Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Although apparently you do unlock new abilities and attacks as you go and some of those are needed to pick up things in prior stages. It sounds like the secret-hunting makes it more like Rondo than the older classicvanias.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It has about as much exploration as the Curse of the Moon games, ie it's there and there are upgrades for doing so, and you can return to stages to get stuff, but it's not an really exploratory key-and-lock sort of game. People saw the JONATHAN/CHARLOTTE mechanic and immediately thought it'd be a Portrait of Ruin-style game but it's not.

The bigger turnoff is that it's a GalGun game.

the rat fandom
Apr 28, 2010
Grim guardians feels like a stage based metroidvania without really feeling like a classicvania somehow. Its alright, but both of intis bloodstained games are much better.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I think part of it is they went for a more detailed art style but skimped on a lot of the backgrounds, so the stages feel a lot more sparse and empty than they would if they were drawn with lower detail.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

It's more like the Record of Lodoss: Deedlit in Wonderlabrynth game if you played that (it's good)

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

The Deedlit game was a lot of fun, but needed to be like three times larger

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

I don't know. I think they'd need to extend it with more gameplay mechanics or something. If they could do that without making it convoluted then sure.

I actually started playing the Luna Nights game from them on Steam deck after a long break. I think it's a cool game with the time mechanics, but it's more mega man than castlevania. Not as into it.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

https://www.siliconera.com/grim-guardians-demon-purge-name-changing-to-gal-guardians/

https://twitter.com/IntiCreatesEN/status/1633660444425723904?t=53-YUulbUQmLBBvRc1sSqQ&s=19

lmao

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

lol

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
They got owned by a lovely mobile game

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Is that game even any good? I was interested until I saw some footage of the game and the characters did the Inti Creates thing of constant high pitched anime shouting and I couldn't handle it

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Heath posted:

Is that game even any good? I was interested until I saw some footage of the game and the characters did the Inti Creates thing of constant high pitched anime shouting and I couldn't handle it

The demo was really good, at least. But not $25 when I have a massive backlog good, so I can't tell you about the rest of the game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's pretty much the two CotM spin offs they did but with a 16-bit aesthetic instead of 8-bit, so it depends how much you like classicvania I guess.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Also a bunch of Gal Gun horniness and creep poo poo reportedly.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

From the video posted earlier you have to sexually molest the final boss to defeat and upon seeing that I moped right the duck out

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

ImpAtom posted:

From the video posted earlier you have to sexually molest the final boss to defeat and upon seeing that I moped right the duck out

New phone?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Heath posted:

New phone?

Yes, ironically

I clearly meant I coped the puck out.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I think he's just currently posting from The Good Place

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Some good and bad news.

Good news: An official update with some previews of Co-Op & Chaos Modes, some paid DLC costumes, and paid DLC for Classic Mode 2.

Bad news: More delays.

https://v.redd.it/3nbe7ahlcomb1/DASH_1080.mp4

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Just make Bloodstained 2 guys. I guarantee no one will hold it against you

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
I think they'd be crazy to not have started development on it by now. There's no way they've just been working on stretch goals for the past 4 years

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Bloodstained 2 is in development according to 505 Games' financial reports.

Is the last batch of Kickstarter goals?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

That classic mode looks kinda cool, but yeah it's wild that they still haven't announced a sequel. It's been four years! I know COVID probably threw a wrench into things, like it did for everything, but c'mon.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
It's an interesting case study in the vein of the "early" Kickstarted games having stretch goals that reach to the loving moon and the realities of having to commit to those goals. Of course no one would blame them for being like "gently caress it we're rolling this content into the next game" at this point but at the same time they already have this engine and they can use it to develop what are basically new classic Castlevania games as well as giving a few breadcrumb sparks of interest every year or so in a game which has already seen the lion's share of its success

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
It's kind of a bizarre combination of very admirable and a little confusing. They've labored extremely hard to keep their promises even years late - leading to stuff like the Child of Light collab years after that game was remotely relevant - when basically every other kickstarter I'm aware of would have long since cut the rope and said "sorry folks maybe next game".

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I just assumed that was how Japanese devs handled their Kickstarter promises.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Maybe things have changed from when this was Kickstarted, but my understanding is that they're legally obligated to deliver all of the stretch goals. I think that's the only reason they haven't said gently caress it…

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
I think it's an excellent testament to society that dedication and commitment are see as bad business moves

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The problem is they're dedicated and committed to stuff I dont care about.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Kheldarn posted:

Maybe things have changed from when this was Kickstarted, but my understanding is that they're legally obligated to deliver all of the stretch goals. I think that's the only reason they haven't said gently caress it…

They're not legally obligated to do anything except put in a good faith effort, ie not commit fraud. Kickstarter is full of warnings about "YOU MAY NEVER GET THE REWARDS, ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO THROW YOUR MONEY AWAY???" and there's countless stories of projects quietly dying. Obviously the companies behind bigger name projects who want to turn it into a career, especially when established names (and egos) with a reputation to consider are involved, have a huge incentive to make good, but features being changed or dropped is to be expected.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Especially when it's online content for a game that came out years ago and probably has no active player base anymore.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Lol there are no true Kickstarter consequences

The vita and 3ds versions of mn9 never came out and if you picked that platform you may have been literally hosed??? Not sure if they let you switch

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
You can't buy MN9 in any capacity now unless you get a physical PS4 version, I think.

edit: nevermind, it's still on Steam I guess. I thought it was gone

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Shuka posted:

I think it's an excellent testament to society that dedication and commitment are see as bad business moves

the Kickstarter was 8 years ago

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I really wonder if Bloodstained 2 might end up being a 3D game or something because it seems like they're burning through all their 2D ideas on the original game.

I also wish that, if they're going to keep working on this game til the end of time, they'd give the Switch port another pass.

the rat fandom
Apr 28, 2010
I find it pretty admirable they're working this hard to keep themselves honest, especially when other devs break their promises for basic features like couch coop and redirect those resources towards modes that are easier to monetize.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Give me bloodstained 2 goddammit all these other metroidvanias draw from the wrong parent.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
If I haven't picked up Bloodstained again since the initial launch, would I marvel at how different the game is now? Is there a ton of new content built up over the past 4 years?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

It's not massively different, couple extra areas rolled into the main game which are questionably interesting but can be useful, some additional characters and modes, stuff like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
It runs a lot smoother, at least.