Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

it didn't just get out of hand once. it only actually got addressed once. the creepy fanart was not a new phenomenon and it had already driven me from posting anywhere near as much in those threads before the most recent one.

we also had just one thread for ages before the chat threads existed. perhaps we should try that again, especially as 99% of the posters from the last chat thread proudly proclaimed on discord that they were not going to post on somethingawful ever again after the last thread got iced, thereby greatly diminishing the need for a second thread.

By your logic if all those posters are actually gone then there should be no problem in making a chat thread. Also the whole reason the chat thread was made was because the number of people interested in speedruns had increased and shifted away from people who just wanted hardcore, serious discussion at all times. Going back to one thread just diminishes that interest.

Look, every year GDQ has supposed to be a feelgood event for me. Until last time it was. The discourse in the chat thread had definitely shifted away from what I enjoyed the most (I really didn't care for any kind of fanart spam), but it was not nearly as problematic as you're making it out to be. It was still really enjoyable at times. All we need is someone to actually put the barest minimum of effort of addressing reports rather than just shutting down an entire thread.

Or just have a no fanart rule. Its really a loving simple thing, but the people banning it don't actually care about this event at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

or you could just use this thread to chat since that is what we used to do in the past :shrug:

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

By your logic if all those posters are actually gone then there should be no problem in making a chat thread. Also the whole reason the chat thread was made was because the number of people interested in speedruns had increased and shifted away from people who just wanted hardcore, serious discussion at all times. Going back to one thread just diminishes that interest.

Look, every year GDQ has supposed to be a feelgood event for me. Until last time it was. The discourse in the chat thread had definitely shifted away from what I enjoyed the most (I really didn't care for any kind of fanart spam), but it was not nearly as problematic as you're making it out to be. It was still really enjoyable at times. All we need is someone to actually put the barest minimum of effort of addressing reports rather than just shutting down an entire thread.

Or just have a no fanart rule. Its really a loving simple thing, but the people banning it don't actually care about this event at all.

I'm also very sad that chat thread is dead, but there isn't really any reason we can't just use this thread.

It does lose some of the useful functionality of the serious thread but 90% of the serious thread was people asking which runs were good which, yeah, ok, that's actually pretty valuable but can probably be delayed until nearly the end. We can use this thread however we like in the meanwhile, yeah?

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

my apologies

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

MORE TAXES WHEN posted:

I'm also very sad that chat thread is dead, but there isn't really any reason we can't just use this thread.

It does lose some of the useful functionality of the serious thread but 90% of the serious thread was people asking which runs were good which, yeah, ok, that's actually pretty valuable but can probably be delayed until nearly the end. We can use this thread however we like in the meanwhile, yeah?

I guarantee we're gonna end with the same loving problem that came up in the past years that made people wanna have separate
threads in the first place.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Internet Kraken posted:

I guarantee we're gonna end with the same loving problem that came up in the past years that made people wanna have separate

the only person here insistent that we need two threads seems to be you, friend

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

or you could just use this thread to chat since that is what we used to do in the past :shrug:

Internet Kraken posted:

I think the point, though, is that this thread is reserved more for concise posts (questions or conversations directly related to the event), and we don't want to drown it in flippant chat and comments, which was the purpose of the Chat threads.

There's also nothing stopping people from posting fan art of bird phallus in either this thread or the Discord, which might get it shut down.

That said, I think you should try to give the Discord a shot, Internet Kraken. It's not the same as SA, sure, but I think it benefits from updating automatically (instead of having to refresh the page every twenty seconds), it's easier to upload images, and there's voice-chat if you have a mic.

The Discord also has emoticons for :pepsi:, :emptyquote:, :comfysamus:, and :kazooieass: as well!

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

We'll see how it goes this time around, two threads was good though imo

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm in need for some new t-shirts so I hope Yetee has some good designs on offer.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Yay SGDQ thread! :comfyoot:

iospace posted:

Please keep a running count thanks!
But the count will break because PJ is involved.

As to the whole lack of a chat thread, I think it's unavoidable this thread will get fast when people are excited - but since I expect people are imposing a restriction on posting fanart and a lot of other stuff in the thread, it'll hopefully work out.

Internet Kraken posted:

Discord is an inherently different experience. I used it before and didn't like it compared to the chat thread.

The problem is we had this thread for ages and just because things got out of hand once it has to be gone forever? It had become my favorite part of GDQ. And there are multiple potential solutions to this problem but people from other parts of the forums don't give a poo poo. They'd rather just shut down the fun for everyone.

Its lovely and its seriously a disappointment.
I think I understand what you're saying, and I agree that I'd love the chat thread back with all of its zaniness - even though I had a hard time keeping up. I'm personally hoping that if we can show that we can keep it under wraps this SGDQ, by AGDQ 2020 we'll have a chat thread again.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

TeaJay posted:

I'm in need for some new t-shirts so I hope Yetee has some good designs on offer.

