Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

STAC Goat posted:

For sure. Its an inherent issue of the fact that CBS casts a handful of people for "diversity" but still casts predominantly young, pretty, privileged, white casts. Somewhere in an alternate dimension nearly identical to ours Big Brother casts 12 persons of color every season and they seem to always target the 4 white people who ride horses early because they "just don't fit in."

There was a good twitter thread on the idea from a member of the recent season of Survivor who dealt with the same kind of casual racism in her season (according to her one player repeatedly used the n word casually and only one person spoke up about it or to her).

CBS don't need to cast more diverse people, they need to do a better job selecting their diverse candidates, knowing that they will have a more difficult battle ahead. The diversity picks need to be more competent and likeable than the average contestant, which I don't think I've seen in Big Brother (if anything, they are usually below average). I've only recently started watching Survivor, but Wendell was a great example of what BB needs - good social game, very competent in challenges, and good mind for the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, I'm not sure what David did that would indicate he was "below average" in competence or likability. Kemi at least made an obvious mistake of not talking to Jackson but that doesn't really explain why Jack was so upset that she dare suggest names to his HOH. And ultimately we're going to be biased judging the competency of players who left the house early because all we saw were their initial mistakes. Dan Gheesling played poorly the first few weeks of his BB career and is remembered as one of the greatest players of all time. We have no idea what kind of played David would have been.

But I think the point is that any time you put 2 black people into a cast with 12-18 white people you're putting them at an inherent sociological disadvantage. So its no real surprise that consistently people of color get targeted early for "not fitting in" or for social clashes and folks like Aaryn or Jackson take a lead role in targeting and ostracizing them while a bunch of other white people just kind of go along to get along around them.

We barely saw David, but in the short time we did, he made a few big mistakes. Why would you weakly throw your hat in the ring for the counselor position, when he clearly had no strategy to win (if he had a really big personality like Swaggy, I could see the rationale in nominating yourself). Then when he is confronted by the guy in power, instead of lying and playing down his concerns and pretending he wants to work together when he makes it back in the house, he comes across like he would be a huge threat. The only other person to make such a big error early was Kemi by not talking to the guy in power, which is pretty much the cause of a first week nomination in most seasons. I agree that it can be difficult for 2 black houseguests to integrate with 12-14 white houseguests who will naturally gravitate towards each other, but I feel CBS does a particularly bad job with their casting. When was the last time they cast a black houseguest who really excelled in either competitions, strategy, or social game? Maybe Bayleigh would have been a good contestant in a season without Swaggy.

As for Ovi, he was a complete idiot this week (and not just because we have access to information he doesn't). He hears whispers about an 8 person alliance - which means there is an 8 person alliance, and if this is the first he is hearing about it, he is clearly not in it. Now, if you suspect there is a big alliance being formed in the first few days, it probably includes the HoH, so the last person you should be going to with your concerns is the HoH. Speaking to Annalyse about it is fine, I wouldn't expect him to know who the other alliance members are just yet, but at the very least he should know the 2 people whispering and the HoH are 3 of the people who are not on his side.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
I don’t get how none of these assholes who came on the show to get famous can’t fake being a good person. There have been more than enough cautionary tales for you to know to act.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Well the twist was a flop, and the cast is awful. For the second year running they threw in these special powers where we will likely only see 1 of 3 used. Cliff may have been an underwhelming choice to come back, but they didn’t even give the returning HG immunity for a week, which would have likely resulted in the returnee being voted straight back out the next week (if H8tful didn’t choose this week to implode).

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

^burtle posted:

Why in God’s name would Jess be your target this week? Good lord.

He has to know that just on the numbers alone, their deal is dead. Does he really think Christie and Tommy would look at the house and decide to put up Cliff and Nicole, who have 1 competition win between them, over the showmance that has won just about everything for the last 3 weeks.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Teek posted:

Yeah, Jackson comes out of this looking like a boss. There’s no way he can sit at final 2.

Unless the veto is another puzzle, I don’t see how he doesn’t make it o final 2. He is probably winning veto, and parts 1 and 3 of the final HoH competition.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
The one thing I'd give Jackson a pass on is the banishment. It was literally just the 3 other people who challenged him, and the only person in the house who didn't campaign to save themselves.

Still a total scumbag, and I'm glad he got called out on his lovely behavior right before walking out to the confetti he was so looking forward to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Teek posted:

Yearly rumors of an All Stars season for 22:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/big-brother-eyes-second-stars-172348501.html

Rinse and repeat, but there seems like a lot of things which would align to make it more likely this year.

Easier to reel in returnees to stay in due Covid worries. 20 year anniversary. Could make it not as long due to the start being pushed back some.

Also, having an all star season means getting people who have developed some degree of media savvy and who will be less likely to say bigoted poo poo when they know cameras are running and they are mic’d up.