Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Chapter 2: Open Book

quote:

“Ew.” Snow. There went my good day.

He looked surprised. “Don’t you like snow?”

“No. That means it’s too cold for rain.” Obviously.

This line really got me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

While I was aware of its existence I never read or watched any of this series and this thread is quite a revelation.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Somebody Awful posted:

At least there was no Cruuuuuuuuxshadows.

I imagine there was a lot more she was too ashamed to publicly admit to.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

quote:

”You don’t realize how incredibly breakable you are. I can never, never afford to lose any kind of control when I’m with you.”

Eddie must really blow a load.

Also Gatlinburg holy poo poo, that place is in the dictionary under the entry for “tourist trap.”

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

In Emmett’s time, Gatlinburg had just started to become a tourist destination when he was turned. It rapidly went from a small village to a tourist town within a few years.

That reminds me: go to Pigeon Forge. It’s worth it.

I grew up an hour from there, I have absorbed a lifetime dose of their perpetual Country Christmastime.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

So if Alice can see the future how does she miss this?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The search indexing is causing some really weird effects these last couple of days.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

loooool posted:

But his mercurial mood shifted on me. He pursed his lips, and his eyes were probing. He examined my face for a long moment.

Pot, kettle, etc.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Yeah I have never seen the movies nor read the books so this is a treat!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

So Bella was just going to saunter into a gang rape because it reminded her of a time Eddie saved her? :ok:

Midjack fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Aug 23, 2019

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Chapter 5: Cheater

quote:

Who cared if I was reckless and stupid? There was no reason to avoid recklessness, no reason why I shouldn’t get to be stupid.

https://youtu.be/SMhwddNQSWQ

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Because the Internet has loving everything!

And everything loving everything else.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The wolves seem like more fun than the vampires so far.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

I should be back to this on Monday.
:yeshaha:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

I think it’s differing opinions on a “flawed protagonist.” We generally want our viewpoint character to be complex and flawed but also likable and pleasant to follow. Bella is flawed, but in ways that make her aggravating to be around, and it’s hard to tell where character moments are supposed to be intentionally showing that complexity or if they’re Meyer not getting how relationships and emotions work.

I think you really hit it here. Compare Bella to the main character (or any character really) in Mr. Robot, where everyone is a terrible person in their own way but it’s still a compelling story.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Chapter 2: Evasion
by the end of the series Bella has complained about how bad she is 269 times.

:nice::nice:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

:wtc:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Rosalie is the main character of I Spit On Your Grave. Hmm. Yes, good choice there Steph.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Wow yeah so that just happened in a young adult bestseller.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Good summary of the book.

I had no exposure to any of this beyond knowing it was popular, involved vampires and werewolves, and seeing some of the Team Edward/Jacob merch in bookstores so this thread has been a real revelation for me. Thanks for doing this!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/robertarchives/status/1204504471486660608

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

What kind of loving description of Bella is that? "Divine?”

Big John Waters fan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divine_(performer)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Chapter 11: Legends

What was the knowledge they learned from her sacrifice? Carry a vial of blood and just throw it at the vampire first?

Hideo Kojima got your back

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

“Getting”

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Wow what the gently caress happened to two of the least unlikeable characters in the story? That is horrifyingly rapey by Jacob and her loving dad is cheering it on? gently caress.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

I just can't believe what the hell happened. Is Meyer trying to make all of the characters unlikable so Bella looks better and more reasonable by comparison when she acts like a bitch? Does she actually not think what Jacob did is that big of a deal?

That last question is worrisome and it is really hard not to infer author’s life experience from writing things like that and not pointing out how terrible they are.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUhKmVM-SY8

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I was halfway expecting the scent masking to involve the werewolves pissing all over town.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

69 cubic zirconia stones

:nice:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

:whitewater: :allbuttons: :d2a:
:dehumanize::pwn::pwn::pwn:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

what

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

the

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

gently caress

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

gently caress it, ride or die. I’m with you to the end, chitoryu12.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Yes, Victoria's vampiric power is super self-preservation.

A sense of self preservation is kind of a super power in this story!

chitoryu12 posted:

I am very sorry to say that Edward hurling Riley's arm at Victoria's face did not make it into the film.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTEVBcmPzk4

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

These fukkin’ books, geez.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Stuff like that makes me kind of interested in the werewolf story again but then I remember RAPE RAPE RAEP and yeah, naw.

I can’t really see the appeal either. While we can all joke about teenage girls’ psychology as much as we want, I have a hard time believing that so many people would either identify with one of these awful characters or at the very least want to see them succeed.

See you all in the Control thread!

Midjack fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 28, 2020

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

:owned:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

hyperhazard posted:

Jacob's reaction really comes out of nowhere. I think Meyer meant for it to be some sort of dramatic irony, since he ends up imprinting on Bella and Edward's kid :barf: , but it comes out of nowhere. Rough sex is by far the least dangerous thing Bella has done in the entire series.

(Spoilered in case anyone is blessedly unaware of how the love triangle resolves itself)

Ahahahahahahahahahhahaaaaaa delightful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Had worse from your vampire adventures, or worse from your regular life?

Yeah I mean up until now she's been written as so clumsy she shouldn't cross the street without wearing a helmet so I can't imagine she looks that much worse than usual here.