Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Actually excited to see this as someone who was the target demographic and eager reader when these initially came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Wuthering Heights is a great story about how Heathcliff ruins everyone's life but people persist in trying to label it a love story. I doubt Meyer is familiar with it beyond the obvious plot.

Thanks for the reading, chitoryu. I keep having war flashbacks to the twilight fandom days as a teen.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

"“Why did you even bother?” I asked frigidly.

He paused, and for a brief moment his stunning face was unexpectedly vulnerable.

“I don’t know,” he whispered."

I wish the books had leaned more into how alien the Cullens are. Later they get into how utterly detached from the world the "bad vampires" are and how they view people as food only, but it would have been much more interesting to have Edward struggling to care about people after a century of no longer being one.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Edward posted:

Run, Bella, run. I love you too much, for your good or mine. 

He's talked to her like three times at this point :negative:

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

A more interesting story would focus on how Edward is essentially a predator and the Cullens are really badly attempting to ape humanity with little success. There are also moral dilemmas with the Cullens: one of them is a surgeon but the rest just pretend to do high school instead of actually useful stuff. And they are aware of the vampires who are, uh, bad, but have a sort of don't ask don't tell policy toward widespread murder.

When I was a teenage girl reading these books and getting into the fandom, I liked all the stories that played with the minor characters. There are some actual good elements in the story that are just dropped or poorly handled: I am not sure what the spoiler policy is so I'll hold off.

I hadn't read Midnight Sun so I am kind of delighted to hear that the Cullens are just as big sickos as they come off in the series: constantly debating about murdering people to maintain their facade of "hot highschooler."

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

this is so much more terrifying to read as someone who has now experienced healthy adult relationships than it was when I was 11. someone please rescue this girl

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Every single minor character is more interesting than Bella and Edward lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

chitoryu12 posted:

In her website’s FAQ, Stephenie Meyer confirmed the CD Phil gave Bella: Linkin Park. She was canonically falling asleep by blasting “What I’ve Done” at max volume.

Idk if her website has changed at all, but back in the day she had playlists for the books. The movies have surprisingly good soundtracks, though.