Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I'm still going to wait to see all of who is in each house, but as a lesbian drat if I'm not all in on team Black Eagle right away. Also I don't know whether to preorder or wait for a lull in FFXIV, since ShB good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I thought early reviews were saying everyone, or at least the vast majority, is bi? Since you can't have kids that would make sense AND please the most amount of people. Is that not true? Or do we just not know?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I mean when it comes to the GBA games, I remember shipping Marisa and Tethys hard in Sacred Stones. I think they were meant to love the same guy, but that's not how young me took it.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Claude looks super fun, but like Black Eagles is the magic nerd house and lead by an ice queen so I have no choice.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I haven't looked super in depth at all the characters, so my plan is to play through the school section blind to learn about characters, find out who I like, and if I fail to recruit them, I'll restart and look up strats.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Mister Olympus posted:

people engage in this conversation when talking about any game with dating sim aspects or at the very least a heavily player-characterized protagonist that has a lot of dialogue options. it's not about FE it's about evolving standards in media consumption

I also remember reading some initial reviews that mentioned they thought the characters could be read as bi, and as such I was hoping for more LGBT romances. It's dumb, but as a big dumb lesbian, I love shipping and dating sims and doing lesbian things in dating sims so it'd be a selling point for me.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Magic house, powerful empress, best colors. :colbert: That she and Byleth can be gay is also cool and good.

Though if everyone's master class is mounted, does that give Blue Lions a big advantage cause their whole thing is mounted combat?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, my game arrived earlier than I thought, even if it's a bit late, so I figured I'd ask, is there any kind of guide on how to skill people for idiots, so I can just follow that instead of suffer through choice paralysis for my first run?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Endorph posted:

the students offer their own suggestions on how to level them and have things the game tells you they're good at, so just focus on those things

Thanks! Is Hard the recommended difficulty? I remember talk about normal being too easy before launch.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

So in my Black Eagle run I've mostly been having everyone stay a class til they master this..how big of a mistake is this? I assumed that when they put on their new class their stats would adjust as if they had gotten all levels as that class, is that not true? As well, while I've mostly figured out a role for everyone, Caspar is just horrible at everything the game wants him to do by default. He somehow always gets 2 times by the enemy, can't dodge, can't deal damage, has no hp....my current thought is just dump him in a suit of armor because someone has to do it and may as well be him but like, is there anything he can do?

There's also a hilarious stat differential in the two main characters of Byleth and Edelgard and everyone else is just dust in the wind. Though Dorothea and Hubert can keep up in terms of murder because their magic is incredible.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jul 29, 2019

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

What are these paralogues? I'm on the month where Flayn is missing and I don't think I've seen anything like that. Are they like specific b rank supports or something? Also how long do I have left before the timeskip, so I know if I should focus on my students or getting my support rank to B with the students I wanna poach to get them easier than getting all the random skills to C.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Oh, and here I was thinking I was kinda deep into the school part. Guess I don't need to worry.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

So I asked some questions last night but it seems like everyone was asleep so I'm gonna ask again.

1. Is getting class masteries a good idea? I was under the impression when you class change the boosted stats are back loaded as if you got all levels on that class, I dont wanna screw my girls out of power.

2. Is there any way to make Caspar useful? Hes just a warrior atm but he does no damage, gets hit twice by the enemy every time and just seems like a liability. I've tried both fists and axes and poor dude cannot do anything. Like my melee in general seems anemic aside from Byleth and Edelgard but at least I'd describe Petra, Ferdinand, and Sylvain as equal to the enemy not worse.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Zore posted:

1. Really depends on the Mastery. Some are worth it and some are garbage. It doesn't change their level ups or backload anything though.

2. Caspar might just have not hit his growths well. The good news is if they're below certain thresholds he'll get pity stats when you promote him but you might want to just drop him if he's underperforming that badly. Assign him as an adjutant and he'll still gain exp and might turn it around.

Ah gently caress, so promote early and often then? I guess you can always change class later on to earn the mastery right?

My current plan is get him to armor knight and just pray he can at least use his talents for getting beaten up in a tin can.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Tae posted:

I'm already thinking about a 2nd house playthrough because going through Black eagles (just reached part 2) is making me think I accidentally did the 4th, what if path first instead of last.

Cause now I feel wrong on the other playthroughs.

Yeah, I just got got Edelgard's c+ support and I can't see myself doing any other playthrough or going against her cause :drat:

Zore posted:

Yeah, you can change back whenever you want and it doesn't cost anything.

Thanks! Guess everyone is getting fancier.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Sylvain and Bernie just shows that sure hes horny but hes a really sweet guy. I love him. Especially when hes next to Ferdinand. Who might actually act on his whole nobilise oblige thing but hes still a prig.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Zore posted:

I dunno about that, Ferdinand and Bernadetta have the sweetest A support.

