Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

https://twitter.com/poochy_lily/status/1142095257590517762?s=19

Oh thank god the better hair improves everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

mandatory lesbian posted:

i sincerely thought this video was titled "welcome to the black parade" and thought this was gonna be some kind of meme video

When I was a young boy
My father
Took me to the monastery
To see the anime high school

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

The Shortest Path posted:

Golden Deer are art students, Blue Lions are angsty literature students.

No wonder the Blue Lions are the best house.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I definitely think that it’s status as a good RPG in the early days of the 3DS helped. That, along with friends being excited for new FE, caused me to buy Awakening, even though I had never played an FE game before and didn’t really know what it was. (Awakening didn’t grab me enough to make me an FE fan or even finish the game, but that’s a different story.)

It’s easy to forget now how dire the 3DS’s library was now that it’s so expansive, especially for JRPG fans. But in the early years of the 3DS, there were so few releases. I primarily played DS games on my 3DS for a good half a year myself.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I imagine another downside, in addition to the fact Byleth has to get skills for them and you don’t have time for everything, is that they’ll have limited support options. Probably just Byleth and whoever they share a support with naturally that you pilfered/joined after the time skip.

Gluten Freeman posted:

I was gonna pull out that quote about Genealogy too! I like that it's an explicit inspiration (and obviously adds to my hope of an eventual remake if they're thinking about that game a lot).

It makes sense too. It seems a lot of the mechanics are refinements of Genealogy’s.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Jawdins posted:

How many super saiyan forms does Byleth get?

At least five.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Dancers are interesting. I wonder what the best class path for them will be, with the focus on sword and authority with some magic. Since they are a master class, it seems you kinda need to plan in advance who’s going to get there.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

All these magic classes make me hopeful.

Good magic classes is the mark of a good jrpg because magic best weapon.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

https://twitter.com/keepsakering/status/1149703070579924994

:getin:

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Endorph posted:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/323916996657807362/599393076775092224/D_T4kJsX4AA4gjy.jpeg

Gay male options confirmed, or at least a couple more. Very minor recruitment spoilers.

One of them has already be stated to be married in prerelease materials, so I kinda doubt this leak.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

It also doesn't make sense that two of mByleth's three gay options are teachers when three of dByleth's five gay options are students.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Yeah once I saw a reviewer was the one who posted it, I resigned myself to it.

Intsys why. At least there's cute girls to gay marry. :(

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Endorph posted:

Imo theyre cute old guys

who knew they asked naono bohra to write for this game.

(admitting i know who that is is probably trap sprung, but oh well.)

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

The more ??? thing to me is why there isn’t an even number of gay options with a similar divide between number of student and teacher options.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I swear that leak mentioned Mercedes as an option and that Linhardt was the only gay option for guys they knew about but there could be more. But maybe I am getting leaks confused.

Also, I thought the person who posted about how 2 of the gay options for Female Byleth were spoilers and the person who posted the options for Male Byleth were different people and so I just assumed the former didn't want to reveal the teachers were recruitable or something. That's my bad if those were both from the same person though, I wasn't intending to spread misinformation. Even if posting about leaks of not 100% accuracy is basically that.

They definitely said that Linhardt was the only one they knew of but that they had been told there was more.

e:

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Tired Moritz posted:

Why dont IS want my fujo gold...

this but unironically

Endorph posted:

fujos are into old guys these days

source: moriarty fate/grand order

i blame tiger and bunny but in like. a good way.

hopeandjoy fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jul 13, 2019

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

https://twitter.com/beetle_crab/status/1149910240638525440

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Endorph posted:

its got everything from 'lesbians exist solely to mock gay men' to 'gay old men are disgusting' to 'no woman could ever want to gently caress an older woman' truly it is the pinnacle of the discourse

i. didn't get the first part from that comic. i read that as "the wlw options are all good and there's more of them."

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Dude I’m literally a wlw too you don’t need to rant at me.

We don’t even know that those other two even ARE the other options, the previous leak mentioned Manuela as an option who IS an older woman.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Endorph posted:

Yeah there's a few really solid beats like that. Annette has an axe proficiency too.

I am HERE for axe mage.

But seriously, considering the limited charges mages have (I think a saw a screenshot where Thunder had 8) it might be very useful for magic users to be able to use melee weapons as well, depending on how long the maps are.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I would be very shocked if any of the members of the house you choose plot die, considering they seem to be your “main” group of units.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Schubalts posted:

So how far can one take a lady into the skill of Punch?

