Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
So like a lot of people I’ve been going a little crazy in quarantine and to kill some time I rewatched the masterpiece that was Big Brother All-Stars. Truly some of the most brilliant gameplay in the history of any of these reality game shows.

Like a total dumbass I thought “Hmmmm I’m a few seasons behind on Big Brother, maybe I should catch up?”. I skimmed through the second half of season 18 to confirm that I did watch it, then started on season 19.

Oh boy do I have feelings about season 19.

I hated every single moment of it for 37.95 episodes but AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA OH MY GOD THAT ENDING.

Paul is loving awful at this game and I spent the entire season hating him. Production handing him a free MONTH at the start of a game where he was the only vet against a bunch of tomato cans was absurd. It felt like watching Coach/Boston Rob as returning players on two of the worst seasons in Survivor history, except with an even bigger production thumb on the scale.

I had totally resigned myself to that dipshit winning when one of the dumbest players in the history of Big Brother took him to the final two...

...and the jury was so freaking bitter they awarded the win to that knucklehead. :stare:

From a pure gameplay perspective that entire jury should be pretty embarrassed, but drat it was satisfying watching the production golden boy go down in flames at the last possible second. Even after bringing in Dr Will to try and talk them into not being bitter. Hilarious.

Now dear god I hope I never have to see Paul on my TV screen again. gently caress that clown and his Dollar Store Evil Dick impression.

An hour ago I was convinced I’d just skip S20 and S21, but now... I’m kinda tempted to at least start S20. Maybe I’ll queue up the premiere and see how it goes...

If anyone has any fun feeds-stories from S19 I’d love to hear them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

bbf2 posted:

20 is a huge step up, probably the best post-14 season. 21 is terrible.

I really liked the first three episodes!

The robot owns.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Learned that one the hard way. What an awful cast. The saddest collection of tomato cans ever assembled... and STILL not lame enough to get Paul a win. Ha.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I’d agree with that. Christmas had a few good moments and could have been good on a season where they weren’t feeding newbies to a vet to try and manufacture a win.

S20 is so much better already. Just started week three and you can really see how much damage turning the game into The Paul Show did.

RIP Swaggy C You will be missed.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I just finished episode 24 of season 20 and good god I hope this turns around quick because this is one of the dumbest casts I’ve ever seen. :stare:

These people are loving morons. Every last one of them. Holy poo poo they’re all so bad at this. I’m shocked Faysal can dress himself and cross the street without adult supervision.

This season makes me long for the high-minded intellectual gameplay of Jesse Godderz and Rachel Reilly.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Welp. Just finished BB20 and hooooooooooooly poo poo that sucked. I can only imagine how monstrously awful BB21 must have been for that to look good by comparison.

In a weird roundabout way I’m kind of grateful to SweetJahasus posting it was good cause it kept me inventing all these weird improbable fantasy scenarios where it could have been fun like “What if Scotty comes back and turns into the second coming of Dan Gheesling?” or “What if Sam just kind of delightfully bumbles her way to the end and wins?”.

I’ll spoiler tag the rest just incase someone decides to slog through this mess and doesn’t want to know too many details.

Instead the whole thing was this torturous self-pagonging accompanied by soooooooooo many unjustifiably smug players. I was dying of cringe the whole way as they did stupid unnecessary poo poo then shouted in the DR about what a brilliant huge move it was. (JC was the king of this) The DR speeches after voting out Scotty the second time being a “huge move” were laughable.

I think Faysal needs to go down in history as one of the absolute dumbest players in the history of any of these games. The pagonging was underway, but he pretty much locked it in. I don’t particularly care what justifications he’s come up with after the show, he’s an insufferable dolt and I hope I never see him on my TV again.

Sam was by far the big star of the season and the only one I’d 100% love to see come back and play again. Not a gameplayer by any stretch, but the best seasons always have a couple characters mixed in like Chicken George in All-Stars and she’d be at the top of my list for that spot.

One of the bizarre fantasy storylines I kept turning to trying to make sense of anyone thinking S20 was actually good was the possibility that at some point Brett would live up to his talk. drat did that turn out to be a colossal disappointment. I don’t mind the cocky diary rooms if he’s actually doing stuff to back it up, but he was roughly as effective as the aforementioned Chicken George in All-Stars.

Oh, mildly amusing that Tyler got jacked in the end. But Kaycee played a decent enough game, it’s nowhere near the hilarious robbery S19 was.

Welp. I think I’m gonna rewatch a season I *know* is good and has a happy ending after surviving S19 and S20 back to back. Maybe BB13.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Deceptive posted:

Sam kept trying to quit but production kept convincing her to stay. Also she was actually losing her mind in there and should never be on again for her own mental health.

Brett actually wasn't playing that poorly and if the right comps went his way he could have been the winner. He was probably the second or third best player of the season.

That’s really sad to hear about Sam and I definitely wouldn’t want her to go back if it was that rough. It was fun to see her childlike joy at the experience, but I could imagine her losing her mind in the house.

Brett probably was the third best player of the season, but that’s a condemnation of the quality of play more than anything positive about Brett.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

STAC Goat posted:

BB20 sucked. And sadly it inspired BB21. Everyone in BB20 wanted to be Paul and everyone in BB21 wanted to be Tyler or Brett.

