Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

akadajet posted:

it's dcs' world

The rest of us just live in it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
"i just felt a little vibration in the seat there, pretty cool" :quagmire:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Wait: is loss of hydraulics only a pan-pan?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I guess this could be the Aviation General thread too.

Is PlanePlotter the best software for ATC plotting? If not what would be? Does it work in :fsmug: land?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

That website is an assault on my eyes

cZk
Oct 6, 2014

i am a flight risk
and i am in flight
pretty excited for this, the sight-seeing looks amazing

gonna check out area 51 first thing

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

Wait: is loss of hydraulics only a pan-pan?

The official international standard is to call pan-pan when declaring an urgent situation and mayday when declaring an emergency. Many people have died because they didn't think a situation warranted being called an emergency and didn't declare it soon enough, so the FAA and most other authorities suggest that you err on the side of caution and declare an emergency anytime there's something that might threaten the safety of the flight. As a result everybody in real life says mayday so the only place you'll hear pan-pan is with internet spergs.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 2, 2019

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sagebrush posted:

The official international standard is to call pan-pan when declaring an urgent situation and mayday when declaring an emergency. Many people have died because they didn't think a situation warranted being called an emergency and didn't declare it soon enough, so the FAA and most other authorities suggest that you err on the side of caution and declare an emergency anytime there's something that might threaten the safety of the flight. As a result everybody in real life says mayday so the only place you'll hear pan-pan is with internet spergs.

Someone had better contact the Los Santos FAA and make that lucaas guy “call the tower” (as the kids say these days).

:ohdear:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sagebrush posted:

i wonder if pan-pan occurs more often on boats, where there are fewer things that can cause immediate death

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

pan-pan is not uncommon on boats ya

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

itt a bunch of computer touchers are amazing that hobbyists enjoy escapism via being cool pilot guys and invest time and money into it

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

SRQ posted:

itt a bunch of computer touchers are amazing that hobbyists enjoy escapism via being cool pilot guys and invest time and money into it

Yeah..heh... I'm sure we'll all just really "amazing" lmfao nice post you idiot!!!!!

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

SRQ posted:

i've been playing with xplane ever since the fs2020 trailer came out lol

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i like flight sims they are fun

im wanna build a little sim with that formerly saitek stuff that's now logitech brand. that'd rule.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sniep posted:

i like flight sims they are fun

im wanna build a little sim with that formerly saitek stuff that's now logitech brand. that'd rule.

i ended up buying a saitek/logitech yoke and rudder. the build quality is kind of "meh" though

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

Yeah..heh... I'm sure we'll all just really "amazing" lmfao nice post you idiot!!!!!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

akadajet posted:

i ended up buying a saitek/logitech yoke and rudder. the build quality is kind of "meh" though

Yeah that's been my experience too. Logitech used to have some really high quality flight sim gear but they kind of got out of that business over the last 10 years. Thrustmaster stuff is what you wanna get.

Schadenboner posted:

Someone had better contact the Los Santos FAA and make that lucaas guy “call the tower” (as the kids say these days).

:ohdear:

Calling pan-pan instead of mayday is not a pilot deviation. Failing to take an emergency situation seriously can be, though. But it looks like he was able to land fine so at worst they might say in the report "pilots should be advised hydraulic system failure is an emergency condition and warrants a mayday call."

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 4, 2019

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah that's been my experience too. Logitech used to have some really high quality flight sim gear but they kind of got out of that business over the last 10 years. Thrustmaster stuff is what you wanna get.

shame cuz logitech is what im prolly gonna get. but i am lookin to get the whole setup with the half dozen pack of multi-gauge displays and radio and nav controllers and all

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

i miss my x-52

it was in a great price range of pricey, but reasonable, and worked well for me.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

akadajet posted:

i've been playing with xplane ever since the fs2020 trailer came out lol

You should check out Aerofly FS 2 as well!

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
I hope they improve ATC and AI plane behavior in this iteration of Flight Simulator. Older versions, ATC and ground traffic was horrible. The tower would often send my plane to the wrong runway (10,000 ft. runway for a B747!) or I'd often have to go around because the AI planes took forever to land and taxi off the runway.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Just tell the ATC unable. Duh

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

trilljester posted:

I hope they improve ATC and AI plane behavior in this iteration of Flight Simulator. Older versions, ATC and ground traffic was horrible. The tower would often send my plane to the wrong runway (10,000 ft. runway for a B747!) or I'd often have to go around because the AI planes took forever to land and taxi off the runway.

That's why you fly online on IVAO or VATSIM.

