Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Shiny777 posted:

Wait, Byleth's a silent protagonist? I think I missed that in all the other info up to now, and now I'm wondering how that's gonna work with supports.
They have lines when they level up and stuff so I imagine they'll have lines in supports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Minus Green posted:

We know it's possible to pull students from other armies into ours, but is it possible for students to leave? I know Mercedes is originally from Black Eagleland despite being a Blue Lion, and it makes me wonder if Edelgard or someone else will have a way to bring her back to her homeland somehow.
I doubt they'll have students leave your party anything more then temporarily, considering how involved leveling them is.

Dunban posted:

I'm set on my house, but I'm still totally unsure which difficulty I'm gonna choose for my first run. Normally I'm not someone who really enjoys playing games at higher difficulty settings than the default one, but stuff like Awakening or Birthright have been so piss-easy on Normal that I basically had to choose Hard. On the other hand, Echoes was almost too tough on Hard, bordering on frustrating at times. I really hope they find a good balance this time, and that we get some decent impressions about the difficulty before launch (not holding my breath on that one, given the utter lack of skill most game journalists have).
I doubt Hard in this game will be as rough as Echoes, considering a lot of Echoes' difficulty came from its janky NESness. And you could always play on hard/casual and just reset if people die unless they die very close to the end of the map.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Supersonic Shine posted:

You’re getting Byleth and you’re going to like it.

It's almost definitely going to be Edelgard if anyone, they're pushing her super hard in all the trailers.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zore posted:

Have they gone into what, if any, mechanical customization we can give Byleth? Do we get the high/low growth system from Fateswakening?

It seems like they can just learn from other professors like the students can learn from them, and that's the customization? They haven't said anything about growth customization.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

marshmallow creep posted:

It occurred to me that we haven't seen much of Byleth's papa. I hope we get some father/daughter time and he doesn't become another Greil or Shiharam.
Jeralt's profile mentions that he uses Byleth becoming a teacher as an 'in' to join the knights, so it seems like he might not die? It'd be weird to have him go join the knights then die instead of just dying as a mercenary.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Some post timeskip designs' in game models. Spoilers, natch.

Looks like Bernadetta, Ashe, Lorenz, Hilda, Caspar, Felix, Lysithea?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Terper posted:

Jeralt is so incredibly Greil 2.0 it's amazing, I can't wait for him to die
I'm honestly thinking he won't die until at least the end of part 1, instead of like, five maps in.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

isnt that jade's rival from tales of the abyss

dist's hair is pink

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SgtSteel91 posted:

Have they said anything about the teachers being playable units or having supports?

...I just want to smooch Catherine
we've seen manuela in combat on the player's side

and all of the teachers and adult NPCs around the monastery have classes shown when you go to interact with them

so, yes, probably

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

They confirmed that you'll still be able to do teaching and stuff and the schedule will still be there in the famitsu article, which makes sense since those are core mechanics, but the rest of that wasn't mentioned in the article at all.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrHte5Be7qw&t=363s

looking at all the tier 1 classes on edelgard. the female classes look really like, normal, in this game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Torrannor posted:

Does anybody know if the characters, especially Byleth, walk around the school in their default outfit, or their class outfit? Because FByleth's standard outfit is so bad, and MByleth's is not really good, either. But their outfits in proper FE classes look good. So I hope we're not forced to always walk around the monastery in ugly stockings.
It seems like they're in their normal outfits considering Dedue isn't standing around the monastery in full platemail.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you know by that logic its hosed up walhart was bald and didnt have a beard

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wtf

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah i just thought the white part at the part of his head was part of his helmet or a mostly shaved head or something

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean its not really surprising, the sky only occupies the like top 10% of the screen and given phoenix wright's mechanics you're focusing on either the character sprites during talks or the ground for clues.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the flame emperor is annette and the death knight is one of the dogs

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also according to some people wiht early copies/who got to play the game at e3, the game's fps and textures are a bit better than what they've shown in preview clips so far, probably because they were from earlier builds. (this might have been what the delay was for, honestly.) there's a few videos of the e3 build floating around youtube if you wanna look for yourself, and it does seem a fair bit smoother.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

Performance optimization is usually one of the last things done in game development!
yeah exactly. honestly looking at the videos most of my actual game engine presentation complaints are quashed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8d1TLVcbws&t=363s

its recording off a screen but it does look a lot better

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

he said son when
you grow up
you will be able to
s-support your students
but honestly thats not that weird

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

nintendo has more say over fe i feel like just because fe is so much smaller. the pokemon company probably has a bit more sway

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zore posted:

Eh, we just had Echoes which deviates from the standard FE formula more than Three Houses does imo (even if it is a remake).