A good description of BB20 and precisely what I’d be afraid of for BB21. Fortunately I’m taking a break and going back to happier times with BB13. The greatest totally-not-assisted-by-production-whatsoever victory in the history of reality TV. (Yaaaaaaaaay)

After watching BB19 I got a little queasy remembering how most recruits only see the season before. Holy poo poo would that give you a bad idea of how to play the game.

On the bright side:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Started on rewatching BB13 and this season is just pure joy.

The greatest of all time. :swoon:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

STAC Goat posted:

I'll be honest I kinda want to see you watch 21 just so we can all hate it again vicariously through you.

But don't. Its very, very bad. And racist. And misogynist. And just plain mean. Except for Ovi and Nicole. They were rays of light in a terrible, terrible storm.

I probably will end up watching it, but BB13 is proving to be a MUCH needed palate cleanser.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
So I was poking around CBS All-Access and made the enormous mistake of watching Big Brother Over The Top instead of BB21. Holy poo poo that was awful. I can’t even imagine how BB21 could be worse than this dumpster fire. The premise was really interesting but inserting a returning player into that was incredibly stupid, and the whole thing felt Grodnered to death.

BB seems to have settled into a formula. I spend 99% of the season absolutely loathing the cast while everyone in the house does everything they can to prop up the one returning player...

...and then that obnoxious jackass gets owned in the finale.

I don’t like it one bit. It’s not fun to watch. It’s excruciating watching the returnees spend the whole season being insufferably smug and awful both inside the DR and the house. I guess it’s better than seeing the worst person on the season win, but I don’t want to watch it anymore.

I don’t think I can do BB21 for a while. I’ve slogged through way way waaaaaaaaay too much awful television this month. Maybe I’ll try BB21 in a couple weeks or something. I don’t think there’s enough of a palate cleanser season in the history of BB after this garbage.

...but I’m gonna try. It’s time to bring out the biggest gun in the armory: BB10.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

STAC Goat posted:

Well the good news is BB21 has no returning players.

The bad news is it has quite possibly the most insufferably smug and awful cast in BB history.

So it’s season six all over again?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
oof, that sounds rough. I’m not sure I’d dig awful people bullying the hell out of decent people. Big Brother 11 is one of my least favorite seasons in part because of the meathead guy bullying and harassing the hell out of that nerdy guy.

Welp. I’ll probably end up watching BB21 eventually but for now I’m catching up on Survivor and then it’s time for some Dan Gheesling magic.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Nah, BB6 was terrible. The Sovereign Six were exposed as fraudulent whiny children on BB7, and were only likeable sitting next to (and losing horribly to) the most obnoxious alliance in the history of reality television: The Friendship/Nerd Herd.

I guess the best positive spin you could put on BB6 was that it set up a bunch of enormously hateable tomato cans for Dr Will to knock down in BB7. Exposing Kaysar and James as a total joke was particularly sweet.

BB9 was awful too, but BB6 will forever be the standard by which awful seasons of reality television will be judged.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
You nailed my big issue with BB6 STAC, on any other season the Sovereign Six would be considered villains, and rightly so. It’s only the world-class unlikability of The Friendship that got them a pass.

They were astoundingly smug for an alliance so poor at playing the game. Janelle was the closest to competent in the whole alliance and her ceiling is “dollar store knockoff Rachel Reilly”.

Their sole saving grace was how much fun it was watching them get utterly demolished the following year. Probably the most overrated alliance in the history of BB or Survivor.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

SweetJahasus posted:

My wife and I have been re-watching BB14 to fill the summer BB void and man this season holds up so well. I have to say it's the last "great" season. If you need to fill a BB sized hole in your heart I suggest rolling thru BB14 again.

I may have to do just that. The finale was so heartbreaking at the time I haven’t had it in me to go back.

I get why the jury voted the way they did. But I can’t help feeling like if the vote had gone the other way it’s instantly the greatest season of either Big Brother or Survivor. Sadly it’ll have to remain in the alternate universe where Parvati won HvV.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Not gonna lie, if either Rachel or Jessie are back I’m buying the feeds and watching every single episode.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
That’s a pretty good list! I’d like to find a way to work Danielle Reyes in but I think she’s said she has no interest in playing again.

Of course I should probably brace for a more realistic scenario like:

Men:
1. Jason Roy
2. Paul
3. Jeff Schroeder
4. Paul again
5. Frankie Grande
6. Matt McDonald from BB9
7. Paul a third time
8. Cody Nickson

Women:
1. Maggie
2. Ivette
3. Kryssie
4. Rockstar
5. Jessica Graf
6-8. Random women who said racist stuff on the show

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Yeah I’m all for shooting for the moon with dream casting like that.

I just wanted to cobble together the most disappointing cast I could think of in five minutes so that when reality lands somewhere in the middle it’s less disappointing.

As long as Mr Pectacular and Queen Rachel are back the rest is just details to me.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

STAC Goat posted:

Boogie just got arrested for threatening to kill Dr. Will and his family, so he deserves a spot on your Low Expectations Cast.

Yikes. That’s uh... not cool.

He’s long been a scumbag, but that’s a new level.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Teek posted:

Yeah, the only person I'm excited for on there is Hayden.

Same. That list looks awful.

I really don’t want to endure Janelle and Danielle Donato all season. Probably the two most overrated players in BB history.

Maybe they’ll do some sort of America’s Player deal where Dr Will and Evel Dick get to tell them what to do. I guess that’d mean Brendon would end up in the house with Rachel as his puppetmistress since she’s the brains of the operation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Yeah Christmas is a really good choice. I’m totally on board with that one.