Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
So, has this been done yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Black Eagles doesn't get access to a number of Church-affiliated characters due to being the one house that actually has a second choice-based story-split in it. Deer and Lion can start recruiting Church and faculty pretty early on, I've already got Catherine, Cyril and Shamir.

Shame Cyril sucks though. They decided his growths were acceptable *after* applying Aptitude, instead of before. So he effectively doesn't have a personal skill. Aptitude is a crutch rather than a bonus for him.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Zore posted:

Shamir is still available for Black Eagles. The only ones who aren't are Catherine, Seteth, Gilbert, Cyril and (oddly) Hilda.

Flayn, too. You get her automatically, but if you make the wrong choice in the split, she leaves.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I was distracted with other games when 3 Houses came out, but I've had friends babbling to me ever since (though avoiding mentioning big spoilers around me). I'm going deer for my first run because apparently it has a really psychotic and crazy finale, and I want to be able to talk to them about that. Also, Claude.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
As an aside, I love when a character asks to change their goals to specialize in a certain class, but it's the same goals they have now. Like, "Ingrid wants to change her goals from Lance & Flying to Lance & Flying to specialize in Pegasus Knight."

I get that (I think) it gives a slight boost to how fast they grow when they do it like that, but it's still funny. "I wish to change from A to A."

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Honestly, I loved Awakening's characters. They have their zany and silly quirks, of course, but once you get deep into some of the supports, they make a LOT more sense. Gregor and Tharja's A support is honestly one of my favorites in the franchise, simply for how huge a twist it is for Gregor's character.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
So, I assume there's no way to actually save the villagers in The Remire Calamity, considering they all just keeled over two turns in as part of a cutscene.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I wasn't even trying to go after the boss first. I was sending Byleth after the chest to the south, apparently the "You're approaching the boss" radius is goddamn enormous :( Welp, RIP villagers.

What would I have gotten for saving them, aside from warm feelings?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Oh, I got a lot of two-stat levelups in the first few chapters, but just keep at it. Raphael in particular is going to be slow as molasses, but let him punch stuff, and it won't really matter.

And, well... let's just say Golden Deer has the best/earliest answer to the Death Knight if you get Lysithea's Reason skill up quickly.

(She and Hubert are the only ones to learn it; Hubert doesn't get it till A-rank, she gets it at B-rank)

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
...Still kinda salty over just how unforgiving the "Villagers drop dead" radius around the boss is in Calamity at Remire.

IIRC, I warped Byleth to the white X, or somewhere close to it. The villagers all dropped dead at the end of that turn.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

How many supports do I have to do before Lorenz becomes someone I don't want to hit with a frying pan.

This is my third route and he is such a crappy person. I do not like this weird waluigi man.

He never drops the haughty noble bit, but his B supports with Ignatz and Marianne are pretty good, if you ask me. He leaves them feeling genuinely better about themselves. It seems to be a bit of a talent of his, helping people see past their own insecurities.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
So, a quick thought. I did a few auxiliary (free) battles early on, and ever since have been *horrendously* overlevelled, for the most part. But I notice, upon going out to do a few quest battles, that the Auxiliary battles seem to be scaling to MY level, as opposed to being scaled to where the game thinks your level range should be at this point in the game? Is that correct? That the free battles scale with YOU instead of with the game?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Yeah, there's kinda no excuse for a Lysithea in the high 20's to not be in an Advanced Class (probably warlock). At the rate she gains weapon skills, if she's been using Reason (like she SHOULD be), then I guarantee it's hit A-rank by then. And that's if you wait for the exam to be a guaranteed pass. Like, legit ask him why he hasn't made her a Warlock yet.

Andrast posted:

Why is their Lysithea getting hit by anything

Also this. Give her Lorenz's Relic and she can nuke people (and I emphasize the word "nuke") from four tiles away. Let's face it, she gets better use out of it than he does.

(Seriously though, Nuke is the right word. Get her Reason skill up to B fast, and she one-shots the Death Knight with Dark Spikes. There's a reason people joke that he's terrified of her.)

