Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

Could Billy not just tell Charlie approximately where Jacob is? Like that he's nowhere near the Olympic Peninsula and has no intention of coming home? Charlie isn't going to deduce that Jacob is constantly broadcasting his thoughts via werewolf mind powers, he's going to deduce that Jacob was near a phone at some point. Or is Seth only bothering to update Bella on that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

quote:

Not only that, but the sound was different, more guttural, the cadence off. I didn’t think he was speaking Portuguese anymore.

For a moment, the woman stared at him in wonder, and then her eyes narrowed as she barked out a long question in the same alien tongue.
"More guttural," "the cadence off," and "alien tongue" are all great ways to describe an indigenous language, thanks, Stephanie Meyer.

Also, how do you "bark" a long question?

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

I wonder if they're going to tell that girl that weird devoted family friend is going to be her husband, if they're going to just let that be a surprise. Jacob's "fourteen years of monkitude" line implies that he believes they're going to start dating as soon she turns seventeen

But it's okay, because they're soulmates, so this is definitely what's best for her.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

Turns out Bella and Edward put "Berth ell pup" on all the wedding invitations.
Werth elf pop.

I bet Edward's going to completely reverse his opinion once the baby's born and turn into a proud father. I only know roughly what happens, but it feels like this is where this is going.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

It's bad enough that this woman exists and has problems, but Jacob has to hear about these problems. What a burden. For Jacob.

Shwoo fucked around with this message at 14:34 on May 21, 2020

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

The fetus gets its first taste of Blood and Death™, and bursts ravenously out of Bella's abdomen for more.

...Wait, that's not actually what happens, is it? It's not inconsistent with what little I do know about the birth scene.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

Rosalie posted:

Giving birth in the middle of a disease-infested swamp with a medicine man smearing sloth spit across your face to drive out the evil spirits was never the safest method.
Yeah, no one ever had working medicine before the Europeans invented it. Especially not in one of the most biologically diverse continents in the world.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

...Did Bella start to miscarry because she leaned over to pick something up? Is that a thing?

Also, Stephenie Meyer said that she gave Edward and Bella's child a silly name because she wanted it to be unique, like Renesmee herself. But it's already been made clear that other women have given birth to vampire-human hybrids, so what's so unique about Renesmee? That she's a child of a vegetarian vampire?

They should have split the difference in terms of names and called her Renesmeeej not matter what her gender actually was. It can't be any sillier than what it already is.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

MrNemo posted:

The vampire children described at the beginning that gently caress people up and are totally illegal are human infants/toddlers that get vamped. A vampire has never impregnated a human before because it's super dumb.
Not them, the legendary South American demon babies Edward and Rosalie told Jacob about earlier. That scene isn't as clear about their existence as I thought, though.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

Bella posted:

Renesmee?

Not the pale and perfect son of my imagination?
I like that Bella's first reaction to this is "Ew, a girl.'

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

Like, the past two chapters could have just been half a chapter, at most. Bella saw her daughter briefly, now her blood's on fire, the morphine just paralyses her, she starts feeling a little better but doesn't want to upset her loved ones by letting them know she's conscious, and then the venom reaches her heart and vampirises her. It did not need to be that drawn out.

Also, her narration was very lucid considering her blood was on fire.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

quote:

And Sam couldn’t get mad about my transformation, either, because Jacob—speaking as the rightful Alpha—had allowed it. It rankled to realize over and over again how much I owed Jacob when I just wanted to be mad at him.
But...Sam was the one who was fine with it! It was Jacob who broke from the pack to drive to the Cullen house and kill everyone in retaliation! Am I having a stroke? Did Meyer change stuff in her drafts and not keep it straight, or did she just not remember her prior writing?
I think it was that Jacob heard Bella was back and got all murdery because he assumed she was already a vampire, while Sam said it was Bella's decision and they wouldn't attack the Cullens over it, and then Jacob found out she was still human and changed his mind about killing her, but he told the others about the demon baby and Sam decided it had to die? And that's when Jacob used his main character powers to leave the pack and make his own.

