Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Tuxedo Ted posted:

As for cooked sushi, eel is amazing.

When 'utsubo tataki'
is served with some sake

that's-a moray! :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Last time I was at a sushi restaurant, I got a 'sexy roll' without asking what it was. Turned out it was a california roll that was tempura'd and covered in spicy mayo. It was delicious, but not exactly the texture you think of when you talk about sushi.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
I haven't had sushi in forever, but I really like spicy tuna

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
I'm not a fan of fish flavors, and I was introduced to sushi by a vegetarian, so I like kappa maki and things involving avocado and cream cheese, and will fall back on chicken skewers and edamame if I run low on suitable vittles.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

I don't have an update ready yet, but if you're looking to play the game now's a good time:

https://twitter.com/videogamedeals/status/1147494172406013953

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jul 6, 2019

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Update 3 - Gotta Find 1st Gear in My Giant Sushi Bar

We pick up where left off after Musashi's first sushi battle victory. Now that the grunt is out of the way, time to tango with the commander and see what he's made of.

♪ BGM: Republic ♫

But first, we've got a new piece of UI to check out, the menu.

Here's where we do prep work and research. Let's briefly go through some of the options.

Sprite Order: Allows you to view/edit sushi sprite teams. (More on this when we start getting more sprites.)

Striker Specs: Allows you to equip various items like Lane Drive Gear, Favorite Sushi, and Prepared Item. (We don't have any of this kind of stuff, so we'll have to come back to this at a later time.)

Items: Allows you to view/use items.

Catalog: This is where you can get information on cats and cat foods sushi sprites and sushi. (You know, the stuff you've been seeing at the end of each update.)

Well we can't do anything with the sprite order or the striker specs, so let's peek into items and the catalog real quick.

Right now the only item we have is the Exp Charm S which gives a sprite 250 exp. I'm not going to use it anytime soon, in fact, I'm going to horde the snot out of these things to help out spites we recruit later. We can also check out our key items by hitting R.

Sushi sprite essences... Is that why I smell so fi— funky?

And here's your sprite pokedex or whatever. Even though it currently stops at 100 there's more than that. (It's more like 102.)

Wow, look at all that sushi I'm gonna have to catalog. :negative:

Well now that's out of the way let's get back to kicking butt.

Video: Battle - Captain Fammish

Star Objectives
- Win in 75 or fewer seconds.
- Link 9 or more plates and win.
- Start 1 or more sushi jubilees and win.

♪ BGM: Battle VS Soldier♫

This fight is pretty much the same as the previous one, just with slightly more health; but there is one thing I would like to point out. So far we know that attacking with stacks of the same color creates a combo, but there are other ways to gain a damage bonus and one of them involves a fair bit of precision. You see, linking big chains is great and all, but did you know that you get a 1.3x damage modifier if you link only plates with the same type of sushi? In the video, I linked 4 shrimp plates and now it'll do more damage than if I linked any 4 plates. (It gets even better when you enter sushi jubilee as the modifier turns into a 2x modifier.)

Now you're wondering why don't I do this the whole match? Well for one, this early on you won't have that many opportunities to take advantage of this; and two, you've seen what it's like to play with button controls! Precision is not something I have right now. :sweatdrop:

Anyways I build up some stacks, enter sushi jubilee, and go all in on the guy.

Well not quite a knock out, but one more stack of blues should do you in.

♪ BGM: Event Battle ♫

Okay I miscalculated, one more should do it!

:doh: COME ON! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!

THERE! JEEZ!

♪ BGM: Won a Match♫

Those blunders costed me an A rank. Welp, at least we got the star objectives.

And a couple of level ups.

Lastly, we got a skill charm which is a very important usable item as it's one of the few ways to level up our sprites' skill level.

♪ BGM: Musashi's Theme ♫

: (Her fighting style is exceptional for one so new to this.)

I'm guessing Jinrai wasn't paying attention to that last fight.

: (Hrhrr... I think I made the right choice.)
: Onward to the border, then. Perhaps we'll pick up Franklin's trail there.

Right, let's keep moving.

Hmm, this next opponent doesn't look like an imperial soldier, judging by the silhouette. Heck, they don't even look like an adult. Who could this possibly be?

Video: Tutorial - Lane Gears

♪ BGM: Kojiro's Theme ♫

K-Kojiro?!

: Get lost, Kojiro! I don't have time to put up with your guff right now!
: Why? Are you looking for Franklin? Don't bother. He's halfway to the Empire by now!
: What?! How would you know?
: Yeah, the thing is...I was following you to pay you back for before.
: But then I saw you taking sushi from some stranger. Naughty, naughty, Musashi.

