Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I just took the cert for my first war monk and I'm going to enjoy keeping the animations for as long as it takes to get brawl avo!

Maddening question: For those of you who use Petra as a dodgy WL, do you build for axes or swords? Axes seem easier to get ranks for but I'm guessing there will be a ton of annoying axebreaker assassins / swordmasters if late AM is anything to go by (I'm in VW) and sword nets more avo. I'll have at least two sword users in Byleth (also waffing on FK for boosted sword xp vs WL for more str) and my dancer if coverage matters. Also if Petra mains axes then I'll have at least two units per weapon type in active rotation and I love symmetry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
OK, I'm going to play it now.

The Sundary before last I played the mock battle. Considering this Hard, Permadeaths on, and no savescumming this could prove to be a spiral to destruction.

edit:

I forgot that there are large periods of peaceful exploration between the violent battles. I just played it for a little bit. Maybe when I have more of a flow.

Prurient Squid fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Nov 18, 2022

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Sleng Teng posted:

I just took the cert for my first war monk and I'm going to enjoy keeping the animations for as long as it takes to get brawl avo!

Maddening question: For those of you who use Petra as a dodgy WL, do you build for axes or swords? Axes seem easier to get ranks for but I'm guessing there will be a ton of annoying axebreaker assassins / swordmasters if late AM is anything to go by (I'm in VW) and sword nets more avo. I'll have at least two sword users in Byleth (also waffing on FK for boosted sword xp vs WL for more str) and my dancer if coverage matters. Also if Petra mains axes then I'll have at least two units per weapon type in active rotation and I love symmetry.

Axes for sure because of Axefaire on WL,.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Natural 20 posted:

Axes for sure because of Axefaire on WL,.

Yeah I decided so too, but I was more concerned about avo (e.g will axe prowess 5 + all the other tricks be good enough) than damage since I'm relying on her to dodge a lot. Since maddening isn't proving to be that hard I thought I don't really need the extra avo with swords, and as you mention with axes I get the faire while still stacking all the dodge tank abilities I want. Besides with enough axe/flying I've started training sword anyway and can swap if needed for scenarios loaded with axebreaker jerks or whatever

e: I say Maddening isn't really that bad, and I don't think it is, but man ch 13 is a pain in the rear end! I was in a good position for it with my team and all but still! And I've been told VW is the easiest one!

Sleng Teng fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 18, 2022

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
OK, Time to play Fire Emblem: Three Houses again. Oh look, another month passed. Oh well, let's see how we go this time.

edit:

I'm actually enjoying it. I'm enjoying the pleasant part at the beginning, fishing and eating nice meals with people. I'm not in a hurry to get people killed even though that's more than likely with this being classic hard. I'm probably going to start playing this more often.

edit:

I enjoy the Byleth/Dedue emtionless silence bonding moments.

Prurient Squid fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Dec 14, 2022

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I'm thinking of picking this up again. I've never finished it, getting as far as a bit after the timeskip on a Silver Snow run but it's been years since I've stopped playing so I can't remember anything about my team so I figured I should just start over. From what I remember, SS isn't the best route to do first. Was there a better order of houses to aim for than starting with SS?

Notty
Jun 4, 2010
There isn’t really a set order. Each route does different* things.

Silver Snow and Verdant Wind aren’t exactly the same, but aside from the final boss you fight, they’re close enough that it’s not really worth it to do both unless you just really wanna S-Rank Rhea.

Azure Moon has a similar focus as SS/VW, but is definitely distinguishable from it.

Crimson Flower is by far the most unique route for obvious reasons, but you can also tell it’s where they ran out of time/money lmao.

CF is the shortest route, so if you’re in for the long haul I would suggest starting with it.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
CF is the best so start with one of the others imo

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I don’t think the order matters that much if you know you want to play all of them. Personally I just rolled a die to choose the first house and then flipped a coin for the second.

Notty
Jun 4, 2010

indigi posted:

CF is the best so start with one of the others imo

I agree that CF is the best and probably most important route to play, but I know from experience that fatigue will definitely start to set in midway through that second playthrough.

If you’re only gonna play 1, it should be CF so I generally always advise to start with it.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Tbh I think Lions are the best first playthrough because the first half is so focused on them for some bizarre reason and then their second half has very little lore so it’s kinda fun to then jump into the routes that actually answer questions.

But also that’s how I did it so.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
CF First because you can then go back and do Silver Snow if you still feel the itch straight away and they're two distinct routes that allow you to skip White Clouds.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
Golden Deer first, since it's the least involved in the central character plots that the rest of the routes revolve around.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Golden Deer is the most well-rounded experience, Blue Lions is the most self-contained, and Black Eagles will show you the most distinctive parts of the story. Choose based on which house leader you most want to be your friend.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Bongo Bill posted:

Choose based on which house leader you most want to be your friend.

It's this

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
You could also decide between a goth, a war crime victim or Hilda

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

who in this game isnt a war crime victim frankly

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Leonie loves war

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Tired Moritz posted:

You could also decide between a goth, a war crime victim or Hilda
i still find it funny that hilda can be recruited into other houses, just not edelgard's. the team is not big enough for two gay women with giant axes, sadly

(my hot take is that Lorenz is a better fit for the sub-commander role, and they should've made him locked to golden deer. Mostly because thyrsus is a little bit too powerful for the game to let you have it in every single route.)