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

i tried playing this and some other FiveM servers but that mod is home to teh worst spergs on the internet

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

roboshit posted:

i tried playing this and some other FiveM servers but that mod is home to teh worst spergs on the internet

well yeah it's a filter

You have to be:
Prereq: Care about flight simulation and air traffic, but not have the money to just buy FSX or X- Plane
A: Millennial (Mostly, otherwise you wont' own GTA5)
B: Understand how to mod GTA5

By the time this has filtered through all you're left with is either 14 year old hyper-spergs who are using their brothers copy of GTA5, or 30 year olds that want to feel cool because they're in charge of the former.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

all this effort to mod 777s and ATC and poo poo into a game that has one airport

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

just read a big profile on this.
- all world assets are streamed from bing maps backend
- real-time weather simulation based on real weather telemetry, all players experience the same weather
- planes are being modeled with help from manufacturers
- built with modding in mind for those weirdo ATC guys, will have in game mod store
- no plans for vr
- last game this studio made was fuel, they were chosen for their streaming assets/procedural generation experience

so the faster your internet connection the higher quality the world. the software does some local fudging of the maps data which apparently leads to fun bugs

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
ars did a preview of it

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

can i make lovely planes and try to fly them tho

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Endless Mike posted:

can i make lovely planes and try to fly them tho

im sure itll have the 737 max

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Agile Vector posted:

im sure itll have the 737 max

given that it is a french developer, accurately simulating the mcas behavior would be a pretty awsome little national pride kinda easter egg

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
lmao that it's made by asobo of all people
all the devs working there aren't of the highest quality, let's say

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Zlodo posted:

lmao that it's made by asobo of all people
all the devs working there aren't of the highest quality, let's say

oh really the developer primarily known for cheap disney tie-ins doesn't have a great reputation?

(not that i have any idea, i had never heard of them until today!)

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

oh really the developer primarily known for cheap disney tie-ins doesn't have a great reputation?

(not that i have any idea, i had never heard of them until today!)

they helped us on our game and well it wasnt widely considered a pleasant experience, although tbf they probably didn't assign their a team on our project either

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
is there a world trade center mod

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jenny Agutter posted:

just read a big profile on this.
- all world assets are streamed from bing maps backend
- real-time weather simulation based on real weather telemetry, all players experience the same weather
- planes are being modeled with help from manufacturers
- built with modding in mind for those weirdo ATC guys, will have in game mod store
- no plans for vr
- last game this studio made was fuel, they were chosen for their streaming assets/procedural generation experience

so the faster your internet connection the higher quality the world. the software does some local fudging of the maps data which apparently leads to fun bugs

i would expect that you can also set the weather locally so you don't have to wait for december if you want to fly in the snow.

but ya the game looks fantastic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj8h6yibHHc

(new footage starts at 3:30)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

is there a world trade center mod

i am sure there will be at some point. there are a number of historical airports that people might want to fly to (meigs field, kai tak, etc) and someone will cater to that market.

there's no way it would realistically happen but i think it would be super cool to use historical aerial photos to make an expansion pack set in some particular era. e.g. fly a 707 from jfk to lax in 1962, with period-accurate scenery and navigation

it's kinda funny reading the popular press on this thing; one article i saw was going like "the modeling will be so detailed that extending your landing gear will slow you down!!" and "spiraling airflow from the propeller will affect the way the plane flies!!!" and it's like yes, parasitic drag and the slipstream effect are extremely important parts of light aircraft aerodynamics and flight sims have been simulating that for, um, ever

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sagebrush posted:

i am sure there will be at some point. there are a number of historical airports that people might want to fly to (meigs field, kai tak, etc) and someone will cater to that market.

there's no way it would realistically happen but i think it would be super cool to use historical aerial photos to make an expansion pack set in some particular era. e.g. fly a 707 from jfk to lax in 1962, with period-accurate scenery and navigation

it's kinda funny reading the popular press on this thing; one article i saw was going like "the modeling will be so detailed that extending your landing gear will slow you down!!" and "spiraling airflow from the propeller will affect the way the plane flies!!!" and it's like yes, parasitic drag and the slipstream effect are extremely important parts of light aircraft aerodynamics and flight sims have been simulating that for, um, ever

Now if only a flight simulator could simulate this thing hu-mons call ...love.

:smith:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Schadenboner posted:

Now if only a flight simulator could simulate this thing hu-mons call ...love.

:smith:

tesla doesn’t make planes though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Soricidus posted:

tesla doesn’t make planes though?

thank god