Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

What I really wanna know is.. how realistic are the crashes?

I don't wanna see some cop-out text screen of "Oh, aww, you made an oopsie, we're not going to render an exploding plane just so you can get your chuckles. Close your eyes and pretend you see blossoms of explosive carnage"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

So they'll just copy the X-Plane method which shows the plane remaining seemingly intact even after an impact at Mach speeds.

Just clouds of smoke and the plane slowly sinking into the ground like it was being dissolved in acid, gotcha.

maybe I'm not searching hard enough but nobody seems to have any crashing video from 2020?

Edit: huh just tried Xplane on the stebephone and the Cessna breaks into three neat gibbets (that bounce like rubber balls) after a straight dive from 9000 ft. with fire and smoke at least.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Nov 19, 2019

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

sounds very Star Citizen-y to me

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

not a single goddamn video on FS2020 shows any crashes worth a poo poo

i wonder if that's intentional

that's what the xplane 11 guy is working on for 12- spectacular crashes

stormovik crashes not bad but watching the props lock even during a crash takes me out of it

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

no one bothering to render exquisite explosions and flaming gibbets tumbling in slow motion? Bah

oh well back to playing A-10 on the retro simulator and seeing how far the pilot gets thrown when he drops the nuke while parked on the runway

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

what we need now: Microsoft Crash Simulator

or carmageddon for planes

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Schadenboner posted:

How can I poop-bomb your grandma's snowy cottage then?

:(

https://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-flight-simulator-will-support-mods/

write a mod

All jets will carry 230 liters of a brownish inflammable fluid, big red plunger marked POOP next to carburetor heat will drop it on unsuspecting scenery

So I'm thinking hmm yeah maybe someone will write the mod that lets you smash into scenery and divide the plane into 16,384 burning fragments..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Broken Machine posted:

i did have some slowdowns w/ manhattan and jfk airport, but generally it's been pretty smooth on a midrange pc

is it post-911 Manhattan?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

oh good gonna see if Fifth Avenue makes a good landing strip

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/ewzzy/status/1296285812603211780

shareware quality from AAAA game

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAUj3dTMtrQ

Well the name of the game is 'Flight Simulator' not 'Crashing into Fiery Gibbets Simulator'

Of course whenever I crash a glider in X-Plane I always wonder where the fuel for all the fire and smoke comes from

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

so, still no explosions eh

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Gee I wonder if Microsoft is on such a tear to jump to ARM that they'll do an ARM version of FS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Sorry to necro this thread but an interesting article on Bruce Artwick, who wrote the first Flight Simulator on PCs:

https://airandspace.si.edu/air-and-space-quarterly/spring-2023/pilot-program

some gems:

before computers, imulators used to use tiny scale models of landscapes with a TV camera passing over them

the first version of Flight Simulator ran on the Apple ][ and was later ported to the TRS-80, wow must've been like 1-3 FPS if they were lucky

-it first shipped on cassette

the text says this is from the IBM PC version but I'm 100% sure that's a mistake as that's the classic HGR1 mode on the Apple ][ of graphics/text