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Aug 25, 2019

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I'm one of those OCD Dimitri "Kill every last one of them!" types, so Warpskipping maps by just plopping a dude next to the boss and murdering him on a "Defeat commander" map is basically unthinkable to me. Only time I've ever deliberately ended the chapter like that when there was still stuff to kill was in Marianne's paralogue, where I was starting to feel a bit overwhelmed, and was thinking "There's loving MORE of the things?!"

Warping a thief or person with chest keys across the map to get at a precious, precious chest though? Now THAT'S fair game. I generally don't get as much use out of warp/rescue though, simply because of my style of a slow march of death across the map, obliterating everything in my path.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Starsnostars posted:

I really like Lorenz, the discrepancy between how odd he looks, especially pre-time skip and his arrogance is funny but I like how he grows in all his supports and benefits from spending time with the commoners in the cast. The friendship between him and Ferdinand as they bond over their similar interests and views in their supports is nice too.

As an actual unit he has been my worst cavalry unit in every playthrough where I've used him but I forgive him.

>Cavalry

Make him a mage instead. He's the tankiest mage I've ever used, and his strength is high enough that he can pick up a lance to stab a dude when their resistance is problematically high. Also, he learns Saggitae at Reason C, which is a really good spell.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Starsnostars posted:

When I go Golden Deer I'll probably make him a dark knight, I've got him a holy knight on my BE playthrough so he gets to fire the occasional Saggitae off. There was a point in the mid to early game where he could one shot most things with frozen lance but eventually he just couldn't keep up with the enemy stats.

Honestly, Lorenz is strongly destined for Dark Knight. Just look at the three skills he has Strengths in: Lances, Reason, Riding. What three skills do you need for Dark Knight again? Worth noting though, is that his unmodified strength and magic growths are the same; though high defense is more common than high resistance, so even with that in mind, he'll likely be doing more damage with magic than he was with lances.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
So, I'm currently in a D&D campaign that the DM has based heavily off of various Fire Emblem stuff. Plot points and character referencing a whole bunch of games in the series.

I am playing an Avariel (See: Winged Elf) Bard... basically, I'm Not!Reyson, and we're currently heading into the Not!Serenes Forest to stop Not!Walhart and his army of orcs from rampaging through it to find an artifact we don't want him finding. My character is *not happy*. But it's starting to occur to me that, despite the fact that I'm usually relegated to being the party healer (our party consists of a fighter, two rogues, me, and we just added a Wizard this session)... when I can go on the offensive, my character becomes less Reyson, and more like Tharja or Henry. Thanks to my disabling shenanigans, only one out of an encounter of six orcs got a turn at all. And I responded by immediately hitting him with Hideous Laughter.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
So, I'm finally poking at this again, to continue my first run through, in Golden Deer Route.

Just killed Edelgard, and a few comments.

1) Respect for Hubert, for recognizing the possibility that he and Edelgard might lose to the Alliance, however unlikely he thought it was, and planning for it. Especially for having enough respect for them to entrust the defeat of the Slitherers to them should the actually beat Edelgard.

2) Dedue's alive! And I'll probably never see him again. (I kinda forgot to KILL EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM at Gronder Field. All the Empire units died, but when I turned my attention on Dimitri's army, the idea of him actually getting to do something was scary, so I went to take him out, forgetting that would end the battle with half the Kingdom units still alive. Felix and Sylvain were the only other named Kingdom units I killed. (I recruited Ingrid.)

3) Yay, Rhea's back! NOW TALK, WOMAN. GIVE ME MY LOREDUMP.

4) Perhaps it's the Dynasty Warriors fan in me, but I was promised insane screwy schemes out of Claude, and honestly, all I've gotten is well thought-out strategies, and the occasional major gamble that paid off. And really, I love it. Having a genuine goddamn strategist as my semi-Main Character is really neat.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Dec 24, 2019

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
So, a question for my Black Eagles Empire run. I'd like to recruit Lysithea, but I'd like to do so via the Post-timeskip option, because while I'm going for *some* recruitments in my first set of runs, I'm trying to keep it to a minimum, as I like encountering the other students as enemies, just to see what became of them when they don't follow Byleth.

