Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I'm still going eldegards especially since I can poach a few faves off claude's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Clarste posted:

From the previous thread:

Remember that class-skills can't be transferred. It's possible, or even likely, that multiple different classes have access to the exact same Lancefaire or Axefaire skills. It's not like Awakening or Fates where you go to the class to pick up the skill, it's just a way of controlling what you do when you're in that class.

If class skills aren't transferable, I figure we'll only get repeats in Tier 4. Cuz otherwise I don't think any of the beginner, intermediate or advance classes we've seen thus far have had overlap

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Terper posted:

The most insane twist will be when Byleth dies and we take over as Jeralt instead

i was still hoping the twist would be we turn evil and then the house leader is the new lord

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

NoA is starting to put up House profile videos, narrated by the house leaders. So we get a better listen to Edlegard's current voicework, and a few snippets of a few other students
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGgka2FOjpA

also there's a FEH/F3H bonus thing, if you buy Three Houses, have your Nintendo account linked to Heroes and redeem the gold Points you'll get a 5* Byleth (M) provided you do it within a year.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Raserys posted:

Yeah I remember Mario odyssey looking a lot better between the first e3 trailer and the second

This is how every Nintendo game goes, almost like clockwork

except pokemon. that's ... mostly the same....b-but otherwise!

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Tae posted:

Pokemon isn't really a nintendo thing, they're basically autonomous.

Nintendo owns a third of the Pokemon Company, pretty sure straight up owns the IP, green lights the games and so on.
Compared to their other "second party" franchises there's more moving parts but it's not that dissimilar to Intelligent Systems handling Fire Emblem, unless Nintendo's own internal people assist on the game more than I thought. But I'm sure-ish that unlike Paper Mario its mostly just intsys on their lonesome

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Tae posted:

Maybe read this to realize that Nintendo owns less than you think: https://www.theverge.com/2016/7/25/12269466/nintendo-stock-plunge-pokemon-go

Typical, I I forgot that Nintendo only steps in (msotly on greenlight and publishing it seems) on its own consoles while Pokemon can do whatever on the phones & PCs and junk. They have like 4 or 5 other mobile projects on there alone, don't know how I forgot Nintendo didn't have a hand in them.

Double checking some Iwata Asks, I see Iwata was part of Creatures at one point so him coming on to help was a different situation as well. Ah well, should probably double check these things before hand.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Annath posted:

IIRC Iwata was single-handedly responsible for fitting both Kanto and Joto into one GBC cartridge, allowing for the unique setup for the 2nd gen of Pokemon. But in general, Nintendo basically just rubber stamps whatever GF wants to do because Pokemon has made more money than the GDP of some countries.

Correct, among other things. Here's some quotes since I still had the Asks open and its a fun topic

quote:

Iwata: Although I wasn't working for Nintendo at that stage, I ended up acting as a go-between for Nintendo and you for some reason. (laughs)

Ishihara: That's right.

Iwata: At that time I wasn't a Nintendo employee but was President of HAL Laboratory. At the same time, I was a board member at Creatures Inc. and I ended up being involved in analyzing the best way to localize the overseas versions of Pokémon Red and Pokémon Green. For that reason, I got hold of the source code for Pokémon Red and Pokémon Green and I would study that and suggest ways to localize it to the relevant department at Nintendo.

----
Iwata: Right. (laughs) You decided to release Pokémon Stadium for the Nintendo 64 and the first task was to analyze the Pokémon Red and Pokémon Green battle logic and send it over to Miyamoto-san and his team. You'd normally expect there to be a specification document, but there was nothing of the sort...

Morimoto: I'm so sorry! (laughs)

Iwata: No, no, it's fine! (laughs) Studying the program for the Pokémon battle system was part of my job.

Morimoto: I created that battle program and it really took a long time to put together. But when I heard that Iwata-san had been able to port it over in about a week and that it was already working... Well, I thought: "What kind of company president is this!?"(laughs)

-----
Morimoto: What's more, there were the tools for compressing the Pokémon graphic code...

Iwata: Ah yes, the compression tools. [This is specifically what was responsible for getting Kanto in the games I believe]

Morimoto: You were kind enough to create those tools.