:same:

D. Ebdrup posted:

I think I understand what you're saying, and I agree that I'd love the chat thread back with all of its zaniness - even though I had a hard time keeping up. I'm personally hoping that if we can show that we can keep it under wraps this SGDQ, by AGDQ 2020 we'll have a chat thread again.

AGDQ 2020: the Chat Thread returns, and in turn heralds the return of Bonesaw577 and a new Jak and Daxter run.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I am happy to see that there's no ten hour final fantasy runs this time around.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

in all seriousness tho i am hopeful that this thread can be more like the earlier gdq threads, where it's really active, but not to the point of being completely impossible to follow or hold any actual conversation in. the newer threads got way too fast and all the fuckin fanart made me kinda stop following the threads anywhere near as much as i used to.

This is basically my wish too. It was really fun when we were posting reaction images, comments and memes - that were related to the game being played. When there wasn't as much to comment, it was slower, and that was fine too. There's no need to "fill" the emptier spaces with random fanart spam completely unrelated to what's going on.

I'm gonna try to hold the fort EU side mornings/afternoons, since my evenings are pretty busy with work. The schedule seems pretty good, monday starting with NES stuff and wednesday afternoon looks suspiciously like a silly games block.

e: here are the Yetee designs

https://theyetee.com/collections/sgdq

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jun 23, 2019

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

Coasterphreak posted:

I am happy to see that there's no ten hour final fantasy runs this time around.

I'm not. ff7 sqdq 2017 is one of my favorite runs ever and the ff9 run last agdq was pretty good

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I think if you look at the current schedule, pick any consecutive ten hours of games in it, and replace it with "here's a long-rear end RPG", the event overall gets worse.

They're good for filling time on the B stream though, when the event has one.

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

gdq needs ff7 100% imo

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im very excited this year because im in japan so my schedule is inverted. All the runs at US primetime I usually dont care about can be slept through and garbage nobody ever heard of is my primetime.

Lets do this!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i will play some games during this marathon. currently i'm doing clustertruck and i'm at world 7.. that game is fun as gently caress

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Jabor posted:

I think if you look at the current schedule, pick any consecutive ten hours of games in it, and replace it with "here's a long-rear end RPG", the event overall gets worse.

It's this. Don't get me wrong, I've been known to watch long rear end 100% runs of various games on twitch and youtube, I just don't think they're appropriate for gdq because they take up such a large part of a finite schedule.

When I can watch an hour of a run, go to bed, get up, eat breakfast, and they're still running the same goddamn game, it's too long.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Did Utsurun get accepted again?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Ceramics posted:

I'm not. ff7 sqdq 2017 is one of my favorite runs ever and the ff9 run last agdq was pretty good

FF6 is one of my favorite final fantasy games but I didn't think it was good for the finale, because closing things out with a 7 hour run kinda takes the wind out of the sails of the finale if it's not something you're interested in. I was in town for last SGDQ and I wanted to stick around for the finale, but I couldn't make that kind of commitment. :/

Coasterphreak posted:

It's this. Don't get me wrong, I've been known to watch long rear end 100% runs of various games on twitch and youtube, I just don't think they're appropriate for gdq because they take up such a large part of a finite schedule.

When I can watch an hour of a run, go to bed, get up, eat breakfast, and they're still running the same goddamn game, it's too long.

yeah, definitely this.

raditts fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jun 23, 2019

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
the JRPG guys get like one long rear end run per event max and they tend to hit homeruns when they get them

from a "representing the cross section of runner communities" perspective gently caress it man just give them their run don't be a bitch

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

the JRPG guys get like one long rear end run per event max and they tend to hit homeruns when they get them

from a "representing the cross section of runner communities" perspective gently caress it man just give them their run don't be a bitch

all I'm saying is, don't make that long rear end run the last 7 hours of the event, you've got 6 other overnights you can stick that one in.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

we've been over this in like every other gdq thread ever

long runs are extremely good for the end of the event because they always have shitloads of incentives and whatnot that drive donations through the roof

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

yeah, not personally a fan of a 5+hour JRPG to end the event; I like em more as the friday night feature instead

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
It's a harsh world being a JRPG runner because holy poo poo you will never get the GDQ run if it's not one of the super recognisable mainstream franchises like FF or Chrono Trigger or some poo poo.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Actually, when was the last marathon to have two streams? It seems like it stopped being a thing at some point and I'm not sure why.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Jabor posted:

Actually, when was the last marathon to have two streams? It seems like it stopped being a thing at some point and I'm not sure why.

only esa ever had that and i think they only ever had it once. gdq has never done this specifically, although in the past they had things like pinball done quick and poo poo (which i do miss).

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Wait, that was literally just a once-ever thing?

I honestly thought it was great because you could have long-rear end RPGs and stuff on one stream and still get a bunch of variety on the other one, which solves one of the issues with having really long games in a marathon. It seems especially good in a world where you have so many people that want to run that you're turning away a bunch of games entirely.

