Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Also, has anyone pointed out that "HOTAS" is semi-homophonic for "Hot rear end"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
wait until you hear about cock pits

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Zlodo posted:

wait until you hear about cock pits

I don't get it?

:confused:

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
Visual studio 2022 just came out this month, and its finally 64-bit! Just over 18 years after the first x86-64 processor was released and 20 years since the spec was released.

Perplx fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 29, 2021

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

Also, has anyone pointed out that "HOTAS" is semi-homophonic for "Hot rear end"?

only gays have hot asses

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Perplx posted:

Visual studio 2022 just came out this month, and its finally 64-bit! Just over 18 years after the first x86-64 processor was released and 20 years since the spec was released.

but does it work with my thrustmaster hotas?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

akadajet posted:

only gays have hot asses

absolute lies

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

not simulator, more real world, but there's a new aviation company, beta aviation, here that's building electric quad + 1 rotor aircraft. flies like full size aircraft, but takes off vertically. there's a fifth rotor perpendicular that acts as a propeller

there's a nice writeup here, and related reading:

https://www.sevendaysvt.com/OffMessage/archives/2021/05/18/ready-for-takeoff-beta-plans-to-manufacture-its-electric-planes-at-btv

i like how it looks; it's not just prototype either they're slated to build hundreds already for consumer use. they may end up expanding significantly, and already have contracts w/ the usps and a few others. they can lift a bunch and fly surprisingly far, which makes them useful for cargo or air taxi work

e: also this one has more related details

https://www.sevendaysvt.com/vermont...nt?oid=32957639

Broken Machine fucked around with this message at 02:54 on May 19, 2021

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

can it fit more tha one american? my understanding of other quads is their payload is so small it can fit one adult american and one non-techincal child and *maybe* their luggage

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

can it fit more tha one american? my understanding of other quads is their payload is so small it can fit one adult american and one non-techincal child and *maybe* their luggage

second article says up to six people, it has a good enough payload to where the usps is going to test it, and may buy a bunch of them if they work well. also batteries are improving rapidly

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

theyre doing a free top gun expansion later this year, guess we'll be able to fly f-18s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ6XpfaWbko

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

apparently they've been making improvements to the engine for the upcoming series x release so a patch at the end of July should greatly improve performance. not dx12 although that is also coming at some point

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

big performance patch drops for pc today, and I do mean big. update in windows store first and then you'll have the privilege of downloading a 122GB patch very slowly.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i downloaded it already and it seems to not boost the high end all that much for me (3900x / 3070 / 32gb) but it no longer lags and drops low. before i would get like 50-55 and it would regularly drop to 20 then spike back up. now the framerates are in the low 60s and they're rock solid. it definitely feels significantly smoother as a result.

also there are some nice tweaks to the ui, like the world map actually has cities and poo poo on it now. much better

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

its been downloading for like 8 hours, currently at 41%, and its using 60% gpu (RTX3070) the entire time. microsoft is owning me

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
good to know they've pivoted to crypto mining during the update process. looking forward to many new builds

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

according to geforce thingy it's cause they are rendering the update window at 600 fps.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

boy am I glad they stop the background music when you alt tab away from the update window

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

gently caress airplanes big up trains

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

carry on then posted:

boy am I glad they stop the background music when you alt tab away from the update window

you can also mute on a per application basis in the volume mixer

e: mine's still updating

Broken Machine fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jul 28, 2021

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Just lol if you haven't learnt to cap the FPS as low as it will go every time this garbage needs an update.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

i downloaded it already and it seems to not boost the high end all that much for me (3900x / 3070 / 32gb) but it no longer lags and drops low. before i would get like 50-55 and it would regularly drop to 20 then spike back up. now the framerates are in the low 60s and they're rock solid. it definitely feels significantly smoother as a result.

also there are some nice tweaks to the ui, like the world map actually has cities and poo poo on it now. much better

yeah this is my experience too, some lift on the high end and much smoother overall. man, what a gorgeous game

