Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
This game rules wow . I haven't really followed it at all so I didn't know it would have the soul system from the Sorrow castlevania DS games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

This game looks cool but I've spent too much on games recently

Yah I'm glad I got it but it was definitely more expensive than I thought it would be . The patient gamer will be rewarded with free playable shovel knight DLC

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Love to shorthop->attack->backdash->attack . The castlevania goomba stomp

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

lol just stumbled upon the fact that the first weapon you get has an unlisted quarter-circle command input that does a special move that lets you extend your jump horizontally and get you to places youre "not supposed to" get to without a movement upgrade... sick

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

OKay well the thread has reached the point where goferchan plays for 52 hours on release straight while spoiling everything

Lol I would trade 10 years off my life to have that NEET privilege back at this point . Im like 2 hours in I just stumbled across something cool

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I love all the little gimmick weapons with hidden properties , really give me symphony of the night feels . Like the ice-enchanted boots that give you a permanent slipping-on-ice effect or the shoes with blades in the toes that make your slide scale off attack damage instead of doing a flat 1dmg to enemies

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

extremebuff posted:

trying fg inputs with weapons and discovering special moves ftw. also i cant believe david hayter is in this just doing a snake voice lol

Speaking of, it took me a while but I figured out what filling up the mastery bar does for a special move -- lets you use the move with every single weapon in that category instead of just the few that "have" it. pretty sick

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

This game is really good!!! Not sure where it ranks with all the other RPG castlevania games but it's up there pulling its weight with them

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

That armor gives you the full moveset with the shovel pogo and everything its epic

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

elf help book posted:

the absolute worst example of this ive ever seen is that leisure suit larry remake let people add themselves to the bar at the beginning of the game and you can talk to them

Wet Dreams Don't Die

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Bob is now publicly dragging this game on social media which means it's probably really loving good.

👆

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I.N.R.I posted:

it locks u out of hard and very hard for your first playthrough though so im not expecting a challenge. that kind of pisses me off. but maybe theres a reason for that that isnt totally stupid

Like AMG said you can unlock them with passwords but I think Hard is balanced around NG+ and Nightmare is a "no-leveling-up" run which doesn't sound very fun to me, combat in this game is fine but not so good as to support such a mode

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Wormskull posted:

I couldn't get this to work with any weapons.

Short jump and swing before you hit the ground and landing cancels your attack animation and let's you swing again. Then immediately backdash when you connect and cancel out or the backdash with a third attack. The timing differs but it works for every weapon

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Wormskull posted:

Look at the right foot in the menu screen.

I tip my hat to you sir.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

In Training posted:

drat, it looks and feels awful on Switch. This is disappointing

That's a bummer hope they fix it . I heard PS4 has issues too but not that bad

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

In Training posted:

this game is great and I've barely started.

It's really good , but what's really insane to me is that there's like no competition . There's a lot of indie metroidvanias but nobody's really done the symphony of the night/dawn of sorrow thing since those games came out . This is the first game to hit that spot in like a decade which makes it pretty easy for me to forgive any flaws

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

elf help book posted:

yeah thats whats hitting me, i just wanna tool around and cut into every crevice of the map, most indie metroidvanias would be better off becoming linear games cuz the map just feels like a waste of time

Yeah I guess it also depends on your definition of metroidvania because it's gotten pretty loose . There are lots of nonlinear platformers with some RPG elements (like La Mulana which I think is a masterpiece) but nobody's really just straight ripped off the castlevania games until now so this scratches an itch nothing else has