-----
Ishihara: That's right. At that time, Game Freak really had their hands full and wouldn't have had the capacity to work on the next title. The necessity to properly gather together all of the strands of brand management and overseeing licensing led to the establishment of The Pokémon Company.

Iwata: I joined Nintendo in June 2000 and one of the first jobs I was involved in was the establishment of The Pokémon Company.

Ishihara: So it was! (laughs) When the idea of setting up The Pokémon Company was originally discussed, I actually thought: "It can't be done." This was because the number of Pokémon licensees and rights holders had increased so dramatically, which I thought would make setting up a new company to consolidate all of this impossible. But Iwata-san, you were good enough to play a coordinating role not just for the domestic market, but globally. You really made an incredibly valuable contribution... (laughs)

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Megasabin posted:

I've never played Fire Emblem. If I'm solely interested in the srpg gameplay and don't really care about the story will this be a solid purchase? I know it isn't out yet, but I'm guessing long time fans can get a feel based on what they've seen.

I've had friends enjoy FE while skipping the story (probably the best way to play Fates....) and looking at it purely mechanically

Three Houses seems to have a solid base line on its systems and you can automate the school stuff between maps so we're mostly waiting on if the maps are any good. But nothing has indicated their worse than Revelations or Echoes so it's probably fine.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Looks like they just announced the expansion pass for THree Houses

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1146569591310544896

Seems like it's a $24 pass

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Oh they list more on the eshop with estimated release dates
-Wave 1 is Officers Academy Uniform (Byleth) on release day
-Wave 2 is "Additional Auxiliary Battles+" and "Additional Items+" with both listed for 10/31/2019. "Additional Auxilary battle maps, helpful in-game support items and more"
-Wave 3 "Additional Quests+" and "New Attire+" both listed for 12/31/2019. "Additiona lquests & costumes ... plus, another free update."
-Wave 4 "Additional Story Content+" on April 30th 2020. "Discover new story content, with additional playable characters ,locations and more." with another note for another free update.

fourth house baby!!!!

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Zore posted:

Wow hey guys its the Purple Mice! They've been standing juuuust offscreen the entire time.

zore please that's ridiculous

it's the Gray Wolves

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Endorph posted:

i mean the additional story content in fates was just 'what if the kids... were sad??' and that technically had new units, new locations, etc. i wouldnt put too much stock into it being anything earth shaking

esp. since the entire thing is only 24 dollars. obviously certain things in it cost more or less but if you break it down by fourths its 6 dollars

It probably wont be a full revelation styled extra route, fourth house jokes aside, but I bet it will be the priciest DLC of the waves and the bulk of the associated cost with the full pass. Picking at prices might be hard to do at this point, though, we dont know how extensive the grinding maps or other minor quests are or...litearlly anything. And we just came off a game that sold you classes for $2 each alongside actual maps with dialog, supports, items and characters for $6 each. Kind of hard to gauge anything.

I could see it acting as a mini, i dunno, epilogue of sorts? Or some golden "what if" finale, where its not a full campaign but picks up as an alternate 3-5 maps for the ending that all 3 paths can take.

side note i'm pretty surprised Wave 2 is coming 3 months later instead of nearer release where grinding maps would probably be at their most useful.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Here's a japanese overview trailer that just went up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZqLpzlaiyo

Probably nothing super important or new, but we get a look at a lot more characters, systems and some new maps in action. I'm sure serenes and such will pick it apart for any extra stuff soon

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Endorph posted:

also looking at the trailers the maps look like actual, fire emblem maps for the first time since 12

Can we really tell that from the snippets we've seen? I feel like I could take similar shots of other maps in the series and you wouldn't know the full scale or their design unless it was an absolutely dire map to begin with

That's an earnest question, though, I'd like to hear more about why you think that. I'll admit map design isn't my strong suit

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

Having never touched the dlc, what do they add to the story to help it make sense?

