Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
meanwhile out of 4 I know that got the game, only one has managed to install it successfully and get it running :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

it rules that half of the listed controls do not work on my controller even though the control settings menu very clearly recognizes the button combos the game just doesnt so i cant adjust trim. fuckin rules

also dont really Get It but i have gotten mild enjoyment out of crashing cessnas into my house, a mountain, and various other local landmarks

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
fs2020 configures the thrustmaster hotas i have so the paddles on the back of the throttle are trim. by default this doesnt work because the controller treats the paddle inputs as identical to the stick twist (yaw in FS2020). The way to fix it is you have to install the thrustmaster drivers and then go into the USB controller config. The drivers replace the default windows controller config with a thrustmaster one which contains an option to have the paddles send their input as a separate control. Flipping that on caused my trim to start working.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

it rules that the tutorial is like "to adjust trim up or down just press these buttons" and then pressing the buttons does absolutely nothing. this game is broken lmao

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

are you holding it long enough? on an xbox controller it's Y + up/down but pressing it once will put in like .0001% trim. hold it for 3-4 seconds and watch the indicator (the stick next to the trim wheel in the cockpit, or the bar in the graph on external view)

trim is a very subtle adjustment.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i sit there and hold it for like a minute straight and absolutely nothing happens

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhrGEdO88kE

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

This is literally what the An-2 Cub was designed for, though?

E: Also, this would be trivial on a dirigible. Advantage: dirigibles.

E2: Is this all Commercial and General or are there shootsman servers as well?

E3: And if so, is there an Owen J. Baggett mode where you're just blasting away with a pistol?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Aug 21, 2020

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Schadenboner posted:

This is literally what the An-2 Cub was designed for, though?

they need one of them STOL bush planes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPakbghLe38&t=59s

lol at 9 feet 5 inches, you could land on your driveway at home.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Shaggar posted:

fs2020 configures the thrustmaster hotas i have so the paddles on the back of the throttle are trim. by default this doesnt work because the controller treats the paddle inputs as identical to the stick twist (yaw in FS2020). The way to fix it is you have to install the thrustmaster drivers and then go into the USB controller config. The drivers replace the default windows controller config with a thrustmaster one which contains an option to have the paddles send their input as a separate control. Flipping that on caused my trim to start working.

the "xbox controllers are the official controller of windows" policy set joystick support back like a decade

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
how so? the stick works without the thrustmaster drivers, its just that some inputs are duplicated because thrustmaster didnt separate them by default. thats not microsoft's fault.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
and historically microsoft has made the only good gamepads, from the xbone all the way back to the sidewinder, so its probably the best controller family to use as a basis for everything else.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

kinda dumb that xinput only supports 4 controllers max

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

NoneMoreNegative posted:

they need one of them STOL bush planes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPakbghLe38&t=59s

lol at 9 feet 5 inches, you could land on your driveway at home.

that's essentially what the Shock Ultra in the game is. Vs0 stall speed of 21mph and a standard takeoff roll of like 90ft. in a headwind you could do what they're doing in that video

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

what is the best plane in the base no deluxness game I want something with good cockpit visibility

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

also I got trim working by just rebinding on my keyboard

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Bloody posted:

what is the best plane in the base no deluxness game I want something with good cockpit visibility

CTLS. It's fast/maneuverable enough and you can have the computer take over and fly it since it doesnt have an autopilot. either the Carbon or Savage cub if you want to gently caress around with STOL.

Extra 300 is extremely twitchy but fun if you want to canyon-race down Manhattan. Just be prepared to crash a lot from ripping the wings off recovering from an accidental snap roll.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

https://twitter.com/ewzzy/status/1296285812603211780

shareware quality from AAAA game

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah all those shareware games that come with 125 billion acres of terrain data

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Wow microsoft, you only got 99% of the entire world looking ok? loving pathetic, you wasted all your time, I could do better

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

yesterday i flew out of bhutan, and went west to land in kathmandu. the approach to kathmandu is fairly sketchy due to the terrain - you have to descend fairly quickly due to the mountains in the area. the ascent out of paro is almost scarier - the terrain is steep so you're climbing as fast as you can to get away from the cliffs all around. even knowing it's not real, and with all the glitches and limitations it still feels real enough to be exciting

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

and they managed to take back off :unsmith:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Is there a way to get the weather to be more brutal? I noticed that I can fly through a hurricane and there is almost no wind effect. I think I have all the assists off, but I'd really like some challenging winds to play around with.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAUj3dTMtrQ

Well the name of the game is 'Flight Simulator' not 'Crashing into Fiery Gibbets Simulator'

Of course whenever I crash a glider in X-Plane I always wonder where the fuel for all the fire and smoke comes from

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I wonder if they didn't do splosions because of licensing deals with manufacturers

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

MSFT doesn't do explosions and stuff out of fear idiot nerds will publish their videos repeating 9/11 or whatever and they'll get bad media coverage.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtAkzMNN9Io

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuvzm5XaY8o

:eyepop:

More: https://nmpositive.tumblr.com/post/627508266396778496/planet-earth-from-above

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Aug 26, 2020

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Do they model the Lake Mead B-29?

:colbert:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I feel like this is a missed opportunity to get a bunch of free labor on Bing maps by allowing people to submit fixes and building models, because apparently error reports for Bing maps seem to be ignored.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

i flew around in the remnants of the eye of laura, but i missed it at full strength last night before it hit the shore. wish there was an easy way to overlay the current weather over the vfr map, or rewind the live weather to an earlier point

it's neat you can do that though

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dplkwrW8Dqs
this dude's routine is awesome

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
Flight model report: FS2020 will let you fly inverted continuously in a C172 (this is not possible in real life). The various Cubs are somewhat okay but Slow Flight isn’t great on any model.

All of the Garmin screens are broken and do not have anywhere enough functionality enabled to actually fly IFR. Pressing the big blue LEVEL button does not usually do anything.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Hey it's been a few weeks since I've played MSFS, maybe I'll give it a click.

:what:

Yes I know I should have bought it on Steam. I got it on the Game Pass and decided to just cancel that and buy the game on the Windows Store because I didn't want to re download the whole game on Steam.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ah that's too bad. it has a fun halloween landing challenge right now where you fly through a thunderstorm in the romanian countryside and land in a field lit up by jack-o-lanterns

(clouds look chunky because nvidia is STILL loving the dog and i have no 3080!!!!)

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Apparently when I had Game Pass and decided I wanted to buy the game outright and cancel Game Pass I just bought an "upgrade" that disappeared into thin air when Game Pass expired. Should be fun calling Microsoft and explaining that to some underpaid outsourced call center worker tomorrow.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Jimmy Carter posted:

Flight model report: FS2020 will let you fly inverted continuously in a C172 (this is not possible in real life).

is that because they would be oil-starved or something else?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

oil starvation, yes, and also the fuel system is gravity-feed. fuel injected variants have a pump but it's on the engine, and the tanks are up in the wings.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

ah that's too bad. it has a fun halloween landing challenge right now where you fly through a thunderstorm in the romanian countryside and land in a field lit up by jack-o-lanterns

(clouds look chunky because nvidia is STILL loving the dog and i have no 3080!!!!)

i did that one and got about 800k points first try, the storm was pretty. i think all the landing challenges stick around though, so they'll still be able to see it

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Meant to be an update with Ice, Snow and VR SUPPORT today sometime :cool:

https://uploadvr.com/microsoft-flight-simulator-snow/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Have they patched flyable dirigibles in yet?