Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

I always wondered why Lysithea wasn't as accurate as she should be given her great dex growth, but it turns out that in Three Houses the luck stat is actually kind of important for a magic attack's hit rate. In this game, a spell's hit rate is added to half the sum of a unit's dex and luck to make the total hit rate, so Lysithea's great dex is kind of undermined by her terrible luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

Amppelix posted:

this is why hit +20 is so good actually, because it for some reason also affects gambits, letting you cheese some hits with the trash-tier charm characters

Whoa, I've played Maddening a bunch of times now and never knew this.

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

Hey, don't underestimate the Cavalry -> Paladin line. Sure you're not getting the flight or strength modifier of a Wyvern Lord, but it's still an 8 move unit with canto and lancefaire. Plus, grounded units tend to have access to better battalions than flying units. In fact, if you do Sylvain's paralogue, I believe you get one that gives stride and a lot of avoid. As long as he gets Swift Strikes, Sylvain can't possibly be a bad unit.

As for Magic +2 and Draw Back, I'd say it's always worth it on every magic unit. Mages aren't really starved for skills like physical units are anyway, and even non-offensive units get use out of it with extended range for support spells. Strength +2 is also nice to have if you don't have any other skills to equip, especially for someone using gauntlets. I still leave it on for some units even in the endgame.

As for the War Monk, uhh... you can try it out and it's not a terrible class, but I don't think you get much out of it either. Even though Balthus is supposed to be the premiere War Monk, he really doesn't have good magic or spells to make it better for him than say Warmaster or Grappler. Still, if you are leveling up Balthus' faith you might as well give it a shot and see how it works for you.

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

Sleng Teng posted:

What about spd+2? Petra already seems pretty fast but I think I could use swap in similar situations to shove. I really like the movement arts to be honest, I use canto reposition constantly.

Honestly, I've never felt the need to get either Speed +2 or Swap. Darting Blow from Pegasus Knight usually covers the speed well enough, and +2 speed isn't as significant in Maddening when the fastest enemies will be way too fast for even Petra to naturally double. As for swap, I feel like it's the weakest repositioning art since you're replacing one unit in a bad spot with another unit in that same bad spot. I might be underselling Swap though; I have had times were map geometry and unit traffic prevented me from using Reposition, where Swap would have been useful, and Canto nullifies the weakness I just pointed out. It's up to you if that's worth it.

Also, I really wouldn't worry about the class growth rates, especially if you're trying to master classes. An extra 10% growth rate is just an average of one extra point over ten levels, and as you might have noticed, enemies have super stacked stats in Maddening that's only going to keep getting higher. As long as you focus on good abilities, gambits, battalions and combat arts, even characters getting unlucky level ups can perform well enough.

As for your Grappler vs. Warmaster dilemma, I generally think of Grappler as the better player phase class thanks to Fierce Iron Fist, the unique Combat Art for the class that hits three times, while the Warmaster does better during the enemy phase, especially if he also has some form of the vantage/wrath combo. Again, it depends on what you want your units to do.

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

It also doesn't help that in a very bizarre act of balancing, War Clerics get halved magic uses, so Edeldard's already limited magic is even easier to burn through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

I mean, there's a lot of ways for slow units to get around low movement in this game. Warp, Rescue, Stride battalion, dancing, Fetters of Dromi if you have DLC, march ring, range-increasing staves and abilities for mages, and positional combat arts like Draw Back, Reposition and Shove. I'm not suggesting that having high movement isn't important, but slower classes can keep up well enough if you don't have too many of them in your party. I generally prefer for Hubert to stay in Dark Bishop and just focus on high authority and magic, rather than waste lectures giving him a horse he's only going to use late in the second half of a relatively short campaign.

Bluff Buster fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 4, 2024