Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Borrowed Ladder posted:

If I haven't picked up Bloodstained again since the initial launch, would I marvel at how different the game is now? Is there a ton of new content built up over the past 4 years?

Bloodless is really hot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puckanas
Dec 11, 2004

An extraordinary moron!
The Switch version is currently $12 on the eshop, how does it run compared to other consoles?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Poorly. But it's functional.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Puckanas posted:

The Switch version is currently $12 on the eshop, how does it run compared to other consoles?
It's currently :10bux: on Steam and having played and beaten both the Switch and Steam versions, I'd recommend Steam any day of the week. Unless you absolutely have to have it portable - and don't have a Steam Deck - buy the Steam version. It'll run better in literally every aspect and look better to boot.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I've bought the game on Switch (the first time) and it ran so poorly I bought it digitally on PS4 the same day (the second time) and then when I got a PC that was worth a poo poo I bought it on Steam (the third time) and got 100% achievements on it.

I recommend you do this in the opposite order that I did it

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It annoys me that the Switch version is still so bad because they did a mobile port with a minimum spec lower than Switch and it runs better but they never bothered to go back and patch Switch again, and I bet that where a significant number of the buyers were, even in spite of that version being known to run poorly.

Puckanas
Dec 11, 2004

An extraordinary moron!

Commander Keene posted:

It's currently :10bux: on Steam and having played and beaten both the Switch and Steam versions, I'd recommend Steam any day of the week. Unless you absolutely have to have it portable - and don't have a Steam Deck - buy the Steam version. It'll run better in literally every aspect and look better to boot.

Thanks, but unfortunately, my PC is less than subpar for gaming. It's Switch or bust, for now.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
I played on Switch and was fine with the experience. Performance isn't great but it's not unplayable.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, I beat the game first on pre-patch Switch and while it was rough it wasn't unplayable. The input lag made most of the weapon specials (which are done with fighting game-style inputs like the spells from SOTN) almost impossible to pull off reliably, though.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

From Community Manager The Question over on Reddit:

Hi, everyone.

Thursday September 14th, I'll be running a preview livestream of Chaos and VS modes on Twitch. If you can't tune in, I'll upload the stream to the Bloodstained YouTube channel.

See you there!

Watch Live On Twitch 🟪 https://505.games/BSROTNLivestream

11:00 PST / 19:00 BST / 20:00 CEST / 3:00 JST

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I really wonder if Bloodstained 2 might end up being a 3D game or something because it seems like they're burning through all their 2D ideas on the original game.

I also wish that, if they're going to keep working on this game til the end of time, they'd give the Switch port another pass.

It will probably be another 2D game but we've come a long way since the original game so maybe this time it will actually look good.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

WaltherFeng posted:

It will probably be another 2D game but we've come a long way since the original game so maybe this time it will actually look good.

I know it's asking a lot but Bloodstained with some of the Arc System Works juice would be loving cool.

Edit: I am also just a total Iga mark and if he had kept releasing Castlevania games that were only as different from each other as all the ones he actually released I would have kept buying them full price.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The DS Igavanias were all clearly built on the same foundation, but each of them is a distinctive experience with its own flavor and pros and cons, so yeah I'd also buy an endless series of "Iga makes slightly different metroidvanias".

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kanos posted:

The DS Igavanias were all clearly built on the same foundation, but each of them is a distinctive experience with its own flavor and pros and cons, so yeah I'd also buy an endless series of "Iga makes slightly different metroidvanias".
:hmmyes:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Kanos posted:

i’d like him to team up with vanillaware or some other studio that does bespoke limited-animation graphics. the only real con i have for bloodstained is the visuals

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I think it ended up looking pretty alright overall. It's nothing stand out but the game doesn't look bad. The Shantae people stepped in to do a lot of cleaning up I think

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

scary ghost dog posted:

i’d like him to team up with vanillaware or some other studio that does bespoke limited-animation graphics. the only real con i have for bloodstained is the visuals

The major con I have for bloodstained is that point where you have to go get a soul drop from an enemy to progress but you're not actually told this and can't go underwater without it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Bloodstained's visuals are mostly a consequence of them having to switch external devs multiple times, but they've been working directly with Wayforward for years now and if they make another game from scratch with them for the entire production cycle it'll probably be fine.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Zereth posted:

The major con I have for bloodstained is that point where you have to go get a soul drop from an enemy to progress but you're not actually told this and can't go underwater without it.

that and the trap immune armor location are my two gripes with the game flow since they aren't signposted at all.

also not realizing how to get past the bad ends and then being so over leveled that it was a struggle to not overkill the boss

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Zereth posted:

probably a focalor boss fight got cut there ::(

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
My gripe with the game is how terribly it still runs on the switch

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Yeah. Get it on PS4 or PC.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

How's the randomizer these days anyway?