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

i've been playing this mostly w/ just a basic 560 and it runs surprisingly well (it's a fast comp otherwise), especially after this newest update. one thing that's a bit bothersome now, after the update they changed the pause menu a bit, and near as i can figure out on the pc version you can't unpause with the controller? there's no button displayed as mapped to resume; i could use the pause button on the keyboard for active pause, but it's dumb that i used to be able to toggle pause / unpause on the controller, and for now it seems like i can't. i can pause w/ the controller, but then i need to mouse over to and click on the resume button (that doesn't map to any button on the controller, and there's no entry to remap it)

seems nice otherwise so far

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

DirectX 12 support coming in mid-November :pcgaming:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

honestly they made a massive improvement to performance a couple updates ago so i'm less concerned about dx12 now than i used to be.

but yeah here's hoping it makes it even better :pcgaming:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the ultimate in flight simulation gaming

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

sounds like it was a hell of a ride when it was operational

wonder if the old mission control software is in some archive somewhere. i bet that'd really put the hercules emulator through its paces lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i would love to see that thing in action, just the whole setup with mission control and everything

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

infernal machines posted:

i would love to see that thing in action, just the whole setup with mission control and everything

it's definitely sad that they didn't get the whole thing up and running again

i've been continuing to enjoy flight 2020. it's finally to the point where most of the basics work

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

so, still no explosions eh

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

apparently there’s an update today adding f/a-18 specific missions, a carrier landing challenge, and a hypersonic (mach 10) plane you can use to reach the upper atmosphere

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Jenny Agutter posted:

apparently there’s an update today adding f/a-18 specific missions, a carrier landing challenge, and a hypersonic (mach 10) plane you can use to reach the upper atmosphere

I need to get back into flight sim. this sounds fun

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Gee I wonder if Microsoft is on such a tear to jump to ARM that they'll do an ARM version of FS

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

to run on what? a snapdragon?

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

infernal machines posted:

to run on what? a snapdragon?

it'd be nice if you could run this on the new m1 macs. i would like one that worked for ai / vr, and right now that basically rules out os x

i haven't checked out the new update yet, but i finally have all the gear for running the vr smoothly with this and have had fun with that. i've been meaning to check out the new flights, especially the super speedy one across the us. that sounds fun

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

why, are you just a big apple fan? that’s like saying I would like a table saw that can drill holes and drive screws

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Jenny Agutter posted:

why, are you just a big apple fan? that’s like saying I would like a table saw that can drill holes and drive screws

i just really like the os x ui and am way more familiar w/ a unix shell. i fumble around on windows, but i deal with it because it runs this and elden ring. if i could do so on a nice laptop w/ os x off the shelf i would happily ditch windows

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
heres a version that works on m1, op

https://archive.org/details/MicrosoftFlightSimulator5.1_1020

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

went through some of the update; it's pretty good. the supersonic flight, it's kind of dumb - you probably have to drop altitude while it's telling you to climb, in order to be going fast enough when it tells you to invert, to further gain speed, in order to actually get going fast enough to make the transition to supersonic at mach 3+

here's a youtube detailing the workaround:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh94xCy31YU

but, some gameplay issues aside it's pretty good. i've been practicing landing on the carrier but it's tricky on a controller - think i may actually finally set up a hotas i have on the shelf for that maybe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Sorry to necro this thread but an interesting article on Bruce Artwick, who wrote the first Flight Simulator on PCs:

https://airandspace.si.edu/air-and-space-quarterly/spring-2023/pilot-program

some gems:

before computers, imulators used to use tiny scale models of landscapes with a TV camera passing over them

the first version of Flight Simulator ran on the Apple ][ and was later ported to the TRS-80, wow must've been like 1-3 FPS if they were lucky

-it first shipped on cassette

the text says this is from the IBM PC version but I'm 100% sure that's a mistake as that's the classic HGR1 mode on the Apple ][ of graphics/text