I think hed be a good person if he wasnt a prig. But I do prefer Sylvains more laid back persona.

And as red haired Lancers there can be only one or something.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Leal posted:

You can't hook up with Manuela as fem Byleth what the gently caress

It's kinda dumb since she is bi and she does hook up with Boyleth. Also just everyone in general exudes insane amounts of bi energy, making it sad that not everyone is bi. I haven't gotten far enough to see any of the same sex romances proper, do they at least acknowledge that the romance is same sex to justify not just making everyone bi?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Bogart posted:

Remember that units have a limited amount of skill slots and basic 'better at lances' skills count. Many of your units may have lovely level 1 Swords or Authority hogging a spot when they could have a Seal Skill, Rally Dex, or Swordbreaker. Go to Roster > Abilities to be sure!

I know this because it's December and I realized nobody was doing much sealing.

That seems really loving stupid because you have very little control over that at all. I mean looking at a lot of my units I know they are entirely full on skill slots.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Bogart posted:

You can remove skills and they just go into an 'inactive' list that you can swap between freely.

Oh. I did not know that. Do you do that via the roster or via pre battle prep?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Thanks much! That is huge.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

The real reason to recruit everyone is to...hopefully minimize the heartbreak when poo poo goes down.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Master classes seem oddly limiting and specific so I almost feel like they are meant only if you have a specific goal for that character.

As well speaking of limited seals what should I do with the dark seal I have? I don't know the difference between dark and black magic, and thus who would be best for it. I guess Hubert? But I also have Dorothea and I'm working to recruit Lysithea and those are the obvious candidates.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

DC Murderverse posted:

man i really want to snatch Hilda from her home team because she and Sylvain are made for each other.

I do want to get her because I can just imagine the carnage her and Edelgard would carve up side by side, and what with Caspar being mediocre in my run, but her recruitment window is crazy specific and as Black Eagles you can't give gifts or lost items to her so you need to spam luncheon her to get support points to hopefully hit that window. (None of which I have been doing.)

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

For the Lorenz paralogue do I actually have to have him recruited to get the sweet sweet staff for Lysithea? Because I do not like his design at all and would have no place for him in my line up, but considering a strong theme of this run is magic gods....

Actually for that matter who all has paralogues and what are the rewards from them?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Endorph posted:

You actually have to have him recruited just to get the paralogue, I'm pretty sure.

Everyone has a paralogue, though some characters share theirs, like Alois and Shamir or Hilda and Cyril. A few characters only have their paralogues post-timeskip, too, like Marianne.

end of february/beginning of march

Whelp time to shovel food in his face til he likes me. Luckily I'm in month 10 so I still have some time.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Iymarra posted:

Okay, I keep struggling over what routes to take people down

Protag - god of war, jesus. I'm level 21 and everyone else is 13
Edel/Count Miserable - not concerned.
Dorothea - Gremory?
Petra - Axe monster? Was gonna make her dancer but I really dig the axe maiden vibe.
Sleepyboy - not a gosh darn clue.
Caspar - Punchmans
Poached Sylvain - Horsemans
Ferdinand - An alternate dancer? I'm really not feeling the guy

Thoughts? Anyone done anything similar?

For me it is

Byleth - sword goddess
Edel - warrior for maximum axe
Hubert - mage god 1
Dorothea - mage god 2
Petra - assassin
Linhardt - healer
Sylvain and Ferdinand are my cavalry right now
Caspar is an armor knight because he has no stats atm and it's about the only way for him to live let alone contribute.

Of my poached units Lysithea and Ingrid will probably see the most use as another mage god and pegasus knight.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I did not know that soft boy Ashe had skills in swords and axes. Given that he already has higher strength than poor Caspar....I think I have my replacement axe user. Also I feel guilty recruiting all these students and never using them, but I'm hoping on the B rank support saving me from having to kill them... :ohdear:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I'm running into the issue of, I wanna use Ferdie because he has supports with EVERYONE because he's properly in my class, and while he's a decent unit....Sylvain has the ace in his sleeve of his lance and his special traits and like...it's hard to not use him because they make him so strong

I guess my fault for building them both as cavaliers with the intention of being paladin. I was gonna use both and make Ferdie a Wyvern Knight, but the tiny deployment limit has kinda nipped that in the bud for me. Ingrid is enough flying.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Andrast posted:

You can always use more flying imo

Certainly possible. Really wish default deployment was 11 instead of ten, I'd feel much less like I was leaving just one more person thought would be cool to have around. :v:

