Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Manuela is good and would be drunk in every single support in a worse written game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
just here to drive by the thread and yell "ferdinand is the best character" out the window before i speed off into the sunset

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

FrozenPhoenix71 posted:

I still don't like Hubert

please reconsider

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I know someone else that refuses to play Crimson Flower and I guess my thought is if you've paid for 100% of a game why only play 75% of it

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Onmi posted:

Yes, Silver Snow is always the same, except the character events are, naturally, different.

You mean White Clouds

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
can confirm, only on my second playthrough (GD first, now on CF), will eventually do all 4 but currently my impression of dedue is literally just the word "stoic"

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

byleth

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Pre-timeskip, you only need one character for a paralogue but may not get all rewards if you don't have both (Ingrid/Dorothea is the biggest example, where you need Ingrid to get her spear).

Post-timeskip paralogues require you to have both

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
You can rewatch supports from the main menu

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I beat crimson flower yesterday and it was a route

That little poo poo on the wyvern next to the final boss is ludicrously strong. You know the one. He could one shot almost my entire team so he was hell to lure away

Also war is bad. but not impossible to justify. For some good real world writing on the occasional necessity of violence, might I suggest Frantz Fanon

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
shut up Tobin

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Between Joshua and Dorothea there is a running theme that fashionable headwear is a sign of immaturity, a crutch holding a warrior back from true greatness. In this 2000 word essay I

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Godface posted:

I got the DLC, but I haven't started it yet. I played through the main game via Edelgard's route over the summer (really enjoyed it) and I'm ready to go again with a new house. If I pick Dimitri or Claude at the beginning of the DLC, does that house narrative mix in with the DLC story. Just asking as I'm curious to play Dimitri's main story line in the near future. I've no real interest in Claude, so I'm wondering if I should just use his house as a starting proxy with the DLC? Not sure what I'm asking really, just want to know what's the best way to start the DLC?

You only pick Byleth's name and gender for the DLC, it's an independent thing that incorporates all three houses without having to choose.

I recommend doing it before your next full playthrough as it adds a bunch of stuff to all future playthroughs once beaten. Just know it's fairly hard, if you're rusty it may catch you out a few times. Stick it on Normal even if you usually go Hard

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

Started this maybe a week ago. On chapter 10 with the Red Eagles.

I haven't tried to recruit anyone from other houses, yet, (outside the other professors) because I've been so focused on ensuring my house's motivation remains peaked through lunches and gifts to maximize instruction sessions. So, I may be boning myself out of a lot of power?

Bernie was my early game all-star. Archers seem to be stupid good, and the sheer number of casters I have access to is kind of nuts for an FE game.

And I just realized that I missed level B with Rhea because I didn't bother checking my support link with her last month. >_> (I didn't bother to interact with her or Seth for a long while because it seemed pretty obvious that the Central Church are a bunch of psychopaths I'll eventually have to cleanse off this planet. :getin: ) Maybe that was a mistake?

How are your support levels with Edelgard and Hubert?

You'll want to be sure to save at the start of chapter 11, there's an easily missed choice you can make that will affect the latter half of the game (and your subsequent enjoyment probably, going by your last couple comments)

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
If you wanted to be extremely generous you could call it a case of mechanics reflecting the writing

He's a straightforward guy that punches things, of course he can't easily become anything else

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Finished Azure Moon today, third route I've done. Just Silver Snow left which will be the first time I recruit literally everybody possible, both to spice up what I gather is a very boring route and also for support log purposes.

Heard a lot of horror stories about the final AM map but I found it vastly easier than the end of CF

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I'm going to try my first NG Maddening run soon and I was planning to attempt Golden Deer, as it was my first ever run so I played on pitifully easy Normal mode, plus I wasnt planning ahead so I never got Claude's Petra and Annette supports (thus I'd also try and poach them). Theres also his Balthus support that now exists.

Any general advice or tips? From my limited research I gather that the 100% hardest part is keeping Ignatz and Lorenz alive in the reunion map

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Possibly a good idea to ensure Hilda isn't on a wyvern before the chapter then? As she almost always is when I use her

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Amppelix posted:

honestly the way people will instantly decide a character is awful if they seem like a bad person has never made sense to me. i mean it kinda does, it's only human to dislike people who seem awful, but like. it's a character. the purpose of characters is not to be your friend and have fun times with you, it's to bring interesting and entertaining writing to the table.

like, for a relevant example, i've seen people not do any of lorenz's supports because he seems like (and kinda is) an unlikable fop. don't you *want* to see people dunking on him? you can't have scenes like that if there's no character to dunk on!

agreed 100%. Some of my favourite characters are awful people and liking a character does not mean you identify with and agree with every one of their traits, which the internet really seems to struggle with

Shinon in PoR/RD for example is probably my favourite character in those games and he is an unrelenting bag of poo poo, but they would be worse without him in them

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

Besides, the two canon relationships for Ferdinand are either Dorothea or Constance.

Hubert is right there

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
The Dorothea/Hanneman A support is deeply cursed

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
That dumb nerd wasnt even correct, floccinaucinihilipilification is longer

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I've still not played Silver Snow though I have every intention to (though that's in the same pile of intention as "I should really dent my backlog instead of constantly playing Monster Hunter"). When I do, it will both be my first "recruit everybody" run, and also I'm intentionally using people I've never used i.e. Manuela, Hanneman, Anna.

I gather the Hilda recruitment window is really fuckin tight?

Dr. Cool Aids fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Feb 19, 2021

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Yeah in the later stages of Part 2 where your supports are all good, you've done one monastery trip that month for the dialogue and you dont really need to level up, Seminars are a good quick option to get you to the next story battle while being far less useless than Rest

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Rimusutera posted:

There's other things like cooking stat boosting meals to worry about that are really powerful, gardening for stat boosters, and getting Byleth's ranks up that all matter if you're playing optimally. There's not a point in the game where seminars are ever a reasonable option to do if you care about leveraging the actual resources you have available to you to beat the game.

Unless ones playing on like Normal I guess, in which case everything matters a whole lot less.

Even on Hard this really doesn't matter, I've gone three playthroughs without really engaging with the stat boost cooking

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Ferdinand with literally everyone please

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So is there really no way to grind for gold/xp without just doing the first map over and over? I miss the XP/Gold map in Awakening :(

The DLC adds in random auxiliary maps that give very large cash rewards when cleared

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
as duscur has shown, white peace is the only peace faerghus believes in

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
i am ferdinand von aegir

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
fire emblem

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I haven't started yet but it's almost definitely alt-history. That's what Age of Calamity was to Breath of the Wild also

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
yeah the dlc cleared at any difficulty unlocks stuff for any future playthrough at any difficulty

e: and current playthroughs I think

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I like musous and also Muslims

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
ravishing ladyyyyy
princess from a foreign land

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009