Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
I got Three Houses for Christmas and I've fought the first battle of the War Phase where I had to stop a woman called Judith from escaping.

Anyway in a comment in a different thread I said that Edelgard's mickey mouse shorts were a bold fashion choice but I realise playing a bit further that she's polarising for other reasons. In universe she's a very marmite sort of figure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Archbishops hate her! Learn this one weird trick to something something...

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

My initial thoughts about this game.

Harry Potter and The Game of Thrones.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Cloacamazing! posted:

Just wait until you play Black Eagles. Hubert x Everybody Else C Support: I will murder you if you dare cross Lady Edelgard!
Hubert x Ferdinand up to A support: I will murder you especially painful.

OK, I'm convinced that Hubert's "I'll kill you " shtick is a kind of flattery. Like, "I'll kill you but I'll have to be very clever about it because you're so smart and capable". That and he's jealous of anyone who get's Edelgard's attention.

e: Hubert is Reinhard von Littlegirl's Oberstein.

Prurient Squid fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jan 19, 2021

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Edelgard is basically the Fire Emblem equivalent of Jeremy Beadle.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Is it bad that when I found the chloroform-soaked-handkerchief the first person I checked with was Sylvain?

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

People always give flak to Lindhart for not using his talents, usually just after he's used his talents to help them do something better.

What always amused in support events was how little respect Edelgard gets from her future subjects. It made me laugh out loud when Casper confronts her saying "You know what you're problem is Edelgard, you have to make everything about yourself".

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I recruited Sylvain over to the Eagles early on and got him killed at the battle of Gareg Mach so I've kind of forgotten about him and probably didn't develop him.

Hubert is tsundere dracula who can only show affection through death threats. Also I like how after the predicted Empire conquest of the entire continent a new cloak and dagger conflict will begin which will be his time to really shine.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I was going to compare Edelgard to Skeletor because they're both surrounded by bumbling fools but the comparison doesn't really work at all. Also Edelgard's plots tend to have a much higher success rate.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Fire Emblem tries to have it all. It's a gamplay-driven, character-driven, story-driven game that avoids the usual trade-offs.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Edelgard may be madder than a barrel of monkeys but I'd follow her into the depths of hell.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Mainly so that I can see the banter she'd exchange with satan.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I just made this.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I'm in the process of immanentising the Edelgoose.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I just got Edelgard and Hubert up to what I assume is a pretty high support level. He's a very "subete wa all is for my lord" type energy but he explains that he doesn't actually care about duty or the feudal system an is just motivated by pure Edelgard simping. Also he thinks nothing of just ignoring everything Edelgard says because obviously he knows what's best for her and if she doesn't like it he can just have him executed. Edelgard don't get no respect.

e: Another point. I compared Hubert to Oberstein in Legend of The Galactic Heros but actually he more reminds me of the version of Oberstein in the Takarazuka Revue's rendition of Legend of the Galactic Heros where Oberstering is played as having a totally different personality and is more like Loki.

Prurient Squid fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 23, 2021

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

OK, Edelgoose is complete.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Hmmm... I put a lot of effort into grinding Caspar's brawl skill so that he could be a Warmaster and now that I've done it I've lost the unarmed combat ability. I think it might be possible to requip it but it makes me wonder. My strategy with Caspar was to strip him down to try to make him too fast to hit and have a high accuracy but I'm not sure that the same strategy applies with warmaster so I'm not sure if switching to unarmed would be an advantage (i.e. he's carrying an axe with him rather than gauntlets so he might as well have gauntlets).

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

If punching giant birds to death bare handed is wrong I don't want to be right.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tired Moritz posted:

I feel like the weapon changes are fun but people are underutilizing it. For example, I haven't seen a video of Edelgard fist fighting Dimitri

This is a very sore spot for me. My understanding is that female characters can't be grapplers. I think I already tried making Edelgard one. It might be because of last minute changes but I don't know. It's very sad.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I just tried out Danganronpa on PC after rebuying the trilogy in a sale. Kirigiri really reminds me of Edelgard for some reason.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Sending Caspar bare handed to take out a knight on a horse is pretty funny, confirmed.

e: never bring a horse to a fist fight.

Prurient Squid fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 24, 2021

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

In Britain there's a bank called Alliance and Leicester so that's literally all I think about when I hear Leicester Alliance. Maybe Claude was just a guy who worked at a bank this whole time?

