Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

Belfast is a great city. Visit it first. I don't want to stereotype you being from NB but there's fairly decent pro hockey (between ECHL and AHL in quality) too. The Friendship Four is a fun tournament.

PropertyPal is the best site to use, everyone in NI uses it- or Property News. Unless things have changed since I left in 2016, Zoopla and Rightmove aren't useful for NI.

What's your budget for rent? If I get a chance I might be able to give pointers.

I recommend living in the South of the City as an outsider (good areas would be Stranmillis [studenty but nice] or the Ormeau Road, on the far side of the Ormeau Bridge from the city centre) as it's a bit more diverse and less inclined to sectarian flare-ups. If you don't care about diversity or cultural stuff the new housing developments in the North (eg Glengormley) are quite nice too- they aren't my cuppa but some of my friends who stayed in NI but didn't want to have kids in the city like it there.

Have an escape route if it isn't what you imagine, but you'll have a blast. I know quite a few Canadians who've settled there for between 1 and 20 years (mostly hockey players) and by and large they've had a blast. It is very Anglophone, in case you prefer French.

Check that your first landlord protects your deposit under one of the statutory schemes, but if you find that they haven't, don't let on until the end of your tenancy. Triple damages.

The single biggest cultural difference IMO is the Canadian tendency to go to bed early, and the shoes indoors thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU