Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

" Destroy automated drone factory" followed by coordinates would be an exceedingly simple and quick message you :spergin:
Isn't that better than spending several meetings crudely shouting single words about? Not to mention the attacks on the station.

And this message would also work a treat in picture form! Even just holding aloft a ship model and making shooting noises would be better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
Unfortunately, I had to say goodbye to my daughter today. I'll be catching up with the bonus footage over the next few evenings.

radintorov posted:

It's a reference to an old classic sci-fi movie from the '50s, The Day the Earth Stood Still: one important phrase used as a sort of verbal command for an impossibly powerful alien robot is "klaatu barada nikto", and given how influential this movie was for science fiction, especially in the US, it is very often referenced by other authors.

Shame on me, I've never watched this before. Thank you for clearing that up for me.

By popular demand posted:

" Destroy automated drone factory" followed by coordinates would be an exceedingly simple and quick message you :spergin:
Isn't that better than spending several meetings crudely shouting single words about? Not to mention the attacks on the station.

And this message would also work a treat in picture form! Even just holding aloft a ship model and making shooting noises would be better.

I really can't wait to see yours and other people's reactions in the episode after the next one.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I really can't wait to see yours and other people's reactions in the episode after the next one.

"ANTICIPATE " "DAMAGE"

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

In this episode, Bannik has to travel through a maze to perform various tasks. This isn't just any kind of maze, we have to travel through this maze several times to different locations while trying to avoid being one-shot by drones. As I've said in the commentary, I've put timestamps in the video description for those who don't want to watch the tedium of traversing the maze.

I've caught up with the bonus video recordings, so much so that I've added the small amount from this episode onto the end of the footage from the last episode. The next two bonus videos will accompany its main playthrough video.

Part 8 - Additional Scenes & Dialogue
Holosuite Programs, Conversation With Sisko & Scythians, Ending Sequences 9-11, Sixth Conversation With Odo, Ending Sequence 12.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

What, if anything did this CGI maze add to the game?
There was this time in the 1990's that every single adventure game wasted the player's time with loving gratuitous CGI scenery and I'm glad these died out.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this episode, Bannik bumps into the most unlikely of allies and also finds a couple of new friends who aren't opposed to killing him. I'm not going to spoil anything story-wise, this episode is very dialogue-heavy and we learn a lot of new things in a very short amount of time. (You'll understand why I've underlined this sentence soon enough.)

This episode clocks in at over thirty minutes long, the additional dialogue ends just before the twenty-three-minute mark.

Part 9 - Additional Scenes & Dialogue
Ending Sequence 13, Second Conversation With Quark, Third Conversation With Quark, First Conversation With Keel & Ending Sequence 14, First Conversation With Tactical & Ending Sequences 15-19

There's only one more video of the main playthrough and one bonus video left to upload. I recorded a complete playthrough of Star Trek: Klingon last night, I'm going to work on commentary and editing over the weekend.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Why do the helper holograms talk like normal people? Aren't they holograms of Scythians? Weren't they designed by Scythians? Aren't they made to converse with Scythians? :psyduck:

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ArchWizard posted:

Why do the helper holograms talk like normal people? Aren't they holograms of Scythians? Weren't they designed by Scythians? Aren't they made to converse with Scythians? :psyduck:

Worse, in the case of the Tactical Holoprogram, it starts out making observations in the Scythian style (although still very verbose by their standards), but then switches to normal once it starts conversing with Bannik.

Maybe the Warlord faction was just really pissed off with the :spergin: faction over basic communication way back when.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Absolutely no reasons are given, none at all. I've gone through all the dialogue options in the last two episodes and nothing is explained. There is a long, optional conversation, in the next episode (which I cut short for reasons) where there is a brief mention of language. But you really have to use your imagination to interpret anything that's implied from it, if anything is implied.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this episode, Bannik speaks to another holo program and works out how he can stop Nemesis once and for all. This is the final episode and it's extended. Expect more talk, more cut scenes and some action.

Here is the last of the additional videos. I know that I missed some lines, some lines are a random chance and some others depend on specific conditions, but I hope that I got the majority of extra content in.

Part 10 - Additional Scenes & Dialogue
Conversation With Control & Ending Sequence 20, Seventh Conversation With Odo, Ending Sequence 21, Conversation With Control & Rhoon, Conversation With Control & Odo, Fourth Conversation With Quark, Second Conversation With Tactical, Ending Sequence 22, Control & Rhoon Conversation In Full, Ending Sequence 23.