With regards to imprinting, Jacob's hatred of Renesmee during Bella's pregnancy was really weird, if the reason he was so obsessed with Bella was because he was destined to imprint on her daughter. He may have been psychically drawn to her, but he was still ready to kill her before they made eye contact and the mind control fully kicked in. Maybe he really was madly in love with Edward at the wedding and mistook it for loathing.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

At this rate I wouldn't be surprised if the Volturi reacted to the demon baby by sending Carlisle a polite email saying that they looked into the future and found out Renesmee was nice, and also Bella can keep in touch with her family if she wants, that won't be a problem. And then the rest of the book is Bella, Edward, and Renesmee growing an ornamental vegetable garden outside their cottage while Jacob stands around creepily.

I mean, I've seen enough complaints about the end of the story to know that that's not exactly what happens, but it's pretty consistent with how the conflicts have been resolved so far.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

Yeah, but it's still his fault for... existing, or something. And for shortening the terrible name Bella gave her daughter.

Edward posted:

There’s a tremendous amount of time left over when you don’t have to sleep. It makes balancing your… interests quite easy. There’s a reason why I’m the best musician in the family, why—besides Carlisle—I’ve read the most books, studied the most sciences, become fluent in the most languages.… Emmett would have you believe that I’m such a know-it-all because of the mind reading, but the truth is that I’ve just had a lot of free time.

Imagine Edward sitting alone in his room, wearing little reading glasses and going "Hm... Yes... The quarks are attracted to one another through the strong interaction, forming into groups of three that collectively cancel out their colour charge..." while loud rhythmic thumping and moans emanate from every wall, every night.

Can he turn his mind reading off? I don't remember if that was brought up, but he'd probably want to in that situation.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

This tragedy could have been avoided if only Irina had stopped skipping her vampire eye tests and seen that Nessie was clearly alive.

If the Volturi were right that she was an uncontrollable murder child, waiting another month would probably depopulate the entire Olympic Peninsula. Maybe they just really want that rainforest real estate.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

This seems to be building up into a fight scene, so I bet it'll immediately turn into chapters and chapters of talking instead. Maybe because of Bella's shield powers, but might be too much to ask for her to accomplish anything important. Especially at the book's climax.

chitoryu12 posted:

Bullshit. You two are the biggest drama queens in the goddamn book. Edward specifically attempted to commit suicide in the most extra way possible.
Because Bella jumped off a cliff in order to adrenaline herself into hallucinating his voice so she could feel alive again. It's amazing Edward's suicide by vampire cop plan managed to top even that.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

Bella freaking out and using her shield and then going "Oops, now's not the time" had better not be the only use it gets in the climax.

At least she's conscious for this one. So far.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

It is definitely not starting, Alice and Jasper are just coming back with the resolution to the plot so no action has bother to happen.

Seems about time for that.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

The bits where Edward ascribes something deep and dramatic to Bella's behaviour when she's thinking something mundane in the corresponding scene in Twilight will never not be funny to me.

Like Edward's narration is all "She took a second to respond to my remark, biting her lip. Of course. Her hesitation made it clear that she knew of the dangers of my presence, knew of all the ways I could slaughter her before she could take another breath. [Insert several more paragraphs about what a monster Edward is]

And then Bella's narration is like "I bit my lip, momentarily distracted by thoughts of tonight's dinner. Should I cook pasta this time? Or fish?"

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

Would you believe this isn’t even the end of Alice coming up with a 100% speedrun of the future?
She'd better give the rerecord count when she submits it to tasvideos.org.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

The gently caress? She gave up her childhood because her mother was a useless womanchild who couldn't even keep a job or clean the house! Why are you defending this, Meyer?
She gave up her childhood because her useless womanchild mother psychically compelled her to take care of her without realising she was doing it.

Which I'm sure will never be touched on or acknowledged again, and not just because the book is nearly over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

Thoughtful of the chapel to provide its own appropriate soundtrack suddenly. Is that also a vampire power?