Like is any of the first person stuff coming back? Or the dungeon diving? Or the weird way spells work?
the first person stuff and dungeon diving is kind of being kept via the monastery, since a lot of the same systems are in play. and no but spells seem to be working in a different weird way in this game where you have a limited number of casts per battle.

Megasabin posted:

I've never played Fire Emblem. If I'm solely interested in the srpg gameplay and don't really care about the story will this be a solid purchase? I know it isn't out yet, but I'm guessing long time fans can get a feel based on what they've seen.
The core gameplay mechanics seem really interesting but iunno how the map design will be yet.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean theyve been flirting on and off with moving the series closer to gaiden ever since fe8, they've always seemed really taken with some of its ideas. flatout remaking it allowed them to see what actually worked and what didnt in the modern era. echoes honestly feels like it might be one of the more important games in the series considering how much it seems like it freed them up to think outside the box.

ofc three houses was definitely being worked on at the same time as echoes, considering echoes was very much a skeleton b-team kind of game, but there was definitely some cross-pollination.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean the additional story content in fates was just 'what if the kids... were sad??' and that technically had new units, new locations, etc. i wouldnt put too much stock into it being anything earth shaking

esp. since the entire thing is only 24 dollars. obviously certain things in it cost more or less but if you break it down by fourths its 6 dollars

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zore posted:

Its not an equal breakdown though. Phase one is only a costume for Byleth while other phases have multiple costumes plus other stuff.
yes i literally said that. my point is that if it was extremely significant itd probably cost 15-20 dollars and i cant imagine the other stuff only costing 2-3 each. it probably costs like, 10.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

rannum posted:

side note i'm pretty surprised Wave 2 is coming 3 months later instead of nearer release where grinding maps would probably be at their most useful.
i get the impression this game's development wasn't exactly rushed or troubled, but it was a bigger undertaking than they expected. so dlc grinding maps probably werent a priority

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also looking at the trailers the maps look like actual, fire emblem maps for the first time since 12

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i didnt mean map design i mean literally just the way maps are laid out in terms of terrain, there's clear paths through them while still having some chokepoints instead of being tiny two pixel halls like 99.9% of the maps in conquest and half of rev or giant open fields like awakening or birthright/the other half of rev. like they look like a space that you can move units through without being miserable. maybe the core map design will still suck but more and more im realizing my biggest issue with the 3ds era was less 'the maps being well balanced challenges' and more just how the basic act of moving units through the space that was available was incredibly cumbersome.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tiger Millionaire posted:

Im only just catching up with game details and I've never not enjoyed a FE yet so im sure it'll be good.

But no promotions? Or weapon triangle?? Anime high-school for war???
there's promotions, the weapon triangle sort of exists in the form of breaker skills, the school is only the first ten chapters of the game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

none of that stuff matters at all to the story though

not to defend it because theoretically it should matter a lot but lilith is never around and anankos is just abig evil dragon regardless of what backstory you give him

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also yeah the kid story isnt completely terrible so of course it never got translated

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ooh i was misrembmering because it took so long to get translated, my bad

rannum posted:

I think it matters in the sense that its nice to have things like motivations but all it really succeeds in doing is being more of a mess.
anankos is one thing but liltih having any motivation makes her make even less sense than she already does

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean those might be base stats/promotion gains not growths

especially seeing as move is on there

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

rannum posted:

I almost forgot that Dark Mages were male exclusive and by extension, Dark Bishops

so dumb

yeah im whatever on gender exclusive classes but dark mage and hero being male exclusive is weird, esp. since things seem really weighted towards guys since theyve only shown peg knights as a female exclusive class

i can get, say, grapplers being male exclusive, and i can even maybe get dark mages being male exclusive if you want guys to have something unique to compensate for girls having low level flying, but idk why heroes would be male exclusive, especially when mercenaries arent male exclusive

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

They showed off the game at a French tradeshow. There wasn't a ton of new info, but we did learn that scanning in FE amiibo unlocks player phase music from their game that you can switch to, which is neat enough.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean they've said the school phase is about 12-13 chapters

and you gotta figure 'not skipping cutscenes' also includes watching every battle animation, all the incidental school conversations, etc

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Bee posted:

So what do you think was the draw? Was it just having a Fire Emblem game that wasn't stupidly rare like the Tellius ones or the bland FE11?
it looked like modern anime and came out at a time when a lot of people had a 3ds and needed games to play on it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i still dont get why the ds games looked how they did because izuka is a good artist

the art director for the ds games must have just sucked

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Remember when people complained constantly about the framerate in the cgi cutscenes and now it seems like thats been improved because it doesnt really seem to be a thing in more recent trailers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I think echoes cg cutscenes were just kind of rushed