Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Good thread, but I think the OP could touch more heavily on the main reason the series became so much of a joke so fast - the sparkling. Brooding bad-boy vampires being afraid to go out into the sunset because it'd mean they looked like they were dipped in glitter was one of the best moments of comedy of 00s YA, even if (hell, especially because) Meyer never quite realised it herself. I really think the complaints about the abusive relationship and so on (which are not that far out of the ordinary for YA romance - and believe me, that wasn't intended as a defence) wouldn't have got nearly as far off the ground without so many people being drawn in by 'this is the skin of a killer'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ripley posted:

Has anyone in the history of human civilisation ever jumped from "oh poo poo, do I smell bad?" to "I'd better sniff my hair just in case!"?

You're not wrong about the writing style, it feels very 'new writer'. Strange to see Bella devastated by this terrible first day at school, when she actually had multiple people falling over themselves to show her around (while she barely made an effort to remember their names).

If you have long hair, it can be a concern. Your pits are more obvious, but hair can get pretty stinky. Hang out around long-haired nerds in a gaming group, and you'll soon see why this is a sensible precaution.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Selachian posted:

Of course she's reading Wuthering Heights, the book that set the template for a billion moody rear end in a top hat romantic heroes who just need the right woman to reveal their hidden sensitive depths.

Wasn't WH itself a dark sendup of that sort of book? Heathcliff is straight-up bad news for everyone around him, especially Isabella, the innocent girl who tries to melt his heart.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MorgaineDax posted:

Freesias aren't mouthwatering. Bella should smell like a rare prime rib or a bag of pennies to him.

I say if Meyer wants to eat flowers, let her eat flowers. :colbert:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Epicurius posted:

I mean, the Voluri are still more interesting than Bella or Edward. They're really pale and pretty. Jane is psychic. Aro is preternaturally cheery. They have their own town and goons and beautiful female bodyguards. So there's all sorts of potential there.

So maybe I missed the explanation, but do we ever get anything explaining why Bella's blood is so appealing to vampires?

Some folks are just tastier than others, I think.