Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

eating only apples posted:

Will probably use Dorothea next time because I honestly don't love her as a character

I’ll fight you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

DC Murderverse posted:

I’ll fight you

I'm sorry I don't want to fight. Everyone loves her but me. She's a really nice person but I find almost everyone else more compelling. Including her shared voice actor character Shamir :shobon:

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
It's kinda weird.

While there are a lot of characters who learn Physic if you take them into Faith, out of all the characters who are naturally on the path to learn Faith (And I mean like, Linhardt, Marianne, Manuela, Flayn, etc), only the three Primary Healers of the three houses (that being Linhardt, Marianne, and Mercedes) learn Physic.

Flayn, Manuela, Yuri, Balthus, even Byleth if we count them, none of them are among the crowd that learns Physic.

You know who does? Dorothea, Bernadetta, Ashe, Sylvain, Ingrid, Ignatz, Leonie, Shamir, and Hapi.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

I'm sorry I don't want to fight. Everyone loves her but me. She's a really nice person but I find almost everyone else more compelling. Including her shared voice actor character Shamir :shobon:

I'm mid on Dorothea overall, but she does have the most heartbreaking line in the entire game. If you recruit her and end up killing Ferdinand then talk with her after the battle.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P83MiJMmjtk

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

AlternateNu posted:

I'm mid on Dorothea overall, but she does have the most heartbreaking line in the entire game. If you recruit her and end up killing Ferdinand then talk with her after the battle.

It is rough but I think the Annette and Mercedes line when they fight is also pretty rough. Hell having anyone with unique dialogue fighting Mercedes is in for a rough time.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Hunt11 posted:

It is rough but I think the Annette and Mercedes line when they fight is also pretty rough. Hell having anyone with unique dialogue fighting Mercedes is in for a rough time.

That would just be what, Annette and Emile?

BlazetheInferno posted:

It's kinda weird.

While there are a lot of characters who learn Physic if you take them into Faith, out of all the characters who are naturally on the path to learn Faith (And I mean like, Linhardt, Marianne, Manuela, Flayn, etc), only the three Primary Healers of the three houses (that being Linhardt, Marianne, and Mercedes) learn Physic.

Flayn, Manuela, Yuri, Balthus, even Byleth if we count them, none of them are among the crowd that learns Physic.

You know who does? Dorothea, Bernadetta, Ashe, Sylvain, Ingrid, Ignatz, Leonie, Shamir, and Hapi.

Gonna take a moment to appreciate that the Ashen Wolves have the guys as primary healers rather than the girls (even if Hapi ends up as the better healer because Physic).

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

LET 👏 EDELGARD 👏 SWEAR

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ApplesandOranges posted:

That would just be what, Annette and Emile?

Also Constance.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Fajita Queen posted:

LET 👏 EDELGARD 👏 SWEAR

She would only do it a couple times but each time it'd be on the tier of the fucks in The Thing.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Just in case anyone was looking at the eshop sale running rn and didn’t know, Edelgard's VA is in Persona 3

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Yeah but fem mc isn't so literally trash game.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

indigi posted:

Just in case anyone was looking at the eshop sale running rn and didn’t know, Edelgard's VA is in Persona 3

Not in the upcoming remake, though. But Dorothea/Shamir's VA is in it instead.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

drat, lucky I didn’t feel like waiting

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Thinking “huh let’s try a magic mc this time” has been a terrible mistake for playing maddening for the first time.

My other mistake has been gearing Anette and Mercedes toward becoming dark fliers thinking “I’m sick of playing around pass” and forgetting this means they get garbage battalions and no adjutants.

Janissary Hop fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jul 10, 2023

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Magic Byleth can be ok, but they're usually better off going for physical classes.

Dark Flier is a great class, but the lack of flying battalions that go well with it means it usually doesn't feel worth it to have more than one, MAYBE two. There are plenty of other good options for female mages though.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Janissary Hop posted:

Thinking “huh let’s try a magic mc this time” has been a terrible mistake for playing maddening for the first time.

My other mistake has been gearing Anette and Mercedes toward becoming dark fliers thinking “I’m sick of playing around pass” and forgetting this means they get garbage battalions and no adjutants.