So, my thought is, I don't want to deal with turning down random requests to join me (as I specifically want to do her post-timeskip recruitment, which I think is only available if you haven't recruited her yet?), so I shouldn't get her B Support (I'm in NG+ after a Golden Deer run)... but will I still need her recruitment requirements (Faith rank in particular I might not have that high by then)? Wondering what my best option here is outside of just cranking up my faith skill.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Unless you had Lysithea on a past run and can buy her skills back you really should get her before the timeskip, as part of the fixed stat line she has as a part 2 recruit is E rank faith, which means it’s practically impossible for her to access gremory, even though she really benefits from it.

I'm coming off a Golden Deer run in NewGame+. I can buy her skills back if need be. And I'll be honest, I don't even really plan to use her, I mostly want her for plot because I know about certain things she has in common with Edelgard.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Cythereal posted:

I'm tentatively pairing him with Manuela for my second, current game, and they had me at their first support.

Edit: My God, Hilda. I'm now having her go towards Swordmaster, and her growths... I think I've created a monster.

Edit Again: Lordy. People were not loving kidding about Lysithea. Girl hits like a freight train carrying other freight trains in back.

Here's the BIG thing about Lysithea. If you're doing Golden Deer, or can recruit her early and get her Reason skill up fast enough, it's not implausible for her to reach B-level reason in time for your first encounter with the Death Knight.

Lysithea learns Dark Spikes at B-rank Reason. Dark Spikes deals effective damage to mounted units.

Lysithea is the Death Knight's One Fear.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Lorenz has his own issues, but he genuinely means well with his noble act and takes the responsibilities that come with the position seriously, and his later supports show he really does have a talent for helping people past their own self-esteem issues, or self-perceived failings. Even if he has to occasionally drag them kicking and screaming to do so.

He's a poncy prick, but he really does mean well.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 25, 2020

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Zore posted:

Lorenz is a sheltered kid who's legitimately never had to reckon with any of it until he goes to Gareg Mach. You can tell from a bunch of his supports that he just fundamentally doesn't understand how the world works, the idea people aren't interested in him because he's an important noble is just totally anathema to his upbringing and most of his supports are about people disabusing him of that.

True. I do genuinely like how persistent he is once he recognizes that someone has an issue of some sort that he *is* genuinely capable of helping with, though. Whether it be convincing Marianne that he's not just blustering when he calls her beautiful, or absolutely refusing to let Ignatz give up his passion for art just to be a Knight.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I started with Verdant Wind, and am starting into part 2 of Crimson Flower now. Gonna go Azure Moon next then Silver Snow last.

I uhh, kinda feel sorry for Pallardo in the Crimson Flower version of Anna's paralogue...

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I very much enjoyed Verdant Wind for Claude's stategic plotting, and mystery-diving. He's determined to learn the truth behind Fodlan's history, and in the end his is the route where you learn more than any other about the real origin of so much of Fodlan's troubles.

Also, y'know, the only route where the track goes from Dubstep straight to opera.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
The thing about Claude is that from a skillset perspective, he works best when he's working behind the scenes, working from the shadows. He's a strategist and schemer, so in a war scenario, he needs to be able to duck out of the spotlight from time to time to set his plans in motion, which is harder to do when the focus is primarily on him.

Also, his ambitions and personal motivations go beyond the scope of Fodlan, which is kind of too big to tackle in this particular game, since the plot is about Edelgard and her war. His goals in this conflict aren't unique to himself; they fall in line with basically everybody that's not Empire: I don't want to die, I don't want Edelgard to conquer everything, so she needs to be stopped. Plus, he also wants to find Rhea because he wants to get some friggin' answers out of her about these mysteries that have been driving him up the wall!

His Almyran past doesn't provide much influence in his stance on the war beyond him being newer to Fodlan's mythology and history and thus more eager to uncover the truth about it, as he hasn't been raised from childhood to just accept it. Also, his "open Fodlan to the world and talk to the CEO of Racism" goals aren't ones that can be directly accomplished during the war; those are post-war ambitions.

