Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I voted for Blue but it's hosed up the Deers are last

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

My sister commented "he looks like a Purugly or Liepard gijinka"

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Can't wait to play this game in September, after Switch Mini comes out and Heroes has casually spoiled all sorts of plot details

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Alois is very cute but yeah Gilbert is... kind of a baffling choice from multiple angles, if true.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Having some older guys as options isn't really uncommon for dating sims I think.

Yeah but even then they usually try to make them prettier, while Gilbert looks like a normal older dude. It's also the fact that Alois also already counts as an older dude, plus Gilbert has a daughter that you teach yourself, that makes me tilt my head a little.

But I don't actually mind it, though, and

Endorph posted:

gilbert being such a nonstandard choice is what makes me like him imo

I can definitely respect this

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Speaking of older dudes I'm slightly disappointed Seteth and his green chinstrap isn't an option though

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

"Dedue: Hates Flying, Riding." :negative:

I guess I gotta hope armors/infantries are worth using in what seems so far to be Mounted Supremacy Emblem (I know that's like every game but...)

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

are u a punch weapon

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Also, it's probably better to have uniform colors for all three houses so it's less bothersome to read.

e: Oh they're supposed to correspond to the house colors. I guess that's fine then

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jul 15, 2019

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

The real reason Dimitri goes all anti-establishment is to protect his commoner-born lover Dedue

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Endorph posted:

Claude isn't romanceable by either gender, lol

unless its a mistake.

Neither is Dimitri, interestingly. I'd have thought he's a shoo-in given how well he'd fit into an otome game as a love interest.

Zoran posted:

Bow Knights can have 1-6 bow range and canto, so if you field an entire army of them you may be able to win the game without ever leaving your units in enemy range again.

This is so wild to me. I don't know how a few Bow Knights won't just break the game completely over the knee, or at least overly centralize your tactics around Bow Knights on both sides. But I guess I don't know how late you'd be reaching the Master classes.

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jul 20, 2019

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

That makes... more sense, given Alois and Gilbert's respective situations. Romance options aren't really too big of a selling point for me anymore so I guess personally I don't mind too much, but that said I can certainly be miffed at the imbalance of romance options between mxm and fxf.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Tipps posted:

I'm just going to go full volcel in my playthrough then if I can't have a buff gay anime husband. :colbert:

:emptyquote:

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Also uh is it really true that Alois's MByleth S-support forces him to marry a woman in the ending with no player input cos I'd really like to avoid that.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Reports of how gay you can be are pretty disappointing so far.

https://www.cgmagonline.com/reviews/fire-emblem-three-houses-review/

hahahahaha what in the gently caress it's actually as lovely as it sounded

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

I guess it's a good thing I'm getting this game late so I can hear how hard the difficulty levels actually are; kinda wanna go to the "Lunatic" difficulty straight away (which is called something else here, Maddening? Whatever the third one is) since we have the Turnwheel, unless it turns out to be some like, New Mystery Hard+++++ bullshit. I assume that's basically what the fourth difficulty level is, though.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Can't wait until Lunatic drops anymore, gonna get my Switch and 3H today. Think the plan is Hard BL, do the other two (three? I'm not totally clear) routes on Lunatic then go back to BL Lunatic to round it up.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

So are armors also more trouble than they're worth here or

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

I'm around Chapter 10 of my first playthrough (BL) and the biggest surprise so far is how good being a punchman is; this game seems to favor player phase much more than usual

Speaking of which, Stride is loving nuts and lmao that not only they gave access to it as soon as battalions unlock, they also gave two other Stride battalions within a few chapters

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Yeah my Dedue went Brigand first for Death Blow and it's been nuts, same for Cyril and his Point-Blank thing that attacks twice.

In any other FE Dedue would be in the dumps but here he's just MVPing all day

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Lowkey hoping Lunatic drops soon, since after getting a feel of the mechanics and stuff I feel like I wanna restart and make better choices, but I can't justify that when the game also doesn't seem hard enough to need that much optimization

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

I kinda regretted making Dimitri a Lord for 10 levels, but then again I was going in semi blind and didn't know about Brigand and Death Blow at the time

Charm is a pretty good innate, though, and it was pretty nice early on to help hitting ORKO thresholds (especially with fists)

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

I love this classic "stop the thieves from leaving with their loot" mission with a twist: instead of running away from you and being a pain to chase they're just readily moving towards you

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Free dismounting is kinda dumb and busted and it doesn't make sense to boot. Let them dismount before the start of the battle sure but not in the middle of enemy lines!!