I think you can level her up all the way, she just doesn’t have access to the classes focused on it.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

the real answer is that magic is everything.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

And Ike.

And he’s the only Tellius character.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Oh wow this is a really nice remix of the FE theme. I hope the rest of the soundtrack is this good.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

They were arguing about who Lachesis shacks up with even before that.

Nerds gonna ship.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I wouldn’t be surprised at two Black Eagle routes just because it seems that Edelgard is the lord with the most marketing focus.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Endorph posted:

Personally I'd prefer if there was no self-insert protagonist at all, but. Like obviously a game needs a main character and I don't mind the option to pick their gender/rename them but you can just, make them a normal character in the plot, not an extension of the player.

This is me tbh. I know people like to self insert and roleplay, but it always feels really awkward to me. Like, I named Mark after myself in my first FE7 playthrough and felt super awkward every time a character would turn to the screen and address me by name. Every time I S-support someone with Robin I turn away from the screen because characters looking me in the eye and telling me they’re in romantic love with me gives me severe secondhand embarrassment.

And that’s me being a dork but still. It also makes it so that the Avatar can never be acknowledged to have screwed up so that the game doesn’t insult the player, which leads to a boring MC who never fucks up and has everyone kissing their rear end constantly.

Which I know happens with other FE protags as well. As much as I love him and PoR, Ike gets out of way too many social faux pax by the power of being the protagonist. But it feels worse with Corrin because the narrative isn’t just kissing their rear end, it’s kissing your rear end as the player.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Awakening especially has several cool or interesting relationships but you have no idea which ones they are because you've got so much choice. And by volume I think most are kinda plain with S Ranks being super awkward.

Yeah, the supports and especially the S supports were hampered by the fact that every support has to be both platonic, in case the characters are already married to other people or the player doesn’t choose to pair them, and romantic.

Which means in practice they’re platonic supports with a sudden proposal at the end.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

It means that when I do my Black Eagle run I can't go FULL MAGE, which is the most important part of any FE game.

It also makes it harder to recruit Black Eagle students into other houses. :(

(Hi, yes, I'm the person who always makes sure to bring Soren and Pelleas to the tower in RD so I can field four (4) mages in the game that nerfs the poo poo out of them.)

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

No leaker please tell me about the spoiler! What if I get 32 hours in but I can’t do a thing because I’m not at B charm. I need to know if I have to obsess.

Please I have anxiety I can’t handle video game decisions blind.

Tae posted:

Famitsu reviews are translated, apparently you can just submit scores without finishing a game because most of them are still in pre-time skip.

“Famitsu articles are a joke” is hardly a new problem, unfortunately.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Lord Koth posted:

Charm doesn't have skill ranks, it's just part of your stats like STR. Are you thinking of Authority? Because I don't think we've got a clear idea what leveling that skill actually does yet, other than something to do with access to battalions and being required for some classes.

And yeah, Famitsu reviews are mostly a joke - case in point, Fates got a 36/40.

Oh god that's worse. What if I get RNG screwed.

(she asks regarding the growths of a modern fe character)

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Geostomp posted:

They might, just might, have a single line in a cutscene. Aside from that, expect nothing but grunts and battle quotes.

I know one person on Reddit who says they’ve played the game said that Byleth basically spends the game nodding like a Persona MC.

Which will really make their supports boring if true.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

If no one in this game references Shanty Pete it’s a 0/10.

(Out of curiosity, does Shanty Pete exist in Japan or was it a thing made up for the localizations that they decided to keep bringing back?)

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I'm never going to finish this game and that's rad.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Zoran posted:

Someone posted the cutscene (probably from near the end of the school phase) where the school has its formal dance, and it features Claude winking at male Byleth and then taking him by the hand onto the dance floor. This game is such a gigantic tease

:|

They really should’ve just made everyone bi for Byleth. Or at least all the lords if they were going to do that.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

20 hours is about the length of most FE games before this so I’m fine with that.

Also because there are like. Five other routes to do.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I mean keep in mind you can still equip any weapon you want regardless of class, with the only exception being that you can’t use magic outside a magic class.

So there’s no sword focused Master rank classes, but you can still use your A rank sword and mastery skills from lower tier sword classes.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Do we know what NG+ gives you yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

https://kellyanimallover.tumblr.com/post/186259656416/so-gilbert-is-one-of-the-three-male-romance