Annette did loving great for me in Dark Flier on Maddening, to the point it's now my favorite class for her.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

I’m sticking to the dark flier duo for now, it’s actually been pretty good so far despite giving up on the insane mage battalions. On the other hand I just made Lysithea into a bishop and she got 18 points worth of stats for it, 8 into defense alone. Seems legit.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Janissary Hop posted:

I’m sticking to the dark flier duo for now, it’s actually been pretty good so far despite giving up on the insane mage battalions. On the other hand I just made Lysithea into a bishop and she got 18 points worth of stats for it, 8 into defense alone. Seems legit.

If you can get Anna and Candace's battalion you'll be able to get them both decent ones at least! Wishing you luck with the mage air force.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Well I'm glad I kept the flying mage squad because I have no idea how you do Blue Lion Chapter 13 maddening with Mercedes and Annette on foot. Actually I have some idea because I looked up a video of it and it apparently involves stride / impregnable wall abuse with a flying Byleth. Happy I have the pay to win dlc that let me just fly Mercedes and Annette over to the rest of the units and then use canto to blow up enemies while staying out of trouble. It was still a hard map but much more doable that way.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I'm back on this again. Can someone please tell me what I was planning with Ferdinand. This is my fifth run so I'm not taking it seriously but I clearly had plans and haven't played in months. He's mastered Brigand, is level 20, has clearly been working on sword, riding and faith. Was I going for trickster? I thought so but then discovered that Petra is close to that, already has Thief and everything. Everyone else I can figure out (Valkyrie Lysithea is a monster).

e: he already has lance C! Was it Holy Knight? why the hell does he have sword goals then?

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 19, 2023

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
do you have a dancer

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

do you have a dancer

Flayn. I did dancing Ferdie on my Beagles run and he was incredible, untouchable, far too good.

e: no, must have been on Lions. No dancer first time, Petra on beagles, Ferdie on lions, Marianne on SS (I killed Ferdinand this time and hated it). Flayn for run 5 because I just want to use her for once.

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Dec 19, 2023

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I've been through this process several times and my advice is to just give up on trying to figure out what you were trying to do and instead just look at what he has and come up with a new cool idea lol

With any luck it'll even be the same one and you'll be none the wiser!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

I'm back on this again. Can someone please tell me what I was planning with Ferdinand. This is my fifth run so I'm not taking it seriously but I clearly had plans and haven't played in months. He's mastered Brigand, is level 20, has clearly been working on sword, riding and faith. Was I going for trickster? I thought so but then discovered that Petra is close to that, already has Thief and everything. Everyone else I can figure out (Valkyrie Lysithea is a monster).

e: he already has lance C! Was it Holy Knight? why the hell does he have sword goals then?

You got Brigand for Death Blow.

You got Sword so that you could do Trickster and then move into Holy Knight later.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I resumed my late game blue lions run yesterday and have no idea what the gently caress I was thinking for anybody, except I left the save after taking/failing 30% chance certifications on several people as a note to myself

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Natural 20 posted:

You got Brigand for Death Blow.

You got Sword so that you could do Trickster and then move into Holy Knight later.

Yeah, most people get Death Blow.

I think I probably was going for Trickster but found it would be quicker to get Petra to do it.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Playing this for the first time and I'm always not really sure what I'm doing when building my units. I'm around level 13 and so far I've mostly just put points into weapons and everyone has followed the most obvious path

I don't want to just follow some build guides, but are there any general tips on what to do/what NOT to do that might not be immediately obvious?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
If you’re not on Maddening you can just go with the stuff students occasionally suggest themselves, at least one of those are their “canon” class you see them as post timeskip as NPCs on the other routes.

It’s probably worth noting if you’re on Black Eagles and are using Hubert that Dark Knight is the only male class that actually makes dark magic better, which needs a riding/lance proficiency. Theres probably a bunch more I can’t think of, but it’s been years and years.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Dark Knight is also important for Hubert because otherwise he's lagging behind on movement compared to the rest of your team, and he doesn't have the range of Dorothea. He does also get Frozen Lance for Dark Knight.

Linhardt also suffers from this to a degree but at least he can still sling Physic.