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

OK, you can definitely equip iron gauntlets on Emperor Edelgard and have a her wade into a battlefield in full armour and punch a dragon in the face and I've gotta say it feels pretty good.

Also petition to rename the game "The Adventures of Edelgard and the Good Boys Who Help Her".

e: and I'm really appreciating Bernie's crest of Indech randomly activating and giving me extra shots.

Prurient Squid fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 24, 2021

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Vulcan Raven: In the natural world there is no such thing as boundless slaughter, but you [points at Bernie]... you are from a world I do not wish to know.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I'm at Arianrhod on a first time, CF run and this is the point where I have no idea what the hap is fuckening. Cornelia went down like a sack of spuds even though I have zero idea who she was. I don't want this to be explained I'm sure it will eventually make sense over multiple runs and that's part of the fun.

e: a battle on the Taitlean plains? That's not ominous at all!

Prurient Squid fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jan 25, 2021

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I honestly just imagine Rhea spending all her free time writing Dante's Inferno style biblical fanfiction all about Edelgard burning in Hell

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Fire Emblem is about family, that's what makes it so powerful.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Hellioning posted:

Three Houses hard should probably called 'normal' or something because it's really not hard.

I'm still upset there's not a difficulty setting between hard and maddening, because hard is too easy and maddening is ridiculous.

This is my first Fire Emblem game and I'm playing Normal Classic (i.e with permadeaths). My first, very short, run was a death spiral. Later, I ran into a stonewall with Ingrid one-hitting Edelgard in the Battle of the Lion and the Eagle. Each time I had to stop and study how to play the game and how to use basic features like Battle Forecasts to my advantage. Also things like what the point of having skills is.

But now I feel more confident I have to admit that when I took the impregnable fortress of Arianrhod it felt surprisingly easy.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I only just recently realised how useful Lindhardt's Physic ability due to it's enormous range.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I really like how when Jeritza levels up he rasps "Mada". Especially since I know what it means. "I just got a bit stronger and I'm jolly pleased with that but I still have a little bit to go before I'm quite as strong as I'd like to be".

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

All I know is that if playing Fire Emblem leads to me improving my ability to mentally calculate differences then it was all worth it.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Everyone knows about the soft reset right? Hold down L R - + together and it takes you back to the title screen? You're not all hitting the home button, closing the game and then restarting right?

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Hubert is a good boy who is very helpful to Edelgard. Keep up the work Hubert!

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Is it possible to have a tea party with Death Knight in full getup and if not why not and also when is the Death Knight Tea Party full length spinoff coming out?

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

The karmic penalty for savescumming your way through a Fire Emblem game is that you are cursed to play more Fire Emblem and this spiral of endlessly recurring damnation is an inferno from which there is no hope of escape.

fakeedit: a chapter of Dante's ineferno in which the savescummers and the casual moders are compelled to run in equal and opposite directions until the end of time screaming at each other as they pass

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

When I was a kid there was a nerdy kid who used to like to tell everyone that 'antidisestablishmentarianism' was the longest word in the English language. Do you know what? I think Edelgard is an honest to goodness antidisestablishmentarian and is motivated primarily by antidisestablishmentarianism.

e: OK I looked the word up and in my mind I introduced a doubled negative that wasn't actually there so I guess Dimitri is the antidisestablishmentarian and Edelgard is just a common or garden variety disestablishmentarian.

Prurient Squid fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jan 28, 2021

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

An image flashed through my mind of Bernie standing up for Death Knight, holding onto Death Knight's shoulder saying "do you have a problem with my Senpai?"

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Progress so far.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I just woke up from a sleep and I can't remember the details but I was in a castle. And I realise that being in lockdown and playing hours of Fire Emblem means that mentally I live in a castle now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I just feel bleary this January and I've procrastinated so I'm still three weeks away from Taitlean Fields which I assume represents the end of the Crimson Flower route. I'd like to turn Bernie in to a Bow knight before then but I'm not too bothered about that.

Anyway, I can really imagine the Fodlan equivalent of Shakespeare writing a play called Edelgard along the lines of Macbeth. And it's full of contrivances like Edelgard making a pact with Satan and plotting to murder her father and take the throne and killing anyone who was a threat to her power etc...