But it's probably a whole bunch of extra effort on the part of the organizers and tech team, so I guess I wouldn't blame them too much if they looked at it and figured it wasn't worth it.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

it's defo not worth

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

raditts posted:

all I'm saying is, don't make that long rear end run the last 7 hours of the event, you've got 6 other overnights you can stick that one in.
"Overnights" localtime mean primetime for other places, so good job foisting what you don't want onto other people.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

MagusofStars posted:

Is there a list of Goons who are running or commentating/couch/etc? Would definitely make sure to tune in for those runs to support fellow SA posters.
UraniumAnchor is on staff. Punchy, SeXreX, Oyster, Studio and Murphagator are usually attending.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

only esa ever had that and i think they only ever had it once. gdq has never done this specifically, although in the past they had things like pinball done quick and poo poo (which i do miss).
You have apparently not paid attention to ESA in quite a long time, two streams is ESA's default approach nowadays. Even Winter has it now. The second stream doesn't run throughout the whole marathon, though.

Edit: Also sent a request to get this thread stickied before I went to bed yesterday, so we'll see if that happens.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Coasterphreak posted:

I like long RPG runs and I don’t mind seeing one on the schedule, but I understand the argument for only having one, because it just eats up so much time in a schedule that’s only one week. Just really limiting when they’re already having to reject hundreds of quality submissions.

Maybe the solution for these sorts of games is to invent some shorter categories for marathons - rather than a full FF7, do a “Aeris %” that cuts off at the end of Disc 1 or whatever, so it’s only four hours instead of eight. Still long enough to show off step routing, some tricks, Slots abuse, etc...but not taking up hours on end. It’s not a perfect solution but might help for games where it’s feasible.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Thread stickied! :D
Have fun and :justpost: I hope this year is fantastic! There is no reason you cannot chat and serious post in this thread, just none of the horny art from last time. Oddities and cool art is not prohibited, just the bad stuff from last time.

Internet Kraken posted:

Do we seriously not get to have a chat thread just because the mods can't be arsed to their loving job.

Also this is not quite the case. The issue is that I am unable to sit and read a whole thread that never stops moving for the length of time SGDQ lasts. If I was off work and had the time, I would be much more hands on with it but I do not have the ability to do so. It only takes one post to start a snowball effect while I am asleep and then six hours later when I awake there has been issues.

Honestly, I think if we use this thread as serious and light chat, that will be the best of both worlds and more like the originals. It cannot hurt and I will try to keep up with it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

VideoGames posted:

Honestly, I think if we use this thread as serious and light chat, that will be the best of both worlds and more like the originals. It cannot hurt and I will try to keep up with it.

Well as long as I can post stupid gifs without comment then I guess I will give the thread a shot

Realtalk I don't think you're lazy at all. I just don't think there should be only one dedicated mod for an entire subforum, but that's a whole nother can of worms.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

Hello speedfriends! I am once again excited to post with you during these wonderful events, I do love watching some speedrunning and enjoying it with everyone.

As always I'll be debating with myself to try to get good at the one game I (infrequently, as I haven't for months) speedrun and think about submitting it to an event in the future. Maybe I'll think of a different game I would like to speedrun too!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

KennyMan666 posted:

UraniumAnchor is on staff. Punchy, SeXreX, Oyster, Studio and Murphagator are usually attending.

You have apparently not paid attention to ESA in quite a long time, two streams is ESA's default approach nowadays. Even Winter has it now. The second stream doesn't run throughout the whole marathon, though.

Edit: Also sent a request to get this thread stickied before I went to bed yesterday, so we'll see if that happens.
Cool Matty is also on staff.

VideoGames posted:

Thread stickied! :D
Have fun and :justpost: I hope this year is fantastic! There is no reason you cannot chat and serious post in this thread, just none of the horny art from last time. Oddities and cool art is not prohibited, just the bad stuff from last time.

Also this is not quite the case. The issue is that I am unable to sit and read a whole thread that never stops moving for the length of time SGDQ lasts. If I was off work and had the time, I would be much more hands on with it but I do not have the ability to do so. It only takes one post to start a snowball effect while I am asleep and then six hours later when I awake there has been issues.

So what you're saying is we need a couple Idiot Kings?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Unlike most people i'm going to actually try to not play any games during this GDQ. Trying to focus on my art and GDQ has always proven to be good background noise for that.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

I'm poor as gently caress but I've saved up to be able to buy a couple of yetee tees after I got the pink Bubble Bobble one from agdq earlier this year. It's one of my favorite shirts and I get people talking about it all the time. Hopefully there are a bunch of good ones this time too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

DiggityDoink posted:

I'm poor as gently caress but I've saved up to be able to buy a couple of yetee tees after I got the pink Bubble Bobble one from agdq earlier this year. It's one of my favorite shirts and I get people talking about it all the time. Hopefully there are a bunch of good ones this time too.

Definitely buying this one, possibly another one as well.

https://twitter.com/theyetee/status/1142583152554254338

e: ack, that was meant to be an edit not a double post.