Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

my bitter bi rival posted:

leeeerooooooyyyyy planekins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

my bitter bi rival posted:

leeeerooooooyyyyy planekins

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I like pleasure spiked with pain and nerdlings sperg 'bout aeroplanes

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

back when I was four, maybe five years old we had a Tandy 1000 desktop with MS-DOS 6.2, DeskMate Desktop (came on 20 floppies in a box), and Microsoft Flight Simulator v4.0

All I ever figured out how to do was take off from O'Hare in a Cessna 182 (at about 3 frames per second), circle around, and land again (badly, 'cos what kid knows what flaps are)

one time i pitched 90 degrees by accident, headed toward the ground and proceeded to scream bloody murder until mom turned the computer off

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

back when I was four, maybe five years old we had a Tandy 1000 desktop with MS-DOS 6.2, DeskMate Desktop (came on 20 floppies in a box), and Microsoft Flight Simulator v4.0

All I knew how to do was take off from O'Hare in a Cessna 182 at about 3 frames per second, circle around, and land again (badly, 'cos what kid knows what flaps are)

one time i pitched 90 degrees by accident, headed toward the ground and proceeded to scream bloody murder until mom turned the computer off

one of my earliest computer memories was playing i think flight sim for windows 95. i remember the planes used to break into pieces if you crashed them which i suppose MS removed after 9/11

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I liked the ventrilo harassment vid.

I used to play Jetfighter I and II and the latter thought the F-23 was going to win the ATF competition and so was the primary plane of the game. Thanks to flight sims I still invert the y-axis in any FPS

Using a flight simulator also reminded me of this article:
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/07/mh370-malaysia-airlines/590653/

quote:

Forensic examinations of Zaharie’s simulator by the FBI revealed that he experimented with a flight profile roughly matching that of MH370—a flight north around Indonesia followed by a long run to the south, ending in fuel exhaustion over the Indian Ocean. ...
Of all the profiles extracted from the simulator, the one that matched MH370’s path was the only one that Zaharie did not run as a continuous flight—in other words, taking off on the simulator and letting the flight play out, hour after hour, until it reached the destination airport. Instead he advanced the flight manually in multiple stages, repeatedly jumping the flight forward and subtracting the fuel as necessary until it was gone.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
A friend tried to get me into BMS flightsim. It's impressive for its price ($ 0.00 if you own Falcon 4.0, which you can often grab for a fiver) but I never got the plane moving.

I'll just stick to Corncob 3D.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

DCS is better and it's also free for the first two planes.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Remember that Microsoft Flight game they released a few years ago where you could only fly around one tiny part of one island in Hawaii and only with two planes and then everything in the world was gonna be a DLC buy?

I think they canceled the whole project within a month of launch.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I will get this game provided there is a yospos server with green and amber planes flying dogfights.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Salt Fish posted:

I will get this game provided there is a yospos server with green and amber planes flying dogfights.

In the F-14 and F/A-18, which you can fly in DCS, all of the displays are green monochrome and when you run the radar warning receiver self-test it plays a bunch of missile command noises and flashes vector graphics on the screens

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Stick Insect posted:

I'll just stick to Corncob 3D.

i had so much fun with this when it came out

Scope
Jun 6, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

DCS is better and it's also free for the first two planes.

DCS is better for airframe fidelity and if you get a boner from clicking every switch in the cockpit. If you want to actually fly missions that are fun and have the option of a dynamically generated campaign, BMS is the way to go.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Civilian flight simulation is where it's at, who cares about military.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

the prospect of flying around a reasonably detailed real Earth with well modeled planes and real weather sounds pretty great, hopefully it'll be good

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Broken Machine posted:

the prospect of flying around a reasonably detailed real Earth with well modeled planes and real weather sounds pretty great, hopefully it'll be good

RON HOWARD VOICE: It wouldn't be.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I hope they port it to mobile

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

I hope they port it to mobile

RON HOWARD VOICE: gently caress off, Moo Cow.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I just got xplane and a yoke and am playing with the little cessna it starts you off with

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Scope posted:

DCS is better for airframe fidelity and if you get a boner from clicking every switch in the cockpit.

Boy do I ever

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
looking forward to microsoft loving this up and making another simcity 2013

Scope
Jun 6, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Boy do I ever

:hfive:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
i remember stories from the golden days of consulting pre-first pop. setting up ms flight sim for execs for $300/hr

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
my ex-gf's uncle did the map art for Falcon 4. nobody told me and when he died I helped clear out his house and I found all this old Falcon 4 stuff and they said "oh yeah he did the art for the map and some other stuff".

digging deeper into it he also did art for Leather Goddesses of Phobos and some other Infocom graphical titles.

somewhere around my place I have a rolled up giant Falcon 4 map poster.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxgWM1pE958&hd=1

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Is there a way to fly an A-10 in these softwares?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6VAm_97nwQ

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 28, 2019

pram
Jun 10, 2001

i assume hardcore players print out the actual checklists and methodically go down each step

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

pram posted:

i assume hardcore players print out the actual checklists and duct tape them to their inner thigh

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

printing out the checklists is a basic tier move. i have physical copies and a real kneeboard and i'm fairly casual as DCS spergs go.

hardcore players in this arena have $20,000 replica A-10 cockpits and they wear air force surplus flight suits and helmets to play the game.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

flight simulator is microsofts longest running product line

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

pram posted:

i assume hardcore players print out the actual checklists and methodically go down each step

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7oAUOR1dJ0&t=608s

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

lol

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sagebrush posted:

printing out the checklists is a basic tier move. i have physical copies and a real kneeboard and i'm fairly casual as DCS spergs go.

hardcore players in this arena have $20,000 replica A-10 cockpits and they wear air force surplus flight suits and helmets to play the game.

This is one of those games you can’t play with a mouse isn’t it?

:ohdear:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

This is a great example of the flight sim community because he's probably spent like $25,000+ on that setup yet he can't even keep the plane on the centerline when taxiing or in the takeoff roll

Schadenboner posted:

This is one of those games you can’t play with a mouse isn’t it?

:ohdear:

You can play it with a keyboard alone if you want, but that's not the point of the game. If you don't enjoy learning procedures and clicking thousands of switches, just play battlefield or something because those games are a lot more polished and the gameplay is better

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jul 29, 2019

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sagebrush posted:

If you don't enjoy learning procedures and clicking thousands of switches

:dong:

But what game is it? Is this is the one that AirForceProud1488 or whatever is always on about?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

it's dcs world

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

akadajet posted:

it's dcs world

i mean, it's in the title of the video and also the description of the video

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i feel like if you lack the attention to detail required to ascertain what the name of the game is from the information available, dcs may not really be the experience you're looking for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

wtf