Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

I was thinking like "Jason" gets to sneak in through the secret doors and poo poo and "kill" someone if he catches them off guard. Then they're "dead" and like can't tell anyone who killed them and if "Jason" manages to kill everyone he gets back in but if someone kills him they get some power or...

I don't know. I just got done watching every Friday the 13th movie in May. My mind is in a weird place.

This would be the greatest twist in Big Brother history.

EDIT: Removed a spoiler! (I got confused by the threads too vvvv)

mancalamania fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jun 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Classic Big Brother to tease us about how the past 2 hours have been amazing even though the feeds were off. You'd think that when the players are excitedly strategizing live in real time behind Julie they might be willing to go off script and give us a minute or so of that with the audio, but nope! Gotta watch Christie and Tommy wash off some paint to silly music...

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
The one week of voting is kind of weird. Anyone else think they planned to make it this week and then realized at the last minute that the 3rd nominee wouldn't mesh with the Diamond Veto?

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Presumably whoever wins HoH next week is also exempt in addition to this week's evictee. So we're voting between 11 people for 3 spots when only 9 of them are actually eligible but we don't know which 9 but we can probably narrow it down to 10 by Saturday night. And the show is purposefully promoting the confusion of whether to vote for someone you like or hate. It's quite a weird vote!

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
I also think there's a positive feedback loop of bad production decisions leading to conservative gameplay, and then new players try to replicate the conservative gameplay they just saw last season leading to more bad production decisions to try to inject some life into the show which only just encourages even more conservative gameplay.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
I always thought it was sort of a copout that when they moved the Tuesday show to Wednesday they didn't spread out the Friday-Monday rush a little bit. It's always a bit of a bummer when you follow feeds and the week is basically decided by Saturday afternoon.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
The 1-2 punch of Foutte getting screwed by the Hacker twist followed immediately by Fessy targeting Scottie really sucked the life out of BB20 which went from one of my favorite US seasons to one of my least favorite in record time.

This season is trending in the opposite direction but unfortunately it's much better for a BB season to trend downwards than upwards because (1) most of the likeable people are gone and the few that are left don't have much power and are really just at the mercy of the unlikeable people still hating each other and (2) the endgame of BB is not very interesting because it's so comp dependent and it's hard to plan very far ahead and makes the strategy seems kind of random and pointless. It sort of reminds me of BB18 which everyone said picked up around the same point but I never fully got into.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
I think this season is pretty bad but I don't think it's the worst ever or anything (although it might have been if it weren't for Day 44). I'm at least sticking it though to the end which is more than I can say for BB16 or BBCAN7.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
I like Derrick more than Jackson, but I like Cliff and Nicole way more than I liked anyone on BB16 after Donny and Nicole left.

If nothing else, this season has a roughly 40% chance of a Cliff or Nicole win which would be a pretty cathartic ending and might even bump the season to like mid-tier.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Ovi rules and when they inevitably bring back vets next season it better be the three Camp Comebackers (hell, you could even bring back Cliff and do all four).

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Regarding BB20 I think the first 2/3rds was some of the best stuff the modern US show produced, but the last 1/3rd was some of the worst. I think 17 is still probably the overall best modern US season.

If you want some BB to fill the quarantine, definitely try to track down BBCan. I've only seen fully seen seasons 2-6 but pretty much all five of those were better than any modern US season. I've heard good-ish things about 1. On the other hand, what I saw of 7 was absolutely awful (I stopped like ~40% of the way through), but I guess every production earns at least one miss.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

No, bbf2 is right. I meant BB9. BB9 is a toxic poo poo show with like nothing redeeming I can think of.

I liked BB6 the one time I watched it. I mean, I see the arguments against it and I don’t know that I’d want to watch it again. There’s a poo poo load of toxic behavior from both sides. Janelle, James, and Howie are deeply flawed “heroes” that would be villains on near any other season. I love Kaysar but he obviously let his ego get ahead of his gameplay. But like it has a constant back and forth, lots of twists and turns, and a ton of assholes eating poo poo. I mean, again, I get why Janelle is a less than ideal protagonist and she’d be a huge villain 4 out of 5 times. But that did happen to be the fifth time it worked, at least for me. At least one time. And I can still go back and rewatch the episode where Kaysar flips the house.

I think it’s a little silly to say Sov 6 lost horribly to Friendship. I mean Janelle made F3. But BB stops being much of a game past like F6.

My problem with BB6 is that it’s left this legacy where BB fans are forever wanting a deeply divided house and that poo poo just doesn’t work. BB6 was a perfect storm of power flips and betrayals driven in large part by two comp beasts on the smaller side. Most of the time that house war plays much less interesting and you get poo poo like Level 6 vs Foutte. The game is much more interesting when it’s more fluid. But bb fans rather root for a team than see good gameplay because they’re all holding onto how much they liked BB6. But like it’s only a divided house until one side gets the numbers and everyone folds. And that always happens.

And of course BB has done stupid poo poo like the Battle of the Block and the Hacker that just encourage sticking with the numbers.

I actually think BB20 was a nice illustration that "divided house" seasons DO work, it's just the balance is extremely delicate and once one side pics up momentum things start to snowball. We got through a solid 60% of BB20 with Foutte and Level 6 roughly alternating power and it was awesome, it only started to suck in the last few weeks when Foutte started dying a death by a thousand mostly self-inflicted wounds (in particular the 1-2 punch of Rockstar accidentally giving Tyler the veto followed by Fessy's HoH mess was almost impossible to recover from).

The alternate universe where Tyler loses that veto and is evicted at Final 9 or whatever and Level 6 crumbles and Fessy uses his subsequent HoH to target Kaycee and Angela could have produced a really exciting BB20 endgame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Anyone watching the new AU Big Brother? It's a reboot with the US/CAN format, right? I figured the BB community would be all over this and talking it up as much as BBCan but I've barely heard a peep about it. I'm guessing that I should take that as a sign that it's no good?