Tired Moritz posted:

Leonie loves war
:yeah:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Blaziken386 posted:

i still find it funny that hilda can be recruited into other houses, just not edelgard's. the team is not big enough for two gay women with giant axes, sadly

(my hot take is that Lorenz is a better fit for the sub-commander role, and they should've made him locked to golden deer. Mostly because thyrsus is a little bit too powerful for the game to let you have it in every single route.)

:yeah:

Clearly El and Hilda had a messy break up. Also like Lorenz not being loyal is a big enough plot point to make it into Hopes as a major thing.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
If you’re only gonna do White Clouds once, definitely do it as the Eagles. I'd suggest doing Silver Snow first but allowing yourself to ditch it and do the Good route if you ever start to get fed up.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Hilda and Edelgard being messy exes is basically canon, to me.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Eimi posted:

Clearly El and Hilda had a messy break up. Also like Lorenz not being loyal is a big enough plot point to make it into Hopes as a major thing.

I'm enjoying the idea that back above ground Hubert and Dedue have reluctantly teamed up to figure out what happened to their BFFs while Lorenz is trying to run the Deer and failing miserably.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I'm enjoying the idea that back above ground Hubert and Dedue have reluctantly teamed up to figure out what happened to their BFFs while Lorenz is trying to run the Deer and failing miserably.

This honestly sounds like a infinitely more entertaining plot than the story of the guy your mom liked “as a friend”.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Lorenz might have been intended as the retainer at some point because his data is slotted in the same relative position as Hubert/Dedue but if it is true it was long ago.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Lmao

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Anyway Hilda is a better #2 than Lorenz would be, because she is Hilda.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

McTimmy posted:

Lorenz might have been intended as the retainer at some point because his data is slotted in the same relative position as Hubert/Dedue but if it is true it was long ago.
IIRC, one of the earliest screenshots had Ashe as part of the Golden Deer, so that is entirely plausible.

That said,

mycatscrimes posted:

Anyway Hilda is a better #2 than Lorenz would be, because she is Hilda.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Blaziken386 posted:

Alternately, keep Thyrsus available in every route but just tie it to Lysithea instead because we all know it's really her relic.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

The best part of the retainers is that they’re ride or die for their lords, Lorenz could never do that because he’s too concerned with himself and his territory. Hilda is not ride or die for Claude in the same way as the other two (mostly because that would require work) but if Claude needs an unvarnished opinion or truth from someone willing to tell him it’s gotta be Hilda. Hubert/Edelgard and Dimitri/Dedue have very traditional royal/subject relationships and Hilda/Claude are besties

Edit: or to put it in a much funnier metaphor, if Edie/Hubie are Game of Thrones and Dimi/Dedue are modern Arthurian stories then Claude/Hilda are like, Gossip Girl

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Hubert is the advisor, Dedue is the loyal knight, and Hilda is the court jester

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Also Lorenz's role is to be the naysayer to his Lord. All Houses have one, his counterparts are Ferdinand and Felix. He can't take the same role as Hubert and Dedue, because he has the opposite role, which is just as important and infinitely more fun.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Does Ferdinand get a special dialogue scene fighting Edelgard if you recruit him in Blue Lions?

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

Does Ferdinand get a special dialogue scene fighting Edelgard if you recruit him in Blue Lions?

Nope. I believe the only unique vs dialogue Ferdinand has when recruited is his lines v Hubert, where Ferdinand goes all "it doesn't matter what I think, I'm Just Following Orders".

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

DC Murderverse posted:

The best part of the retainers is that they’re ride or die for their lords, Lorenz could never do that because he’s too concerned with himself and his territory. Hilda is not ride or die for Claude in the same way as the other two (mostly because that would require work) but if Claude needs an unvarnished opinion or truth from someone willing to tell him it’s gotta be Hilda. Hubert/Edelgard and Dimitri/Dedue have very traditional royal/subject relationships and Hilda/Claude are besties

Edit: or to put it in a much funnier metaphor, if Edie/Hubie are Game of Thrones and Dimi/Dedue are modern Arthurian stories then Claude/Hilda are like, Gossip Girl

Hilda is absolutely ride or die, she just walks the walk instead of talking the talk. In Derdriu on CF she's the last line of defense for Claude and if she falls he says "Why didn't you retreat?! I counted on you retreating..."

Also RE Lorenz:

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
what was lysithea's original hair color

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

General Morden posted:

take your pick

https://twitter.com/krazieka2/status/1578011939808358400?s=46&t=wE_adUGCt01cnPmM1Oy9uA

edit: but actually I think this is right:

https://twitter.com/waitingforgames/status/1296814306496000001?s=46&t=wE_adUGCt01cnPmM1Oy9uA

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Dec 26, 2022

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

General Morden posted:

Probably red, since her last name is Cordelia.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I too subscribe to 'everyone in the Golden Deer but Claude wears their hair color like a sentai team so Lysithia's hair was purple' theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009