Hidden Truths literally has a 15 minute exposition dump by the good anankos (anankos split in 2 btw (the good one dies at the end of Hidden Truths)) explaining the full backstory of Anankos, why he went mad, why he called the awakening trio, what he needs them to do and so on. Lillith is Anankos' daughter and Corrin's half sister, she's working for bad anankos but then good anankos dying breaks her out of it and she pledges to use the outrealm dragons or w/e to help Corrin but Never Tell The Truth

the 6 part kid dlc I think is about what Anankos would continue to do if he wasn't stopped, which involves destroying a bunch of realities and timelines. It's been a while and the story didn't stick with me as much as sitting through all the text boxes in Hidden Truths

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Endorph posted:

none of that stuff matters at all to the story though

not to defend it because theoretically it should matter a lot but lilith is never around and anankos is just abig evil dragon regardless of what backstory you give him

I think it matters in the sense that its nice to have things like motivations but all it really succeeds in doing is being more of a mess.

Endorph posted:

also yeah the kid story isnt completely terrible so of course it never got translated

The 6 part kid story did get translated, complete with a localization of both of Shigure's songs.

We didn't get the 2 festival fluff DLCs for the kids. I'm guessing they saw it as too much to be worth translating

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I love the songs so I'm linking them again

final map https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_A9az2xy3U
end credits https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wGKtWMiVbk

the next fire emblem should have a male singer for their vocal song so the localization can get mercer again imo

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Those stockings really should not have been approved purely because the art is writing checks the engine cannot cash

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Gamerofthegame posted:

even then it's weird the texture looks so bad

like, apples and oranges here in terms of budget and care but both odyssey and smash look amazing, why does this fire emblem look like a gamecube game

I feel like the battalion system is partially to blame, at least for the environments. I don't think it's entirely coincidental that the game looks like this and has Koei Tecmo assisting. It looks a lot like Fire Emblem Warriors which is pretty similar for frame rate and such

also while I get what you mean it is probably not the best thing to compare to

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I almost forgot that Dark Mages were male exclusive and by extension, Dark Bishops

so dumb

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Here's an interview with the various directors involved. https://www.vg247.com/2019/07/05/fire-emblem-three-houses-interview/

a few quotes i thought most interesting

quote:

“To tell you the truth, it was a very big surprise,” Three Houses director at Intelligent Systems Toshiyuki Kusakihara says of Awakening’s success. “To tell you more, I can say… I honestly still don’t understand why it was such a success, as we didn’t realize – we didn’t make any change to our philosophy to make Awakening be liked outside Japan.

“I still don’t understand why it’s so popular,” he adds with a laugh. “It’s strange.”

quote:

“As far as this game goes, I’m pretty sure that without the help of Koei Tecmo it simply wouldn’t have been possible,” Kusakihara says of the studio.

“Or maybe it was possible, but it would have taken a lot more time,” adds Genki Yokota, Three Houses’ director on the Nintendo side of development.

quote:

“Regarding the design aspect – Koei Tecmo didn’t do so much,” Kusakihara clarifies. “It was especially us at Intelligent Systems who did all of the graphics and design. For example, we had the help of a freelance illustrator Kazuma Koda [Nier Automata, Bayonetta 2] and also Chinatsu Kurahara [Uta no Prince-sama, Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters], who was the character designer. My team and I were in charge of designs like weapons, monsters and other details like that. So in design terms, it was mainly Intelligent Systems.”

“The main plot, the game system, all the ideas, all the gameplay mechanics – that basis was all decided with Intelligent Systems also,” Yokota adds. “Then after a lot of discussion with Koei Tecmo, we figured out all of the details, and Koei Tecmo helped with programming the game.”

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

There's also more casual factors that probably helped.
It had an appealing art style (& beyond the feet thing the graphics weren't half bad) & music, the maps weren't super complex (with the gimmicky pain maps put into paralgoues), it let you get really strong, it had a casual mode to get around the series' biggest issue casual people might have, there were shops all over the overworld with periodic grinding spots so weapon durability wasn't as much an issue.

Casual mode in particular was probably a big selling point, if I had to imagine.

It also probably helped that Awakening had a solid print run and anyone could buy it on eshop.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Endorph posted:

i still dont get why the ds games looked how they did because izuka is a good artist

the art director for the ds games must have just sucked

All the cutscene artworks (beyond not having eyes) and the full body artworks are generally fine but for some reason 'dead eyed doll' was THE look of the game because ????????