Current endgame line up I'm planning on is

Byleth - Personal Class
Edelgard - Personal Class
Hubert - Dark Bishop
Dorothea - Gremory
Petra - Assassin
Ferdinand - Paladin/Sylvain - Paladin
Lindhardt - Bishop
Bernadetta - Sniper
Caspar - armor knight/Ashe - Hero (poor Caspar has been brutally hosed by stats)
That leaves just one slot open, and I have Ingrid as a flyer and Lysithea as another mage goddess I want to fill it. I could just cut Caspar/Ashe entirely and fit both, though that'd be just Ingrid for spears and she's not exactly overflowing with strength skill ups. You know, is there a good class to just farm strength skill ups on because I hate seeing my dedicated melee with less than 20?

Eimi fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jul 31, 2019

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I mean at least seeing the online stats Black Eagles is overwhelmingly popular. The most deployed list is just the Black Eagles house and no one else is on it. Also clearly the reason to recruit people is to hopefully save them from the second half of the game. It is funny seeing how insanely full your classroom gets.

As for the Black Knight I have no idea how to legitimately beat him. Even my best units in Edelgard and Byleth get double attacked for 33 damage each time. Bernadetta gets hit even if she's using deadeye from half the map away. Guy is just walking bullshit. I wanted to kill him and I'm playing on casual so I just resigned myself to suiciding one or two guys into him just to wipe the smug rear end grin off his face. No idea how to beat him legit.

Also the only NG+ I could see doing is Edelgard's route again just with the optimization I've learned and maybe actually doing classic. (Even if how punishing stat growths are in terms of making someone amazing or just trash)

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I kept Byleth because I was thinking maybe people would say the default name but nope. :v:

Also is it just me or do wyverns look really bad this game? I don't remember them being this derpy in Warriors. ...I miss the old s wyverns.

Also swords are cool and since Edie has an axe I get to be the sword master.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

DLC Inc posted:

I've been pleasantly surprised at how good the writing for the character moments are. Going from Fates to 3 Houses is probably one of the biggest swerves in tonality since like, God of War Trilogy to God of War 2018.

For Golden Deer, Hilda and Lorenz are probably two of the more interesting people that develop. One's kind of a a lazy gently caress who actually has limitless potential and is actually very diligent in a lot of her support encounters, while the other comes off as a snobby poo poo but kind of actually has really good intentions politically? Even the team members who seem a little crabby have some really nice arcs that tell you a lot about them.

Too funny when two characters get pissed at each other and then the text box pops up "Achieved C Level Support!"

At least his supports with Byleth, even up to B rank is basically this guy is a medieval incel and I loving hate him. All it is about is him creeping on women and not getting it when you as a professor tell him to knock it off.

Though Hubert is the best since most of his supports are him totally playing up the evil vizier role and threatening to kill you and then you get that pop up.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

(Hubert A-ranks w/ other students) :sigh: I was looking to gay marry Edelgard but now I feel like I would be robbing Hubert of his big chance, dorky as his confession was. Then again, he also more or less implicitly accepted a marriage proposal from Dorothea, so maybe we can all just be a big giant polyamorous, power-dynamically problematic pile.

Does the game actually even pair up characters who aren't Professor Who, anyway?

Look Hubert you talk about murdering me all the time but if you get inbetween me and my lesbian empress I will destroy you utterly.

I think there's a stat where the game shows the most overall support points, which are gained past A rank, and the people with the highest points together get their paired endings.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Also on shipping people, if I shipped Hubert with anyone it'd be Bernie because she's consistently the one person beyond Edelgard he's nice to all the time.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Dorothea is def the most gay...or I guess bi of the main cast, not sure if the cast members with implied gay endings also have straight ones.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

They are all my broken and damaged children and I love each and every one of them and I will keep them all safe.

(It amuses to me no end how the house from the Empire is the most bad news bears of the bunch.)

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

What plants do I need to occasionally get str boosters? Because I certainly have characters who could use that.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

TurnipFritter posted:

I'm excited to see what the Blue Lions look like together post time skip, because Ingrid and Annette have made some very interesting palette choices.

The perfect Hero Relic for Lorenz when he eventually upgrades to a Dark Knight, the extra range will really help him out! Yep, he's the Glouchester Crest bearer most suited to the Thyrsus. Can't think of anyone else who could really make use of it.

Yeah it'd be a shame if there was a small walking nuke who would love some more range. Lorenz is also probably the one character I actively dislike and wish I didn't feel compelled to get him because Thyrsus is just that good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Zore posted:

They did in Fates. Its super weird they brought them back.

That was one of the like unambiguously good things Fates did too.

It is real dumb and hey maybe they'd patch it...haha...right?