So yeah, with the character they presented, there's not much of a way to get a story out of it that's overly distinct from the Church Route, because he naturally settles into a supporting position to Byleth, who serves as the big Figurehead and Commander, being the one Rhea leaves in charge of the Church's operations, and the one person Claude trusts to really lead the battle. From there, he can work behind the scenes, research the history and mythology that he's determined to explain, and work on strategies and plots to overcome obstacles and adversaries.

While Claude is absolutely a capable leader, his skillset means he serves well in a supporting role - and if you're playing his route, there's someone more suited than Claude to be playing the proper Leadership role in Byleth, who has the more direct motivation to lead the opposition to the Empire, and is better suited to being at the head of the army. Even Claude's choice of weapon and his advanced class denotes his preferred role - wielding a bow so that he can offer support from behind the front line rather than being front and center like Edelgard or Dimitri, and being a high-movement flying unit to allow him to respond to threats quickly and maneuver around the map quickly and strategically.

I have no idea what parts of that still deserve a spoilertag at this point, so I'll just say screw it and spoiler the whole thing.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Zane posted:

idk about any of this but i respect your overenthusiastic claude stance for its novelty if nothing else

Eh, once in a while some argument or point in my head I wanna make just *clicks* and then a wall of text like that happens.

The TL;DR is "Claude as not the main driving force of his route works because of who and what his character is."

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Look, all I'm gonna say about Dimitri is that someone made a Dimitri Voicepack for XCOM2 so now I'm having him Kill Every Last One Of Them with shotguns, miniguns, and occasionally swords, and stuff like that.

It's pretty fun.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Inu posted:

Lorenz grew on me a lot too. He's obsessed with nobility and his role as one, but I think what saves him from being a total self-centered douche is that he seems to genuinely believe in the ideals he preaches, and is willing to accept the duties along with the privlege. I felt the same way about Ferdinand.

Yeah, Lorenz is the guy who you have to see his supports through to the end to see the merits. The problem is, while he absolutely does believe in the ideals he preaches and genuinely means well, his attitude about it and the general demeanor he feels obligated to present makes him come off as... well, you know.

He comes across as your standard poncy arrogant rear end in a top hat noble until you realize "oh poo poo, this guy actually walks the talk about using his power to help the people."

And honestly, he has a pretty good talent for helping people get over their self-doubt issues, and bringing out their hidden talents; his supports with Marianne and Ignatz are my favorites. Especially Ignatz, simply because while Ignatz is all "Aww, I have to choose between my painting hobby and being a knight, and I have to choose Knight..." and in comes Lorenz being all "gently caress YOU, YOU WILL DO BOTH, GOOD SIR." And then says he'll take Ignatz on as one of his knights, being a noble, to make sure it happens.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
As a character, I'm still not a fan of Hilda. "Afraid of disappointing people" does not excuse her insufferable, bordering-on-malicious laziness to me.

But as a unit, she's an unholy engine of destruction.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I will say this: Marianne is *always* a good recruitment candidate, if only because, and this is sort of an anti-spoiler if anything... she never appears in any capacity, and is not even mentioned post-timeskip if she is not recruited by the player.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Going to jump on the Lorenz train. A lot of his supports start out with him being an unlikable pompous shitwad, but a few of them are really good.

He has a talent for seeing peoples' potential, and once he sees them not living up to it, he resolves to drag that potential to the surface kicking and screaming if he has to - like when he sees Ignatz resigned to giving up his painting to focus on knighthood, Lorenz decides "Nope, you're gonna come be a Knight for me, and I'm going to make USE of that painting talent, too!"

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Lucas Archer posted:

Okay, four months into my Golden Deer run, and I have this to say - Lorenz is not the worst, but he's close. Ignatz needs to be protected. Lysithea is an absolute beast. Claude is way too laid back. Raphael gets no respect.