The last time I tried it was pretty close to release and my seed was impossible so I gave up :shobon:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Heath posted:

Yeah. Get it on PS4 or PC.

Cool kids play it on Xbox. How dare you omit the cool kids from playing this fun game. :colbert:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I literally didn't know it was on Xbox

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Heath posted:

I literally didn't know it was on Xbox

:aaaaa:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Meowywitch posted:

The last time I tried it was pretty close to release and my seed was impossible so I gave up :shobon:

Randomizer is fine. They've put in a couple of fail-safes to reduce the amount of unbeatable seeds, though they can still happen.

Every patch affects seeds, so your originally unbeatable seed might be beatable now.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kheldarn posted:

Randomizer is fine. They've put in a couple of fail-safes to reduce the amount of unbeatable seeds, though they can still happen.

Every patch affects seeds, so your originally unbeatable seed might be beatable now.
I think they've stopped things like "the zanmato might be behind the thing you need it to open" and such. Seeds might sitll require checking literally every chest and breakable wall to find certain key items, but it should be theoretically beatable these days.

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."

Meowywitch posted:

Seems stable enough for people to be running rando tournaments for it as of a few weeks ago!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94GcYWAOmL4

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Zereth posted:

I think they've stopped things like "the zanmato might be behind the thing you need it to open" and such. Seeds might sitll require checking literally every chest and breakable wall to find certain key items, but it should be theoretically beatable these days.

Yeah, they added a failsafe chest for the Zangetsuto, but it doesn't always work. I've literally tested over 120 different seeds, and still run into seeds without aceess to it and/or Dimension Shift, which are the two things required to beat any seed that isn't a Defeat Gebel seed.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I asked this over in the Castlevania thread but forgot this one existed: Is it possible to get the two bad endings on a New Game + or do I need to start an entirely new game? The trophy isn't popping when killing Gebel (without doing the Zangetsu stuff) so it seems like it's either that or there's just a problem with the trophy. Has anyone gotten it that way?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Levantine posted:

I asked this over in the Castlevania thread but forgot this one existed: Is it possible to get the two bad endings on a New Game + or do I need to start an entirely new game? The trophy isn't popping when killing Gebel (without doing the Zangetsu stuff) so it seems like it's either that or there's just a problem with the trophy. Has anyone gotten it that way?

Sadly, I can't answer that one. I'm on Steam, and when I played the game, I got the Bad Ending by killing Gebel first. Even if I didn't do that in my NG+, I already had the Achievement for it, so it wouldn't have happened.

Maybe someone on the Bloodstained Reddit knows?

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
I forget don't you get the bad ending for just not killing the moon or is that a different one

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Saraiguma posted:

I forget don't you get the bad ending for just not killing the moon or is that a different one

I think there are two bad endings: one for just pasting Gebel with no prep and one for doing it, but with the sword and ignoring the moon. Apparently the first one wont trigger on NG+ for me and I haven't gone far enough to do the second one to test yet.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

there's one bad ending where you paste gebal, one where you paste him and you grinded too much so you get taken over instead. idk if having the sword and the moon being there has anything to do with it.

BrokenLink
Apr 27, 2013
I got the second bad end achievement in the randomizer mode, I was surprised it counted for it, but it did.
You just have to beat Gebel without the sword for the first bad end and fail to cut the moon with the sword on you for the second bad end.
It does mean if you've got the sword you can't get the first bad end, but I think new game plus removes the Zangetsutou from your inventory so that shouldn't stop you from getting it as long as you fight Gebel without it.

BrokenLink fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Oct 3, 2023

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

BrokenLink posted:

I got the second bad end achievement in the randomizer mode, I was surprised it counted for it, but it did.
You just have to beat Gebel without the sword for the first bad end and fail to cut the moon with the sword on you for the second bad end.
It does mean if you've got the sword you can't get the first bad end, but I think new game plus removes the Zangetsutou from your inventory so that shouldn't stop you from getting it as long as you fight Gebel without it.

I thought you actually had to damage him with zangetsuto?

BrokenLink
Apr 27, 2013
No just have it, it's easy enough to get by accident if you aren't being careful.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

https://playbloodstained.com/chaos-and-versus-mode-new-cosmetics/

Chaos/Versus Mode update coming May 9th, finally freeing the devs from Stretch Goal Hell. Will include a free Shantae DLC outfit. Three other paid DLC outfits will also be released alongside the update.
Dominique's Curse will be released sometime in the future. Will be paid DLC, like Classic Mode but bigger, storyline will be canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I think I've whipped back around into total admiration for them sticking to their stretch goals. Other indie games have straight up just said "gently caress it, we're gonna roll this content into the sequel" or just not delivered at all