Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Namtab posted:

Mums are tough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

lmao at the latest arc of hanmachi having a female lead who was a prostitute and she had a whole arc about her job and reassuring her that she isn't like 'impure' or whatever and then at the very end the other prostitutes went 'also she passes out whenever she sees a man so she actually hasn't had sex yet! bye!'

what was the point of anything that happened in the past like 4 episodes

Apparently, that was significantly rowed back from the original light novels, which had some even weirder and more explicit purity-fetishist bullshit.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dogsicle posted:

to add a sad new girl to bell's orbit
couldnt they have just added a girl who has depression and says 'hello i have depression' and saved us all some time

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

But then we couldn't have had the one unattractive woman in the anime be a rapist ogre.

bobomb
Jul 22, 2005

Undisputed
Moe Master
I will break my almost 7 year anime dry spell with Vinland Saga. Yes.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Ok watched the first episode of Joshikousei and it's pretty good.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Now you can WA MOON DASS CRY every day.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Oh yeah Joshikousei turned out to be really funny if anyone was wondering.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Agronox posted:

Now you can WA MOON DASS CRY every day.
I don't think there's been a day since I started watching where I haven't gone ahead and fired up the OP from YouTube. It's deliciously infectious, though not quite as much as discovering the delightful funkiness of one Masayuki Suzuki through the Kaguya-sama OP because holy poo poo that man's music can put me in a good mood like few things these days! :dance:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wark Say posted:

I don't think there's been a day since I started watching where I haven't gone ahead and fired up the OP from YouTube. It's deliciously infectious, though not quite as much as discovering the delightful funkiness of one Masayuki Suzuki through the Kaguya-sama OP because holy poo poo that man's music can put me in a good mood like few things these days! :dance:

How cute...

And of course now that you've reminded me of Kaguya-sama the loving Chika dance is back in my head again :cripes:.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Buddy, that ain't even the best song I associate with Chika

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ4rWmv3lX8&t=69s

The anime had an incredible soundtrack that made some of the better moments.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
The next seasonal thread is now open :eyepop: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3899450

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
lmao the publisher of danmachi did the same thing to another series like it’s so blatantly a higher up decision. like it’s something that the viewer only knows so bell and haruhime never have to think about again so there’s no reason to bring it up again

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Finished Joshikousei, was a pretty fun ride. Now time to finish off the summer shows that I'm behind on because of my holiday, and maybe make time for the mom isekai.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Top shows for me this last season:

1: El-Melloi Case Files
2: Kimestu no Yaiba (yeah I know it's from last season, but episode 19 was this season and that alone is enough to yank it back in)
3: Danberu
4: O Maidens (victim of first episode setting expectations too high for energy and directorial quality)

Fire Force largely rides on fantastic visuals but isn't bringing much else to the table.
Momsekai is fine and sweet, but nothing to write home to mom about.
Dr. Stone is good but doesn't add much to the experience compared to the manga.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Paracelsus posted:

Top shows for me this last season:

1: El-Melloi Case Files
2: Kimestu no Yaiba (yeah I know it's from last season, but episode 19 was this season and that alone is enough to yank it back in)
3: Danberu
4: O Maidens (victim of first episode setting expectations too high for energy and directorial quality)

Fire Force largely rides on fantastic visuals but isn't bringing much else to the table.
Momsekai is fine and sweet, but nothing to write home to mom about.
Dr. Stone is good but doesn't add much to the experience compared to the manga.

El-Melloi is also definitely a top show for me this season but I think it expected me to know a lot more about Gray going in, because it sure didn't bother to answer many questions about her.

Or even... ask them. That's a wild character to expect me to just kind of take as read.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it got too much into the magic babble with that last arc but hey, having a cast i enjoyed and cared about is enough of a selling point in the end

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Ibblebibble posted:

Finished Joshikousei, was a pretty fun ride. Now time to finish off the summer shows that I'm behind on because of my holiday, and maybe make time for the mom isekai.
Glad you enjoyed it. :)

I needed my dosage of dumb high-schoolers and by jove did it deliver.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Patware posted:

El-Melloi is also definitely a top show for me this season but I think it expected me to know a lot more about Gray going in, because it sure didn't bother to answer many questions about her.

Or even... ask them. That's a wild character to expect me to just kind of take as read.

Pretty sure she's a new character to the series. At least all the movies I've watched have never had or mentioned the character once. Maybe the extended universe has more information on her.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Patware posted:

I don't think there was any info on her prior to the show. I'm not sure what info is needed that wasn't provided, though.

dogsicle posted:

it got too much into the magic babble with that last arc but hey, having a cast i enjoyed and cared about is enough of a selling point in the end

Yeah, Waver and Gray worked surprisingly well as protagonists.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Wait is El-Melloi over? I thought it was two cours.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
What was El Melloi based on, was it an adaptation of some sort?

Also, while I haven’t finished it, I can see why it appealed, it really hits the millennial zeitgeist. Waver is overeducated, has an apparently high position at a university, but is also in crippling debt and is a complete mess.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
It's an LN adaptation

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hamelekim posted:

Pretty sure she's a new character to the series. At least all the movies I've watched have never had or mentioned the character once. Maybe the extended universe has more information on her.
Column A, Column B. Grey was introduced in Case Files. However, the anime adaptation has a fair amount of original material and also doesn't focus on the arcs that delve into Grey's backstory much. So a lot of the stuff that has to do with Grey is technically secondary material to the anime, it's just in the original LNs.

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
Seasonal Top 5... kinda petered out towards number 5

1. Kimetsu no Yaiba
2. Araburu Kisetsu no Otome-domo yo
3. Carole & Tuesday

4. Bem
5. Katsute Kami Datta Kemono-tachi e

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Holy poo poo, 5 minutes into Cautious Hero and it's already amazingly good. The godess's VA work is so good it could carry a show - not that it needs saving. The animation and directing, despite mostly being the Goddess talking to herself, is Trigger af in the best way possible, though it's helmed by White Fox. (Are there Trigger vets working on this show because it feels way too Trigger to be a coincidence.)

Also, it made me painfully aware of the recent trend of blatantly self aware Isekai shows.

e: Oh, meant to post in the fall thread

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Oct 5, 2019