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Actually, I haven't tested this, but if you dismount as a Wyvern Rider/Lord, can you then use gauntlets?

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

The monastery sections were pretty fun pre timeskip, but it feels like a slog now. More points to do stuff with but less people to interact with. I'm just spending the excess points in the tournament, at least money is actually relatively tight so money grinding isn't superfluous.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

I do that and still have 4-5 points left per day!

I guess it would be better if you've recruited a bunch of people, though, I didn't recruit anyone besides Hanneman, Manuela, and Alois

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Seteth has been a goddamn beast btw

What the hell is he doing with a desk job

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Flayn seems custom made to be the "default" dancer between her squishiness, supportive spell list, and high Charm (which doesn't actually do anything for Dancer, I know, but it's thematic)

Rescue is no Warp but it's still a really versatile spell, I use it very regularly on my (Dancer) Flayn.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Yeah Flayn has a good supportive spell list, which is why I think she makes a really good dancer? Her combat isn't great but generally speaking if a dancer can enter combat they can also Dance an actual fighter to do it, but Rescue is unique (and Fortify is semi unique) utility that you do sometimes prefer over dancing.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Originally I thought Sylvain's resentment towards women was a bit overwrought, and maybe kinda dangerously veered into "justifying misogyny" a bit at times, but the closeted reading explains it so much and was the last piece that made his character "click" for me.

Mr. Pool posted:

Increasingly mad that White Magic Range +1 from S rank faith doesn't affect heals/buffs =(

What the hell, my Mercie's already at A+ Faith

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

What the gently caress, Retribution lasts for five turns :stare:

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Must've been completely intentional that they made Bernie a high-priority target in the Gronder Field chapter right :smith: They know, those monsters.

At least it's Seteth that did the deed and not any of the students, but.

e: I'm sorry, Raphael :smith:

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Aug 28, 2019

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Watching Dedue 100% crit some fools never gets old

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

I'm experiencing Dimitri's Battalion Wrath + Vantage combo for the first time and it's glorious

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Why does this guy have an Advanced Seal as his loot in Chapter 19

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Harrow posted:

He got such crappy level ups for me and kept saying "Is this a joke?" Eventually I had to just think, I dunno Ashe, is it? Wanna maybe gain more than one or two stats sometime ever for any reason?

This had been my experience too, then I just bothered checking the Archer class line's stat growths and boy they're terrible. Zero to negative Spd modifier, and the best Str modifier they have is +5% in Sniper. You can justify it with Bow Knight since cavalry movement and +2 bow range are pretty big boons, but Archer and Sniper don't really have a big advantage over other classes. +1 Bowrange is hardly a benefit when you have low Mov to begin with.

I think I'm gonna put him in Assassin for my Lunatic run, at least he can then gain Speed reliably.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

I didn't realize Assassin's Stealth means you straight up never get targeted when there's another ally in enemy range, that's actually pretty strong and gives you pushing power.

I think I'll just stick my Byleth in Assassin for the rest of the game, Enlightened One is kind of a sucky class lol

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Finished Blue Lions :toot: I wonder how different the final map would've been if I didn't abuse Battalion Vantage-Wrath Dimitri, while the rest of the gang took one side he pretty much mowed the entire middle row by himself :getin:

The plot kinda meandered towards the end, but overall it's a decently tight package. My next route is probably gonna be Deer, but I'm kinda hoping Lunatic drops first since I'm gonna restart from scratch for that anyway.

Also, something about Mercedes that didn't get explained: So what's her connection to the Death Knight? She was hemming and hawing over having to fight him, but since she wasn't exactly built for combat I didn't try to see if there was any special dialogue (plus she was so far behind anyway)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

There’s a paralogue she has involving him if you poached Caspar

Ah, okay. Maybe I'll do that during Lunatic, but then again I don't really plan on poaching other students during my runs...

How does poaching work exactly after timeskip, anyway? Do they just pop up in the monastery after you come back?

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Do the battalion vantage/wrath skills fire if you just don't arm a battalion?

Nope, you have to have a low-endurance one equipped.