I recruit Ferdinand every run but I don't think I've ever had an amazing Ferdie, he's mostly just been 'oh yeah, you're on a horse, great'.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Paperhouse posted:

Playing this for the first time and I'm always not really sure what I'm doing when building my units. I'm around level 13 and so far I've mostly just put points into weapons and everyone has followed the most obvious path

I don't want to just follow some build guides, but are there any general tips on what to do/what NOT to do that might not be immediately obvious?

What you're doing now is a good start, but here's a few tips:

* Look at which of the advanced/master tier classes use a character's weapon of choice and pay attention to the other skill requirements they have. A lot of them will require a character to be trained in riding or flying or even another weapon type.
* Even though some later classes require you to be trained in multiple weapon types, they usually only have a -faire skill (gives you +5 damage when you use a specific weapon type) for one so that's the one you should be using in that class.
* All magic users want both Reason and Faith, at least to D rank in the latter to pick up a heal spell. As long as a class can cast magic they can use both types so there's no reason not to.
* Every character wants to be trained in Authority. Even the ones who are bad at it. Even the ones who have personal skills that might suggest otherwise.
* Most classes aren't worth mastering, it's generally better to move on to a higher tier class asap. The big exceptions are any one beginner tier class (Myrmidon, Soldier, Fighter, or Monk), Brigand for physical characters, Mage for magical characters, and Pegasus Knights for women. Don't feel like you have to veer a character completely out of their way into the latter three, but if you don't think it would be too much trouble then they are extremely worth it.

Scrap Dragon fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Feb 3, 2024

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

ApplesandOranges posted:

I recruit Ferdinand every run but I don't think I've ever had an amazing Ferdie, he's mostly just been 'oh yeah, you're on a horse, great'.

Dancer Ferdinand is one of the best dodge tanks in the game with his personal skill + Sword Avoid. But it's not super in line with his character so it's not recommended for a first run anyways.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
If an advanced class doesn't have an obvious promotion in master tier, it's fine as an endpoint for your character. They are about equivalent power levels, but master classes are more specialized. Not every bishop needs to become a holy knight, for instance. Or maybe a better example is Assassin, no need to force your sword characters into Mortal Savant unless you really want to have one. (Not getting into class v class power comparisons, on submaddening you should run whatever classes you like best without worry.)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

mycatscrimes posted:

If an advanced class doesn't have an obvious promotion in master tier, it's fine as an endpoint for your character. They are about equivalent power levels, but master classes are more specialized. Not every bishop needs to become a holy knight, for instance. Or maybe a better example is Assassin, no need to force your sword characters into Mortal Savant unless you really want to have one. (Not getting into class v class power comparisons, on submaddening you should run whatever classes you like best without worry.)

Eh Bishop kind of does want the master tier because goddamn is 4 move brutal.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The class design is definitely an oddity. Half the Advanced classes are incremental steps to obvious upgrades in Master tier, and half of them are endgame-worthy capstones that can promote into hybrid sidegrades.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Zore posted:

Eh Bishop kind of does want the master tier because goddamn is 4 move brutal.

I personally prefer the bonus to healing over extra move, and patching them with the +move ring if absolutely necessary. My bishops are usually using physic and fortify if I run one anyway.

TBH I don't run holy knight or bishop at all usually (unless it's Lindhardt and I don't have him in dark knight), I just have all my offensive mages also packing heal spells and some mixed supporters that can heal too. But if I'm going to run a dedicated healer it's gonna be a bishop.

mycatscrimes fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 3, 2024

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
If I could change one thing about Three Houses it would be a complete revamp of the class trees/progression. Sorry, monastery/White Clouds haters.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

If I could change one thing it would be to quadruple the story DLCs

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

I mean, there's a lot of ways for slow units to get around low movement in this game. Warp, Rescue, Stride battalion, dancing, Fetters of Dromi if you have DLC, march ring, range-increasing staves and abilities for mages, and positional combat arts like Draw Back, Reposition and Shove. I'm not suggesting that having high movement isn't important, but slower classes can keep up well enough if you don't have too many of them in your party. I generally prefer for Hubert to stay in Dark Bishop and just focus on high authority and magic, rather than waste lectures giving him a horse he's only going to use late in the second half of a relatively short campaign.

Bluff Buster fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Also horses are a pain to use in the final map on his route.