Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I've been for the Golden Deer since day 1 because loving bow-lord. I'm going to try and nab Mercedes and Dorothea if I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Playing Golden Deer to start.

Lorentz sucks. His speed and defense are trash. He's going to get dropped hard for Cyril.

Ignatz is a mysterious monster. I'm on Chapter 5 I think. End of the 10th month. Somehow he excels with bows, swords and reason. He's the only student I've managed to put into 2 intermediate classes and next month he's going to unlock archer in case I need the extra range.

Claude is a loving monster, as is Lysithea.

If Raphael isn't punching things, you're doing it wrong.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

ROFL Octopus posted:

Has anyone used Grappler instead of “upgrading” to War Master.

One one hand War Master has better strength, Axefaire, and a substantial crit bonus.

On the other hand, Grappler has slightly better speed and Fierce Iron Fist you get for mastering the class looks ridiculously off the chain. Grappler also happens to be an Advanced foot class with 6 movement.

There's really no point to upgrading unless you want the crit bonus. You're never going to use axes anyway exept to throw them.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Harrow posted:

Yep. Every type of monster drops a different kind of material when you break their armor. Demonic beasts drop Umbral Steel, giant wolves drop Wootz Steel, and giant birds drop Mythril. Those are the most common ones. There's also (possible spoiler?) Agarthium, which comes from the robotic enemies you occasionally encounter in battles with Those Who Slither in the Dark.

You also get the spoilered bit from the snakes in the desert.

And there's venom stone if you really want to poison enemies. I've only ever saw it drop in Marianne's Paralogue.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Where are people getting that Claude isn't Almyran Royalty?

He's literally the son of Nader, the Almyran king.

Hell, his paired ending with Lorenz has him abdicating rule of the Alliance and returning years later as the King of Almyra to negotiate a peace treaty.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Junpei Hyde posted:

nader isnt the king hes just a general

I had him pegged as king. Given the little we know, it wouldn't surprise me if he was both.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Harrow posted:

There was a brief flash of people believing that Nader is Claude's father and Judith his mother but there's nothing in the game to support that. It's clear they're both mentor figures though.

There's pretty strong evidence for the former, but the latter is way out of left field.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Real talk, what's the evidence? Maybe I was just asleep during GD...

Honestly?

I'm probably remembering things wrong and going off first impressions. Deer was 250 hours ago for me.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

On my first blind run, Marianne unlocked Gremory, Dark Knight and Holy Knight.

She loving owns.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Endorph posted:

i like how many people wokely make the entire conversation about men when bernie's 100% meant to be relatable to girls that like anime. she literally writes fanfiction, come on.
Bernie's supports remind me too much of my own abuse as a child and I find them deeply uncomfortable to read. They made her a very real and relatable character.

Still glad she's in the game.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

indigi posted:

yo Ignatz fuckin sucks DICK

Wrong

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Conquest only became unfair towards the late game. 8, 9, 11, 12 and a few others absolutely are breathers compared to many others. Even Ninja Cave is only a bitch the first time through. Kitsune Lair, Eternal Stair and Ballistic Taco can gently caress right off though.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Assassin Ignatz with a Wo Dao+ and a Killer Bow wrecks everything that moves.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

The problem with axe girl Annette is that her strength is anemic and she doesn't gain enough speed to offset the more useful axes. I did Wyvern Annette with Bolt Axe and Crusher in my Blue Lions run and she was by far my slowest unit in end game. She also lacked defense and health so I ended up not using her much compared to Sylvain, Dedue and Seteth.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Flayn makes a perfectly fine Pegasus once you raise her sword and lance skills. She learns Frozen Lance and one of the magic based sword arts. Pair those with a Levin Sword/Killer Lance and she can dish out some respectable damage.

My favorite game is Fates: Conquest, and one of the reasons for that is that every character has a secondary class which is no less viable than their primary. Three Houses gives you these same insane builds to the extreme. Marianne can be a healer, a black mage, on a horse, flying or a scary sword girl and all are useful and useable for the whole game, just some builds are easier than others. And the same is true for every other unit.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Maid Effie is perfectly viable, especially if you grab Wary Fighter. It's a gimmick build, and a fun one and it works.

Kind of like Swordmaster Marianne. Her best class is Gremory just like every female mage but she works fine as a Swordmaster or Pegasus or even a Paladin. The physical classes aren't as strong, but outside of Maddening she'll be able to contribute through endgame.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Marianne’s best class is Holy Knight, actually. It may be statistically worse than Gremory (most classes are), but she gets to ride a horse, and will politely ask you to train her as one once you get to the appropriate levels.

My first run was a blind Golden Deer run. Marianne was a Holy Knight, Dark Knight and Gremory. She performed best as a Dark Knight but Holy just looked better on her.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I like Claude.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

VC1 and 4 are very good games. 4 has more QoL improvements but the gameplay is 95% the same between them and more properties should do fantasy WWII.

