Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
These novels are honestly great, and it's sort of a shame I don't think I have the fortitude to make it through the films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
finally, the books are getting horny. 250,000 words in.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

Knowing how Meyer writes, that segment will be at least 200 of the 756 pages.

I cannot stress enough that every single one of these books is longer than Dune and has effectively nothing to show for it.

Sorry that true love doesn't adhere to brevity!

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
I was going to gush about how much of a chad Jacob was being and then this chapter happened.

Meyer is so good at creating these contrived situations to try to make up for the lack of real tension. The only value they add is the unintentional humor, I guess. Do we know if she was aware of the fandom shipping wars before she came up with the sleeping bag idea?

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
This series is so horrible in the best way. If nothing else, these books are the perfect reason why death of the author is such a terrible theory. Discerning what she was actually going for with so many of these scenes is so much fun.

My favorite part is actually all the unintentionally interesting or compelling parts of the setting that Meyer consistently abandons in favor of making the worst love triangle in history drag on.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

hyperhazard posted:

Jacob's reaction really comes out of nowhere. I think Meyer meant for it to be some sort of dramatic irony, since he ends up imprinting on Bella and Edward's kid :barf: , but it comes out of nowhere. Rough sex is by far the least dangerous thing Bella has done in the entire series.

(Spoilered in case anyone is blessedly unaware of how the love triangle resolves itself)

Jacob comes across worse and worse every time he shows up. It's like as soon as she needed to create this forced love triangle Jacob transformed into a super creepy weirdo. I guess it works with the werewolves having zero control over their rage...I guess...

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
that dream confused the hell out of me

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
somebody got me hosed up

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
Imprinting is such a bad concept to me because it's almost like an acknowledged, built in conceit of true love as we see in media all the time, but like it's been turned into an rpg mechanic. You now have the imprinted trait, you are obsessed with someone and will do anything for them. Why? Who knows.

But then, obviously, it's too one-sided, so Meyer has the recipient of the affection inevitably fall in love too. That is more like the actual trope, where they are just falling in love with their imprintee(?) because the person has such overwhelming feelings for them or because it's fated (by the storyteller), rather than actually involving any genuine affection or even an attraction to their personality traits or their character. Even though everyone is inevitably super sexy and good looking, they don't even fall in love out of physical desire either.

As usual, she doesn't effective follow through on the idea and it feels so strange to me that the person who doesn't have a paranormal compulsion to fall in love still, inevitably, falls in love with whoever imprinted on them. They just automatically become a couple, and both of them will forgive any fault in the other, struggle through any adversity for each other without actually having real reasons for both partners to have that kind of dedication to each other.

True love is pretty old hat at this point, but Twilight manages to suck even the slightest bit of compelling interest out of it, somehow!

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
was that chapter supposed to make me feel any particular feelings, other than being grossed out?

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
it really takes a lot of the teeth out of a good vampire story when the vampires don't prey on peoples

i blame joss whedon for this bullshit

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
only possible because of the power of twue wuv

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
this is beyond awful now

How is this the last book? It's worse than the first one.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
is there that much to talk about with regards to what she's done in the last 5 years or so in a discussion of the books? Obviously things like claiming dumbledore is actually gay are relevant but she made that claim like over a decade ago.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
I don’t see it as a typo.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

This chapter might be the worst yet, because it emphasizes all of Meyer's "I'm on the same level as a teenager writing her first fanfic" writing flaws. Very few of the characters have a distinct voice (many haven't even spoken yet) but she wants to have her badass crew of cool vampires show up, so she just has them all arrive simultaneously to sit around and glare dramatically. Because they're all interchangeable and introduced within a few pages, she sees an index as a legitimate tool to help readers understand the connections without realizing that a good series won't require that. I'll warn you now that they new cast will also subsume most of the attention the Cullens have had until Emmett, Rosalie, Esme, etc. are now the background characters.

As I'm currently reading the new Dresden Files book, Peace Talks, it actually shows how much better Jim Butcher was at keeping everyone and everything recognizable. Despite being 7 years since the last book and having only re-read the first two by now, the characters all feel sufficiently distinct that I can jump right back into the plot without wondering who anyone is or why they're here. A brand new character in the second chapter (Austri) is given a completely unique voice, purpose, and established relationship with Harry that formed between books that you will easily remember on his next appearance. As much as people in TBB like to lambaste the series, it's never bad and it shows how much Meyer's prose and storytelling fail to reach even the level of pulp urban fantasy.

Butcher's issues come from a few different angles, but there's no question he's a professional writer and really talented compared to, well...teenagers writing fanfics.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

Oh, Meyer's new fame and clout lets her actually reference music and other pop culture directly that she only hinted at previously. So the album Phil got her that she blasts in her ears at max volume to distract her from vampires being real, which Edward reveals he also has, is canonically Hybrid Theory. And this is her favorite song on the album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8UTS2iFXOo

retroactively makes the whole series awesome

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
my god rosalie and emmett (the best characters btw) got done dirty. this is shameful

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Midjack posted:

God this is terrible.

And they let him go to class when there was “just” a 1-in-12 chance that something bad would happen? You don’t make it very long as a secret conspiracy when you take chances like that!

what are they gonna do? spend time around edward just to make sure he doesn't lose it? look at how mopey and unpleasant he is!

it's easier to restart your secret life with a whole new fake identity then to deal with him for more than 5 minutes.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
i choose to believe that Edward is lying about their entire background out of jealousy that Rosalie rejected him instead.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
Carlisle being a respected, experienced doctor who apparently presents at the age of 24 (and if he's supernaturally beautiful he could look even younger!!!!!) is really funny.

He's literally doogie howser

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

The Assassination of Rosalie Cullen by the Coward Stephenie Meyer

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
Literally the only person who is a threat is Edward, it's fine!

Also Jasper. 2 vampires isn't that big of a deal.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
she cant stand being near bella bleeding but she can dump 3 bags of human blood all over the sidewalk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
Very sad. Every thread he made was so well done even for trash fiction like this.