Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Endorph posted:

i still dont get why the ds games looked how they did because izuka is a good artist

the art director for the ds games must have just sucked

It doesn't help that they went for 3d renders instead of hand drawn portraits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Pronouncing foreign words wrong is a proud English tradition.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Breakers are fairly common, but not really in the early game. Hit rates are generally pretty shaky on Maddening so get used to using a lot of combat arts.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Even without the bug, attack supports are pretty underwhelming. They're player phase only, are useless if you kill your target (which is your goal for player phase offense most of the time), proc after the full round of combat is done so you can't avoid counter attacks with them and are generally low enough proc rates that you can't rely on them. They're really only useful for the safe, free experience and building supports. Heal and Guard adjutants have much more useful effects.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

There are also a few classes that have unique combat arts that can't be used on other classes. In particular Sniper and Grappler have unique multi-hit combat arts that can make them more valuable than their Master class counterparts on higher difficulties where doubling is more rare. On Normal, though, perks like that and class abilities are probably a lot less useful than just going for whatever the highest move class a character can get into.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

You kill a god in like, half the games in the series.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Warp is nice but 4-5 range Warp is pretty underwhelming. And then Hanneman doesn't even have that going for him. I think they're the 2 worst pure mages in the game, but hey, at least they're free to recruit.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Female Byleth is mechanically superior on every route, though I guess on AM she loses the benefit of instant recruiting Sylvain. Pegasus Knight's early flight is just more useful than the male only classes. That said, if you want to go male Byleth to marry someone in particular, or just for a change, he is at worst the second best unit on each route and is perfectly viable even on Maddening.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Bishop is probably the best but if you want more mobility, Dark Knight is good. Linhardt's black magic list isn't stellar but Dark Knight's Black Tomefaire is still way more useful than Holy Knight's White Tomefaire.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I've never really found swords to be that great (outside of Byleth) in Three Houses in general. Thunderbrand is pretty good and a couple mages can pull off Levin Sword+ but they are kind of weak, have mediocre combat arts and the sword focused classes are nothing special except for maybe Assassin's 6 move.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

You really want to make sure you bait Dedue into attacking someone. You do not want him getting +4 defense since you really don't have the damage to hit through that.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

psy_wombats posted:

I am now really bummed that we'll never get to see that pegknight lord. I've heard a lot of people complain the game doesn't have a master class for lancers, but it really just doesn't have an endgame class for /male/ lancers of which Dimitri is the only notable one. Oh well.

On my madness run I ran Dimitri as a battalion wrath/vantage sniper, which was stupidly effective when run with a killer bow, Close Counter, and the sniper's innate 3 range on bows to deal with enemy archers. Given crazy Dimitri strength, even armorknights with warded blow were dying to that. and it made Hunting by Daybreak not a slog, for once

Paladin is a perfectly good endgame class for lance units. Wyvern Lord is probably better, but that's more that Wyvern Lord is stupid overpowered than Paladin being bad. Also, Sylvain, Ferdinand and Seteth are all male units that want to use lances thanks to getting Swift Strikes.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Cyril is ok. Point-blank Volley is great and he's the earliest character to learn a Brave combat art, but long term he's kinda outclassed by Leonie, who is statistically very similar but has a better personal skill and is usable in Reunion at Dawn. If you do want to use Cyril make sure you recruit him ASAP. He autolevels as a commoner and that will destroy his stats if you wait until later game to pick him up.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I think even on Male Byleth it's worth rushing Sylvain if you can get him before Chapter 5. Getting to keep the Lance of Ruin is super useful.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

It's definitely possible to evasion tank on Maddening, but it requires pretty specific setups. Like, a character with Prowess 5, Alert Stance +, a +20 Avo Battalion and Defiant Avoid is 100 Avoid while below 25% HP before even factoring in stats, breakers or terrain. Ferdinand and Dmitri's personal skills give +15 and +20 Avoid respectively while they're at full health so they can hit comparable Avoid with Brawl Avoid from War Monk or Sword Avoid from Dancer. That said, even these setups will probably be facing non-zero hit rates at least some of the time.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Hammers are literally axe weapons in Fire Emblem.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Guard Adjutants are really cool, but the others are basically just a risk free way to level up a weaker unit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

In some games Levin Swords are better than a lot of tomes, but other than that, yeah, it's mostly a class you take for the horse rather than swords.