Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
Both of the characters I want to gay marry are in Black Eagles so that's my decision made for me I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

I love this game but it has so many stupid little UI issues. Would it be that hard for the game to keep track of who I assign adjutants to instead of reassigning them to the first characters on my roster and making me fix that every single battle? Or to let me use stat boosters from the convoy instead of loving around with my characters' inventories to make room for them?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Andrast posted:

you can't waste dancer

Besides, a solid caster is a fine recipient for dancer

Yeah, who you give Dancer to doesn't matter terribly much, because giving someone an extra turn is usually at least as good as whatever else they could be doing. My Dorothea was developing solidly as a mage before changing to Dancer, but afterwards I found she pretty much never ended up doing anything but dancing, aside from occasionally using a gambit on a big enemy or Physic on someone who needed healing.

The "best" candidate for Dancer from an optimization perspective is probably whoever on your team has ended up with good defensive stats and lousy offensive ones, but it's fine on anyone.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Eimi posted:

El's route is very rushed sadly. It is shorter, rougher, and you can see the budget running out. On the other hand it's my favorite route in the game and El is my favorite character. Embrace your inner Daenerys and break the wheel.

Yeah, it's pretty obvious where and how they could have added a few extra chapters to her route to bring it up to the same length as the others, but it didn't end up happening. Even on her route it's a big game overall, though; I'd put in about 70 hours by the time I hit the end.

Coxswain Balls posted:

I didn't realize that after finishing the game that people would actually get paired together in the epilogue. I did the BE route and while I was happy with most of the pairings, Lysithea's was super sad with her family just fading into obscurity. I wanted her to end up with Linhardt and Caspar would end up with Petra, but for some reason Petra and Linhardt hooked up and Caspar and Lysithea stayed single.

I was working so hard to make Raphael and Bernie a thing, but she ended up marrying Hubert which is hilarious enough to work so I'm down with it.

They really put a ton of effort into the paired endings in this game. Not only does each pairing get its own custom-made ending, sometimes the same pairing will get wildly different endings on different routes. It's such a huge improvement over Awakening and especially Fates' mad libs endings.

The game seems to track support points even after you've reached A rank and give priority to the pairings that have the highest points, so keep that in mind for any future playthroughs when aiming for specific endings. I just circumvented the whole thing by never playing the A support conversations for any pairing that I didn't want to end up together.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Aug 28, 2019

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Sax Solo posted:

I got a BAD instruction outcome one time, and now it feels like a dream, I almost don't believe it happened.

I got one exactly once in an entire playthrough. And there's a 50/50 chance that you'll get back the motivation you spent on it anyway (or 100% if you look up the correct answer), so it's even more pointless.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

The Gunslinger posted:

Anyways I still had fun overall but I'm looking forward to Golden Deer or Lions next. Not sure which one would be a better palate cleanser, thinking probably Golden Deer.

It might be good to do Golden Deer first; it covers a lot of the same ground plotwise as the other version of the Black Eagles route, so it's probably better to avoid doing them back to back.

loquacius posted:

Quick question -- I'm around the point in the game where I'm trying to get everyone advanced class certifications, and I just hit the part where Byleth gets a unique class (Enlightened One). Is Enlightened One on par with advanced classes w/r/t stat growth or should I keep cramming Axes to get that Hero cert?

e: more on topic, Lysithea owns but I think my best mage is currently Flayn lol

I kept her in Enlightened One for the rest of the game and she did just fine, but I also fed her about a million stat boosters so that doesn't really say much

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Hunt11 posted:

That isn't true if you are on the Edelgard path as he just sticks with the empire

Ferdinand's initially pretty unenthusiastic about Edelgard's whole vision for rebuilding society, but he comes up with pretty good ideas on how to make it happen once he gets talked around to it. There's a point on her route where Ferdinand can have a conversation with her that basically goes "okay, if you're really set on this whole 'abolishing the nobility' thing, there are still a bunch of important things the nobility does right now that nobody else really gets taught how to do, so how about we invent the concept of universal education"

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

The very last level in the black eagles route has a pretty rough difficulty spike. anyone have any tips, particularly for dealing with the drat golems that get buffed to hell within just a few turns?

