Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
i refuse to call geralt

jeralt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

everybody postin bs in this thread and not posting any evidence smh

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

that looks worse

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

the final boss in edelgard route is dmitri with an evil purple aura

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

why do people keep expecting fe to be some kind of paradigm of lgb representation

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

Mister Olympus posted:

people engage in this conversation when talking about any game with dating sim aspects or at the very least a heavily player-characterized protagonist that has a lot of dialogue options. it's not about FE it's about evolving standards in media consumption

any expectation of the series having any respectable representation of lgb relationships was thrown out the window with fates

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

Endorph posted:

rhajat and niles were okay

they were very barebones and the lack of getting a kid was stupid but like, as characters they were fine. it wasn't the worst thing in the world or anything. and soleil was stupid but felt more like a victim of how tacked on kids were than anything, and i like her a lot as a character.

the soleil A to S support had really weird and messed up conversion therapy vibes

it was p bad

Lessail posted:

drat best not expect any kind of good story to ever come out of fe again because of fates

also any kind of good gameplay

i liked fate's gameplay

General Morden fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jul 24, 2019

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

we got a bunch of real bootlickers in this thread

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

Brother Entropy posted:

choose for me too please

revelations

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

Lord Koth posted:

Black Eagles have definitely been the most marketed and advertised, both by Nintendo directly along with the official teaser articles put out by various publications/groups, so even without any other reason considered they'd be the most chosen by the silent majority. This isn't really something new.

have maga'ists ruined fe yet

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

it's very trump-esque to treat the anime women as glorified sex objects

haha that's fire emblem!

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

Endorph posted:

I mean it's just a chance to look at the character model in a bit more detail, not like you can stare directly down their cleavage. Not like anyone has cleavage to stare down. Except Raphael, I guess.

It's the context that it's in.

Context matters.

If it was just a model viewer then it wouldn't be as weird.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

Motto posted:

3 Houses sounds less weird than any modern Persona game tbh.

however, both series are known for being very weird towards lgbt

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

gbf has a better track record wrt lgbt representation

please think about that for a minute

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

people who complained about robin and corrin

byleth is a literal nothing character that says nothing and has next to no character

amazing

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

Gamerofthegame posted:

while robin in general owned, corrin was just kind of a poorly written dweeb character (especially the male one to memory, I think lady Corrin was in general feistier.)

Byleth, however, is written as drab and unemotive, which is usually boring... but they're also called out on this inuniverse and it's actually their character instead of just being bad writing, so it actually wraps around to being good again

that or treehouse took liberties with the localization to make jokes about it

that's a lot of mental gymnastics to try to like a character that has almost nothing going for them outside of some slightly funny dialogue choices

that being said i found a funny twitter drawing

https://twitter.com/yrfreakyneighbr/status/1155182208715378689

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

praising a character for being boring is just so crazy to me

corrin is naive and kindhearted to a fault, which are their defining character traits

whether or not you liked fates story is another story but at least corrin has defined character traits

i couldn't really tell you what byleth's defining character traits are outside of being slightly snarky

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

you can have good self-inserts sure

but byleth is like on the level of chris from mystery of the emblem

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

https://www.pcgamer.com/koei-developers-of-pc-strategy-series-romance-of-the-three-kingdoms-did-most-of-the-work-on-the-new-fire-emblem/

this is interesting

quote:

"Intelligent Systems provided Koei Tecmo with a minimum crew of several designers, a music composer, and an adviser to the programmers... we then left Koei Tecmo in charge of basic game development," said director Toshiyuki Kusakihara (Intelligent Systems is the studio behind Fire Emblem and Advance Wars).

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Congratulations. I was contemplating buying a switch just for this game to scratch my RPG itch despite the anime, then I read this and I don't think I'm heartless enough now. :(

what's the back story on your SA title

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/Saviala/status/1175518507297124352

a twitter thread for you

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

cyril is a boot licker and thus must be expunged

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

anime is problematic

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/kappa35kappa/status/1211166210416467968

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

Is Edelgard Problematic? - A Fire Emblem Retrospective Case Study (Youtube Series: #109)

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

how can you guys support cao cao

he's a villainous, dishonorable lecher

true heroes of the han support liu bei

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

the dlc for 3h seems extremely lackluster compared to fates

and fates dlc wasn't exactly that great to begin with

but at least there was actual content with fates dlc

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

as edelgard would say

traditions are meant to be broken

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

kris's relationship with katarina was cool and good

katarina's internal conflict was cool and good

new mystery was cool and good

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/rosebudding5evr/status/1218984859881943040

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/FireEmblemJP/status/1220609931767898112?s=09

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

Endorph posted:

the difference is that these developers have yet to say 'playersexual' or have a character's sexuality change based on the player's gender, so imo its way better.

as for poaching, on the one hand i agree ith as rough mechanical implications, on the other i love lysithea and edelgard's interactions. ultimately id say that poaching should have been limited to like two students before the game put a hard cap on it

poaching should have been not possible in the first half of the game

you should have been only allowed to do it in the second half of the game, when you meet those characters in battle and have a sufficient support rank (B to A rank?) and then in true classic FE style, either talk to them/convince them through a difficult dialogue tree (for some chars) or by straight up beating them in battle

fire emblem fates had a kinda interesting implementation with the capture and jail mechanic, but it was pretty one note and you could only use it for like non-unique characters. however, i've always thought that this mechanic had weird implications, considering that capturing someone and forcing them to fight for you is kinda hosed up and pretty difficult to do (that's why historically most POWs were detained indefinitely or executed)

hell, you can take this system one step further and have other characters, besides the player character be able to recruit chars, based on their support levels (like the lysithea and edelgard interactions you mentioned)

however, since the fan base for this series has become increasingly more attached to the characters (this is not inherently unique to fire emblem, fandom and attachment to individual characters has grown for basically everything in popular culture), they were put into this difficult situation of trying to appease fans who would probably not like the fact that, you might have to fight and kill characters that you've grown to like (the inherent drama that three houses is trying to highlight)

i think a hard limit to how many characters you can recruit would seem somewhat arbitrary and would make more people angry. i agree that being able to poach as many characters from the other houses does seem to dampen and lessen the inherent drama and tragedy that is supposed to be highlighted in the second half, but i think that it just being left up to the player's choice is probably the best choice at appeasing the fans.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

big boss was a war criminal and morally reprehensible mad man who used child soldiers

in three houses we are a war criminal and morally reprehensible teacher who trains and uses child soldiers

coincidence?

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

i think ignatz and leonie are cool characters but some people do not like those characters and that is fine and i respect their opinion

:)

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/theprinceofiris/status/1222152626931994625?s=19

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

why are they so gung-ho about removing all traces of the 3H soundtrack on youtube and other sources

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

wouldn't the devs be accused of pandering if they just made all the chars bisexual

feels like a doomed if you do, doomed if you don't situation