VC3 is Japan only but there are fan translations floating around and it's a PSP game.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Thinking of doing a new Golden Deer run. It was my first run so Claude is the only Lord without maxed supports. Thinking about Dancer Lorenz, Dark Mage Ignatz, Mortal Savant Lysithia and Pegasus Marianne. Could be fun times.

I'm really leaning into Hard Classic, no Renown or Divine Pulse just to see how well I do.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

The good thing about Lord is all three lords have strengths in Swords and Reason so it's easy to qualify for if you want to.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Best argument for Holy Knight is a mobile healer and that's only good if they don't have Physic.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Epi Lepi posted:

Doesn't terrain resistance also make it so your move is not reduced by like sand and trees or is that a different ability?

Does Assassin have Terrain Resistance? Because the Assassin always has full move.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Rimusutera posted:

Assassin has thief move built in. Not terrain res.

They should have made that a named skill.

As for Holy Knights, I've used one in every run. My favorite is still Marianne from my first run who was a Holy Knight, a Dark Knight and a Gremory but stayed HK for endgame because it looked cool. Because my criteria for a good class in FE is if it looks good.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I enjoyed my time with 3 Houses. I'm sure I'll play it again but I put over 200 hours into it and haven't done the DLC or Silver Snow yet but right now I'm burnt out on it.

I vastly prefer the class system in Fates. Everyone gets 2 classes and you can marry someone and be besties with someone to get 2 more. Also I can play the game in less than a dozen hours giving me much more replay value.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

The gender locks are the worse.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

The Deer turn out great if you base their final class around their hidden talents. So Swordmaster Lysithea, Falcon Marianne, Mage Ignatz ect.

Lorenz actually performs decently whether as a mage or a fighter but he's poo poo in mixed classes. Ignatz has heavier offensive magics but usually has the speed to double with them.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Lysithea makes a great Swordmaster even without pumping her magic. She can grab the Thunderbrand right away and once her rank gets up she can use a Killer and Levin sword and her Soulblade art combined with effective weapons delete any difficult opponents.

Marianne also makes a great Paladin/Falcon Knight with Soulblade and Frozen Lance.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Bearhugg posted:

Great advice. With COVID, Three Houses might warrant another playthrough. :)

Give it a shot. The Deer are probably the most versatile class so they're easy to mess with. I mean, work on getting Lysithea a bow rank and give her a Magic Bow + as an Assassin and she'd probably wreck everything. If you have the DLC classes that opens up even more options.

Also if you haven't done it, I think Ferdinand and Linhardt share Paralogues with 2 of the Deer students. I keep meaning to get to these things myself but I'm burnt out on 3 Houses.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Holy Knight is the only correct choice.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Bongo Bill posted:

I interpreted that as her identifying with the Seiros illustration.

Same really. She is the straightest woman in Fodlan but she also wants women to be presented as more than the traditional nurturing figures. I think it's just a mess because the setting wants to have the historical misogynistic medieval view of women need to be properly married and women can be strong martial figures and those 2 things simply don't work together. Especially since Ingrid's whole deal is she's expected to marry up to increase the wealth and prestige of her family and she doesn't want to do that because she's still in mourning for Glenn.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

night slime posted:

Is there a non-spoiler explanation why Jeritza was added like that, as DLC? Seems weird, like the game was behind schedule.

The game was behind schedule, in part because of firing Christina Vee shortly before release.

Edit: On second thought, the voice direction probably had nothing to do with it but it seems like it was known on release the game was rushed though I couldn't say why now.

Bad Video Games fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Dec 8, 2020

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

ACAB

Congrats. ;)

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

nrook posted:

We need a "conquest hard" difficulty that gives every enemy seal strength, life + death and hex staves

Actually yes.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

What season is celebrated by wearing pantyhose sleeves and a bare chest?

Valentine's Day is all about the sex.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Plegia is all about the sex too. Have you seen how Henry and Tharja dress?

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I love how 2 years later this thread still looks like a CIA document.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Alcohol. The classic.

I can confirm it will make you hate yourself.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Eimi posted:

I definitely think it's missing a difficulty between hard and maddening and would be the better for it. Maddening just has some difficulty curves (that are totally surmountable mind you) that just require playing in a way I don't think is that cool or fun.

That's true of every game with a Lunatic or similar mode though. The only one I enjoy playing is Lunatic Birthright because it avoids many of the pitfalls of other Lunatic modes, but even then it's still piss easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Prurient Squid posted:

Who created Aymr, the Crest Weapon that requires a Crest of Seiros to wield? The implications are uncomfortable.

Those who slither, created specifically for Edelgard to wage war.