I can understand wanting renders for in-battle. Good sprite work probably costs more and they probably wanted Shadow Dragon to be grittier or relatively down to earth for......some....reason. Thus: dull 3d models that they can use to quickly create animations
But man there had to be a better way and the actual portraits needed anything better

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

remember when the 5 second clip of byleth weirdly reading a book and leaving the room proved three houses was both a 3ds game and also bad

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Endorph posted:

Remember when people complained constantly about the framerate in the cgi cutscenes and now it seems like thats been improved because it doesnt really seem to be a thing in more recent trailers

I was actually surprised by that because I figured it was an intentional artist choice. Echoes did the same thing. I wonder if they went back on it because of the backlash?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Endorph posted:

I think echoes cg cutscenes were just kind of rushed
Honestly the half frames thing I think kind of worked? IT made them seem like weird dolls, it was a little jarring but it was so consistent and the scenes were otherwise high enough quality that it seemed intentional rather than just "oh god oh gently caress the game comes out WHEN"

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I think we saw Gilbert in the overview trailer as an armor swinging an axe around which was very cool and good

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

That kid is ABSOLUTELY going to show up after the timeskip as a super boss you're not supposed to fight

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Here's another interview https://www.rpgsite.net/interview/8...eries-to-switch

not as much interesting stuff in here, though

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

blizzardvizard posted:

Can't wait to play this game in September, after Switch Mini comes out and Heroes has casually spoiled all sorts of plot details

I'm guessing Heroes won't spoil too much by then.
Even Echoes didn't have that much spoiled beyond showing some late game contextless maps and a vague thing about an evil celica in its first few months

the spoilers will be saved for february's fallen heroes, clearly :v:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Here's the Blue Lions video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfeIED_-VHs

I hope the Griffin Rider isnt just a thing for the crest and is the tier 4 classset

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Gamerofthegame posted:

you can do their hair color at the very least, though, so even that doesn't really make sense

if you can change the color of a texture you can also do light non-rigging changing model edits too

I don't think we can do their hair color, though. I think the only variation we've seen is meant to be a story thing

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

hopeandjoy posted:

At least five.

there should be a ng+ option and each time you go through a route you gain another level
only once you reach super saiyan god super saiyan will you be able to reach the [ True End ]

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

10 hours in is significantly faster than i expected, even accounting for reviewers needing to blitz through the game asap, i thought it'd be more 50/50 split

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

the year will be 2026 and people will be handwringing over the new FE being a fates

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

The english website is up, the most notable thing (since we've seen all this and way more through famitsu) for us is probably all the characters have a few voice lines to hear their VO https://fireemblem.nintendo.com/three-houses/characters/

except byleth, anyway.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Endorph posted:

the tl/dub here seems way better than fates. ofc they probably picked the best sounding lines and a few lines do seem a bit overly wordy but stuff like annette's second line is way more natural/goofy than basically anything that existed in fates

tbh might also be the original writing quality being better, but

Echoes & Heroes have generally solid translation work so I'm sticking to my theory that Fates was so uneven because of how much had to be translated at once.

Oh actually I was curious and checked Fates credits vs a few other recent-ish games, cuz I wondered if maybe there was also a problem of so many people in the pie as the base script had
If I'm reading the credits right there were like 20 translators/localizers on Fates, not counting scripters and other such people
Awakening had 5
Radiant Dawn had 10
Echoes also had 4 or 5
Shadow Dragon had....t-three??

There's other positions involved in each game (for example, the 8-4 games had another 4 or 5 NoA translators for assistance), but Fates Translator credit alone had 20 people before counting the other credits, like scripters and supervisor and so on.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Echoes, like Awakening, was 8-4.

Not saying that Three Houses is anywhere near doomed, the heroes stuff is a positive sign, just noting that Echoes isn't done by the same team as Fates.

Yeah you're right, I forgot to edit that out after I got sidetracked looking up credits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Jawdins posted:

There's a spoiler up of the opening cutscene

Here's the link

Well this wasn't what I expected and also this owns

when seiros is added to FEH as a mythic hero her crit animation needs to be throwing away her sword and punching people, i m h o