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Oct 22, 2019

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

haldolium posted:

There is no going back from having seen Lightsaber dismemberment in Jedi Knight.

It just painfully WRONG for every sense of physical perception to have just ragdolls.

Most of the people in the films that get hit by lightsabers don't get visibly dismembered so this is a strange hill to die on.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

haldolium posted:

Disguised with cuts quite a lot. Also I think someone lost a hand once.

Except it's not. The only time anything is severed is to make a dramatic point and it only usually happens with named characters. (Battle droids notwithstanding)

haldolium posted:

Doesn't matter though, because JK was better as the movies in that regard.
Your joking right? The films would have had a totally different feel if limbs went flying everywhere every time a lightsaber was used. They are westerns with space wizards in them, not Tarantino gore fests.

The game was objectively mediocre in every way and it's only your nostalgia that makes you think otherwise.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

Thom12255 posted:

JK was great for its time.

Nobody even remembers it except when talking about Star wars games. It wasn't a Doom or Quake or Half Life or, you know, a great game.

I'll admit, it was good compared to other star wars games.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
Edit: never mind. It's a dumb argument anyway.

Friendly Fire fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 7, 2019

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

Captain Hygiene posted:

Accurately modeled dismemberment, but it's only possible for one arm of the companions of drunks who are antagonizing you in a bar

That shows that Obi Wan might chop your hand off for being a dick, but he doesn't need to kill you and is used to contrast against Han Solo who will straight up shoot you dead.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
Game is fun. Now I just want challenge rooms where I can just mow down wave after wave of stormtroopers.

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Do not buy this game. Youre giving EA money. Do not violate yourselves by giving EA money. EA is the devil. Do not purchase.

Go gently caress yourself.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
People use lock on outside of a boss fight?

Much like God of War, lock on is usually worse than not locking in in my experience.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
I'd rather swim fast all the time with a button to slow down for accuracy, than swim slow all the time having to repeatedly hit a button to speed up.

Or just make it a toggle between fast and slow.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i think the game needs a new game+ mode.

I just want challenge rooms where I face ever increasing waves of stormtroopers and never see a bug again.

Edit: seriously, I'd pay for a dlc add on that just gave me this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

This game breaks a bunch of rules for good combat and one of them is that the 'red aura' period for unblockables is different depending on the move. One of the reasons that the monsters aren't fun to fight is that they generally have multiple unblockables and the red aura appears for varying amounts of time before them, so players have difficulty with the timing and can't merely react to the aura.

Brawlers should never, never, never do this. If the enemy flashes or otherwise signals that it's going to attack that "flash" should always be the same amount of time before the attack across every move and enemy in the game. For example if a player hears the "I'm attacking" sound in Bayonetta they can literally dodge the attack from muscle memory regardless of where it's from, this makes the game much more fair as monsters can attack from off-screen and can be reacted to.

Speaking of off-screen, it's generally considered extremely bad form to have monsters attack from off-screen with no way to know what their attack timing or blocking is - most games have offscreen monsters try to move to get onscreen as fast as they can so they make their attacks - this game has no compunction about launching some rear end in a top hat at the player from off screen with a small buzzing noise or growl or whatever that can get drowned out by the other sound effects of the fight and just expecting the player to Deal With It. This combat system is very rough and needed some expertise from very experienced developers who have made high-rated brawlers prior.

The thing that annoys me with the combat is that it's inconsistent when I hit an enemy, whether or not it will break them out of their attack animation or not but even a basic storm trooper hitting you with his blaster causes you to stumble out of whatever you are doing.