Lorenz is a pompous noble jerk, but he genuinely believes in what he preaches; he's not just about "I'm better than you"; he admittedly basically does, but he also firmly believes in the responsibility his position as Nobility places upon him, and genuinely wants to use the position and responsibility to help the "lower class" however he can, so as far as "nobles are dicks" goes, you can definitely do worse than Lorenz.

Ignatz and Marianne are both good examples of Lorenz having a talent for bringing out the best in people; with Marianne, he starts off by showing not just a tolerance for her aversion to conversation, but having an appreciation for her simply quiet presence, and then goes from there to being determined to convince her that she's better than she believes herself to be.

With Ignatz, it's like I said up above; he sees Ignatz prepared to give up painting in order to become a Knight, and decides "THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE" and decides to take Ignatz on as his Knight, being of a noble house and thus in a position to do so, with a resolution that "You will keep painting, good sir!"

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 15, 2020

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Doc Dee posted:

I paired him with Marianne on my last playthrough, can CONFIRM.

On my first playthrough, before I cared about crafting the supports and such, I accidentally got a B support between him and Manuela, and turns out he's a sensitive soul with a poet's heart.

Wouldn't let him get the A support though, that was MY WIFE.

I'm a fan of his supports with Ignatz, honestly. He has something of a knack for bringing out the best in people even if he has to drag it out kicking and screaming.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Sudden Javelin posted:

I've still not played Silver Snow though I have every intention to (though that's in the same pile of intention as "I should really dent my backlog instead of constantly playing Monster Hunter"). When I do, it will both be my first "recruit everybody" run, and also I'm intentionally using people I've never used i.e. Manuela, Hanneman, Anna.

I gather the Hilda recruitment window is really fuckin tight?

You have two weeks to recruit Hilda for Silver Snow, I believe.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Digital Osmosis posted:

Okay, question about Marianne: is it ever confirmed that she you know, actually can talk to animals? It'd make sense from her paralog, and it really seems like it, but I could also see her being lonely and too scared to talk to people and so just imagining the conversations.

IIRC, her support with Raphael strongly implies that she in fact cannot, and she's mostly making it up, but is also very skilled at interpreting some animals' wants and needs.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Zore posted:

Also she's been grafting her crest into people like the Slytherins do. Its why Jeralt has it for instance.

To be fair, the Jeralt thing wasn't human experimentation, from what I understand. That one's just a genuine case of "This dude saved my life and is dying for his bravery and dedication, I will repay this debt by saving him in return".

It's just, saving him included a blood transfusion, and that's literally how the crests are given naturally, it's a dragon empowering a human by empowering the human with their own blood. The crest is the dragon's own power carried in their blood. Transfer some of the blood, transfer some of the power.

The big difference between her doing it vs the Slytherins doing it, is that in this case the dragon is giving her blood willingly. The Slytherins are not only doing it without a willing dragon donor, they are explicitly trying to give a SECOND crest to people who already HAVE one. Which, as we all know because that's what we're told by both such characters, is very bad for the length of one's lifespan.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Cythereal posted:

Have you done his supports with Mercedes?

Sylvain understands perfectly well that he's an awful person and why.

Exactly. He knows drat well that he's a terrible person. In fact, he is actively CHOOSING to be an awful person, basically to spite all the people who put him on a pedestal for no other reason than his crest.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

He gets to be an rear end in a top hat to strangers because he is used to strangers being an rear end in a top hat to him.

Actually, that's the exact opposite of what I said.

He's an rear end in a top hat because he gets so much praise and put on a pedastal for something he had no influence over and did nothing to earn. People aren't assholes to him, even when he feels they should be. So he goes out of his way to be a terrible person, out of spite for that fact. It won't stop people praising him for having a crest, he knows that and hates it.

He doesn't want the praise, so he goes out of his way to be undeserving of it. And they keep heaping it on anyway. And of course, there's the whole issue of being completely unable to trust that any woman who shows interest is actually interested in him, rather than his crest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
The thing to remember about War Monk is that it only gets half the usual spellcasts of any given spell, just like the starting classes. So you don't really want to use it for anyone that would normally be a PRIMARY healer.

Make no mistake, War Monk is about punching first with some optional extra heals on the side.