Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

And then I froze where I stood. There were five people at the table.

:eek: DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUUUN!

Goodness but she is an unendearing protagonist, isn't she?
Her and Bond, do you have a thing for books which have unlikable main characters?

... now I'm imagining Bella Swan falling for James Bond, and the horrible ramifications thereof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

We scowled at each other in silence. I was the first to speak, trying to keep myself focused. I was in danger of being distracted by his livid, glorious face. It was like trying to stare down a destroying angel.

He's so ~*~dreamy~*~! :sparkles:

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
:psyduck:

Ah yes, I see, these are ... human people who act like hu-mans, yes.
No, don't give me that "Edward is a vampire!" he's been faking humanity for howevermany decades, he should be less poo poo at it by now.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

quote:

I felt greedy, a miser hording over each minute.

You hack, Meyer, that's not how you spell "hoarding", nor how you use it.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

quote:

And the way he sometimes spoke, with unfamiliar cadences and phrases that better fit the style of a turn-of-the-century novel than that of a twenty-first-century classroom.

Does he... ever actually do this on the page?
Because I don't remember noticing it.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

quote:

The words bothered me more than they should—probably because his speculation hit home. I’d always suspected as much, and it embarrassed me to have it confirmed.

"I'd always suspected I was immune to mind reading, probably because of my borderline psychopathy."

quote:

“I was trying to remember how to incapacitate an attacker—you know, self-defense. I was going to smash his nose into his brain.”

"On the one hand, I love your readiness to straight-up murder a man. On the other hand, that doesn't actually work. Remind me to teach you how to break a fellow's neck some time."

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

Meyer tried to advertise this "forbidden love" story with the gimmick of Edward having to fight his nature as a vampire, but it just comes off as the equivalent of trying to date Ted Bundy while he resists the urge to bludgeon you to death with a tire iron.

Edward returns home and creates a board with red string connecting all of her answers into a psychological profile that ends with "Eat her."

Imagine seeing this relationship play out in real life.
"What do you and your boyfriend talk about?"
"He asks me questions about literally every one of my likes and dislikes robotically, then silently strokes my face and leaves."

I kinda want to write a parody now, where the Mysterious Boyfriend actually is just a serial killer. And a really unappealing one, too, not the suave literary type with the violin and the elegantly filed fingernails, but the real-world kind with the greasy hair and the My Little Pony bedsheets.
But the protagonist is still just ~*swooning*~ over them.

Let Me Be Your Dakimakura posted:

"Actually, it's called a magazine," he said, waving the metal block in the air. The slightly nasal tenor of his beautiful voice sent a thrill down my spine. "A clip is a strip of metal into which one slots bullets so they can be rapidly fed into a weapon with an internal magazine."
I watched as he forced it into the gun, the cheeto dust under his close-bitten nails shining yellow in the pale morning sunlight. The gun was pink, emblazoned with an elaborate design of a winged horse.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

Is this the first swear in the entire series? I think it is!

It always catches me by surprise when I'm reminded that Americans consider "hell" a swear word.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

Booboo Stewart?

Yeah, his real name is Nils Allen Stewart Jr. but he goes by Booboo professionally. Gotta say it sounds like a misstep, but you do you Booboo.

His tribal descent is Blackfoot, mixed with a bunch of European and Asian. His father, Nils Allen Stewart, is a longtime stuntman who got his start in Under Siege and is still acting as a stuntman and stunt coordinator on several projects every year. Like Leah, Seth was not in the film adaptation and Booboo wouldn't get his pick-a-nick basket until the film for Eclipse. He would later appear as Warpath in X-Men: Days of Future Past and is the current voice of Victor Kohl in the Marvel Rising franchise. He seems to have had one of the most successful careers of any supporting actor in this series. You go, Booboo!

See? See?
You laughed when he called himself "Booboo", but who's getting the callbacks, huh? Who's laughing now?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Stephanie Meyer posted:

I was like a lost moon—my planet destroyed in some cataclysmic, disaster-movie scenario of desolation—that continued, nevertheless, to circle in a tight little orbit around the empty space left behind, ignoring the laws of gravity.

chitoryu12 posted:

I've said it before, but Meyer's clumsy metaphors make me want to go back to Ian Fleming.

I was about to point out that this was technically a similie rather than a metaphor, but then I looked it up to double check and I discovered that actually similies are a type of metaphor. :eng101:
I Learned A Thing!