Go around the sides of the map; you can ignore most of the enemies in the centre completely, since you'll have a couple of turns between getting in range of the boss and them being able to reach you, and if that's not enough to win the fight you'll have bigger problems than them. The golems in your way should be treated as high-priority targets; get into range of them as quickly as you safely can and bring as many wide AoE Gambits as possible, enough to inflict armour breaks on all the golems and the big boss. In particular, dig through your battalion list for AoE physical Gambits to use on the magic-immune golems and save magic-based Gambits for the boss if possible. When facing a dangerous enemy like one of the named characters, sometimes you'll want to rush them without letting them get a turn, while other times you'll want someone who can survive a hit to lure them out, depending on your party composition and the enemy's abilities. Don't let any of your squishy characters get too far away from allies who can surround and protect them, since there are a couple of waves of flying reinforcements to deal with.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Is it just me or is endgame monastery stuff a bit... too much

I have 10 abilities to use and I can spam lunches but most supports are almost maxed now and I don’t need new jobs for anyone.

I am considering just doing seminars for the rest of the game

Yeah, the sense of pressure definitely eases up a lot after the timeskip. Between that and a bunch of characters leaving, the monastery kinda felt a bit lonely and empty compared to Part 1. I still mostly spent my points on lunches to max out motivation so I could keep training people, but that was on Edelgard's route; if I'd had a few more chapters to work with like the other routes do, I could see myself running out of things I cared about spending time on.

Equeen posted:

Flayn's a great healer, but is there anything else I could do with her besides making her a Bishop? I'm playing thru the Black Eagles route, fwiw.

She's a viable option for Dancer once that class becomes available, but there's one caveat: there's a choice you can make just before the timeskip in that route, and if you choose to side with Edelgard then Flayn will permanently leave your party, so if you plan to do that it might be best not to invest too much in her.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Aug 30, 2019

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Blaziken386 posted:

you can obtain every student save for the house leaders, dedue, and hubert.

Hilda on Black Eagles route is also a special case; depending on what decisions you make during the route, there's either an extremely narrow window of time when you can recruit her or no chance to do so at all. Other than that and the ones you mentioned, though, I think you can get everyone.

edit: oh you edited that in while i was posting. I'll make this post useful by adding a recruitment tip: if you feed people gifts and meals until you get them to B support, there's a chance they'll join you even if you don't meet the normal stat requirements to recruit them. Not everyone can B support with Byleth before the timeskip, though.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Aug 31, 2019

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

rannum posted:

Magic also felt really lackluster in Fates. Like not useless just really hohum across the board. Not great power or accuracy and I think they had some weird penalties? Bows & especially Daggers just seemed more consistent and stronger

The main problem with magic in Fates is that there were only a few first-gen mage units and they all had problems. Hayato and Odin both had mediocre Mag growths, while Nyx is made of crepe paper (and in Revelation the latter two both join prohibitively late with unusably low stats). The second gen has several strong mages, though: Forrest, Ophilia, and Rhajat all have the potential to be excellent.

In Three Houses, you have all your characters available from early on and there are at least two usable mages per house, but each one is limited to their personal spell list and most mage classes are stuck with that 4 move rate until the lategame (although there are ways to ameliorate it). So the mage situation is better in some ways but also a bit complicated.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I kept seeing people complain about Bernie not being strong but my Bernie keeps killing armored knights with a single arrow and crits like every attack and it rules

Her stat growths are mediocre to bad in everything except Dex and Spd, but she has an absolutely perfect set of strengths to end up as a Bow Knight, which can coast along very well on those two stats alone. Her unique ability helps shore up her lowish Str, too, since +5 damage is a huge bonus and not being at full HP is an easy condition to meet. If she just absolutely refuses to gain Str ever then she'll have problems, but if she hits her averages she'll be a lot stronger than her stats would suggest.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

lunar detritus posted:

If someone wanted to switch from Enlightened One to Mortal Savant, it'd be mostly because of that black tomefaire, right?

Pretty much. You wouldn't do it for stats, at least; Mortal Savant has equal or worse stat bonuses and growths across the board except for Luck.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Eimi posted:

Speaking of Ingrid that formula basically means it's best to recruit her as late as possible for maximum stat gains?

Unless you really wanted to make her into something way outside of her normal class/skill progression for some reason, yeah.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Sep 9, 2019

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

There's no rule that it has to be in classic mode to get the title screen bonus, right? Lunatic/Casual was actually a pretty fun combo for Awakening and Fates, even if it's pretty far away from the baseline Fire Emblem experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Onmi posted:

I definitely mucked up in saying all combat arts avoid counters. It was my bad.

But yes there are a bunch of tools that Hard never really asked you to use. Maddening is asking you to look at your toolbox and use it all.

There are a couple of Crests that give a chance to negate counterattacks when using a combat art, so that might have been what you were thinking of. It's random, though, so it's not something you can rely on.