Thank you, everyone, for being a part of this LP. It was enjoyable reliving this game again and I'm glad that I had the chance to share this experience with you all. The first half of the game was always a favourite of mine when I was young, I was a big fan of Deep Space Nine and I got a major kick in exploring the station and speaking to some of the crew. The second part of the game could have been so much more than the maze and random drone attacks, but there are still positives with the voice acting and dialogue.

Next up is Star Trek: Klingon. I had no idea what to do with it, but for better or worse I've done something. I'll let this LP cool down for a few days and then I'll start the new thread.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I liked the part when you make Tactical cry and howl in shame.
I'm ok with the ending since I had absolutely no expectations of the writing improving and I never have to hear a lizardman shouting single words at me again.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
Thanks for the LP, I didn't know this game existed.

The first half was a lot of fun, sadly things got pretty boring once we were dealing less with familiar territory, and thus things we might actually care about. I was hoping for a while it was going to go Star Trek Murder Mystery on us, where we'd have to talk to all the suspects and work out who was where and so on.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
gently caress me, I'd forgotten about the goddamn conduit maze in Part 9. Saw it at the end of Part 8 and a lot of memories of slogging through it repeatedly came right back :shepicide:.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I honestly don't know what happened with the direction of this game. Everything on the station is fine, the murder mystery and the mysterious aliens on board make things interesting.

Then all of a sudden you're on a planet which for some reason has a massive maze in the middle of a cavern. Then you find out the monosyllabic aliens can actually speak normally but for some reason don't.

Personally, I'd have been fine with expanding the station environments and adding more of the original cast members. But it is what it is.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The holograms speaking properly is most likely because you have to deal with them for long stretches, and it'd be a LOT worse doing what you go through with just single-word dialogue for the average player. Chances are they'd just be completely confused after the first time talking to a monosyllabic Keel and be totally lost as to how to progress. There's no Jadzia around to help intuit what they were saying after the fact.

It's a pretty reasonable design choice for a game, even if the maze and drones aren't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
Sure, it would be frustrating as anything to have this amount of dialog with the holograms if they talked in single words. So it's a reasonable design choice... IF you've already taken the steps of deciding that you're definitely going to have a big long persuasion dialog with these holograms. But why are we doing that in the first place?

Talking to them for long stretches is a huge drag because they are not characters we have any investment in. There's no emotional payoff to convincing them that their role is pointless OR not-pointless. They're AIs, and not AIs that we've been told have evolved to be more than simple programs either. They're phone bank mazes and we don't care about them. So it largely feels like wasted time. On top of that iirc there was a whole bunch of "Oh, you finally managed to access this control layer! No, you STILL can't shut down the drones/ship!" which adds to the general sense of frustration and being given the runaround. That sort of feeling is okay for a mid-section of a game but not for the climax, which needs momentum for emotional satisfaction.

There's also the obvious "Why did you invent a species that can only speak in single words?" Because it's such a stumbling block, it needs to be used in an interesting way to justify it being an element to begin with. Introducing it and then completely throwing it out later draws attention to it being a stupid design in the first place.

So let's back this up a little and adjust the game structure. We have aliens on the station who communicate oddly. They only speak in nouns, they only speak one word every thirty seconds, and they get frustrated by people babbling at them in high-speed because they can't respond to it. We have been interacting with them, one of them in particular, enough to have at least a little fondness for him, though we still don't know him well because the communication barrier makes it hard. We eventually go on a desperate mission into the gamma quadrant with our Taciturn Alien and one associate we're more comfortable with. We crash-land at an alien base. Our normal-speech associate is knocked out. The only backup we now have is OneWordGuy. We go out to explore together and have to solve some simple puzzles through making use of the one-word communication system to get him to do things like stand on a button to hold a door open while we go through it, thus building on what we've previously learned about talking to him. And while we're in our alien base shutting down the drones, we discover some sad backstory (possibly through visual storytelling or our protagonist reading things?) and OneWordAlien can react to it, and because we actually know this guy, we will care that he is sad about things, and we can pat him on his scaly shoulder afterwards. Then we save the station and become OneWordAlien's adopted brother and everyone is happy.

... I mean I probably would have just stuck with Deep Space Murder Mystery, but this idea would manage to cover some of the same ground that the game was going for.

I know it's utterly pointless to bash the design of a mostly forgotten game from twenty years ago, but hey.