Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

MisterBibs posted:

Way back in the day, I remember fans of the Descent series being absolutely convinced that the future of first person shooters - which they dismissed/insulted by calling them groundpounders - was in games like Descent: full degrees of motion, joysticks as the main form of control, etc.

Naturally, I recall a sense of dying when... well, Descent had a gimmick but games like Quake et al had audiences. I just checked an old forum I used to visit (descentbb), and while it's not offline, the amount of users is paltry.

I think they produced a text documentary of the fall of the franchise (and how sad it is, etc) called something like Fahrenheit 360 or something.

The original Descent team from Volition "got the band back together" a couple years back and did a successful kickstarter for a new game (Overload) and successfully released it to good reviews last year, but sales were "disappointing" and the devs have mostly moved onto other stuff.

The Descent IP itself got licensed to some people off the Star Citizen forums who did a halfassed job of making a MP focused game (Descent: Underground) and appear to have shut down development since their website is gone, the publisher isn't saying anything and there have been some "had a great time working at this place but they stopped paying me so I quit" style posts on Glassdoor.

6DOF shooters are just kinda niche in general, back in the day they had a "wow" component to them in that they were also tech demos to show off how powerful new video cards were, and it's not exactly enough to entirely carry a game these days. Maybe once VR gets more market penetration they'll see a resurgence but that's just speculation on my part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

Speaking of, Megatokyo is still going and somehow has enough eyes on it to pull in $2k a month on Patreon.

FilthyImp posted:

MT is kind of what Penny Arcade would have been if the guys had a little worse work ethic and never hired a competent (basically magic) financial manager.

On that note Gamestop just announced they're killing ThinkGeek.

I'm picturing a "sad anime girl in snow" blanket and a case of Bawls energy drinks being symbolically burned at a anime convention, only for the shroud to fall away and reveal the lovecraftian visage of a Funko Pop, sending the mourners fleeing in terror.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is the Starship Troopers fandom. That single :mediocre: film somehow inspired a full 4 garbage-tier sequels, an anime, multiple games (including a tabletop RPG), and a lovely TV show. There was even a fan campaign to revive the lovely show after it died an ignoble death.

Because apparently there was a cult of people in the world that just couldn't get enough of these sick PS2 cutscene grade graphics:

I recall seeing a Starship Troopers fan wiki once where they went to great lengths to rationalize all the differences between the book, the movies, the TV show, and the tabletop games.

Though the OVA predated the movie by a decade (1988) and was a more straight faced adaption of the book. I vaguely recall that fansubs didn't show up until like 2008 because it was only ever released on Laserdisc and was a niche title even in Japan.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuYyVZ2qvzk

The armor also appeared earlier in the DAICON III fan animation, which is basically everything Japanese nerds thought was cool in 1981, because the design had already been used on the cover for a Japanese edition of the book.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQjruwkyOaU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
guess we can preemptively add The Something Awful Forums to the list.