You didn't...

You little rat! I have half a mind to sushi strike you into next week!!

: Because I'm sick of living in this run-down Republic without a bite of sushi to my name.
: Ratting on that goof was my ticket into the Imperial Army! And you know what they get?

#Sushi4Days

: But...Franklin was trying to make it so that everybody could have sushi, not just them...
: He would have helped you too!

The screen flashes a couple of times and then the weird thingy Franklin gave us starts glowing and doing an impression of the world's smallest jet engine.

: Oh, that? It's a lane-drive gear. They boost a sushi striker's powers!
: You'd never be seeing it if you didn't have a deep, torrid love for sushi!

But we did see it, when Franklin handed it to us.

♪ BGM: Preparing for a Battle ♫

Star Objectives
- Win in 90 or fewer seconds.
- Link 10 or more plates and win.
- Earn a B grade or better and win.

Ooh, Kojiro has a sushi sprite we've never seen before. Penzo, the penguin sprite, has the skill of 'Sweets Paradise'. Let's see what it does...

Ah, a healing skill, but do note that it says sweets and not fruit. Sweets heal more health than fruits do. I take it Penzos are standard issue for imperial recruits.

♪ BGM: Battle VS Kojiro ♫

: Hm. With a lane-drive gear, you can control the speed of your lanes!

Oh I get it! So, uh, where's the clutch on this thing?

: Really? How?!
: While touching the lane, keep your position and the lane will accelerate!

: But...if I don't move, how am I supposed to link plates together?
: The idea is to speed up until the sushi you want draws near, then to link again.
: Do you see? Hold your position, accelerate, link plates, hold again... And so on.
: Like so.

Neato torpedo! We'll be able to save so much time with this, and be able to make bigger combos!

: That's pretty cool!
: Hold down on the lane to make it speed up, then zig-zag to link plates!

Game's being very up-front about this, and they're not wrong. You're going to want to master manipulating the speed of your lanes.

There's one small bit I wanna mention about lane gears real quick. When the gear activates and speeds things up, it doesn't decelerate back to normal in the instant you start moving again; instead the lanes will gradually slow back down. This will become a lot more noticeable when we get our hands on more-powerful gears.

Anyways, let's clobber this punk.

There's proof that the 1.3x modifier turns into a 2x modifier while in sushi jubilee.

Alright Kojiro, open wide!!

: That's it! I'm telling the whole imperial Army about you!
: Wait 'til they hear there's a brat walking around with a sushi sprite! That'll teach you!
: WAAAAAH!

What a sore loser...

: Well, well. A sushi sprite pledge plate. It must have been issued by the Empire.
: If you can form a new pledge with the sprite in that plate, it would be a great help to you.

Huh, does this mean sushi sprites are closer to Monster Rancher than Pokemon?

♪ BGM: New Sushi Sprite! ♫

: Oh, it's Penzo! It's been some time, old friend.
: If it isn't the great Jinrai! Rare to see you take a sushi striker under your wing.
: Indeed. I think she has potential, and I want to see where it goes.

What? Are you gonna dump me if I don't live up to your standards??

: Mweheheh. You always were one for understatement!
: So then, sushi striker. You got a name?
: Everyone has a name! Mine's Musashi!
: Okeydoke, Musashi. Come share the Sushi of Binding with me!

And then this happens.

If I had stuck to my original plan to make this a VLP, I would have made ya'll watch this sequence every single time it happens no matter how samey it was.

: As sushi strikers all with more sprites, they master more useful skills.
: But be warned, Musashi.
: Kojiro's report will spread, and you will find many Imperial soldiers wanting to control me.

Not to worry, you're in good hands Jinrai. Well that about does it for this update, tune in next time as we tango with another imperial squad; who unfortunately are led by the worst commander ever. See you then!

New Sushi Sprites

#003: Penzo
Secret: Known for its faniful silk hat.
Skill: Sweets Paradise - Makes sweets appear in user's lanes—select them to eat them and restore HP!

New Sushi

#005: Orange Slices
Perfect as a sour-sweet palette cleanser or a refreshing treat after soccer practice.

#008: Salmon
Ever beloved thanks to its perfect balance of oily and umami goodness.

#020: Flounder
Its hallmark characteristic is an uncannily firm texture.

#024: Sweet Shrimp
True to its name, this delight is renowned for its deep, full-flavored sweetness.

#026: Shrimp Tempura Roll
Lightly fried shrimp rolled up with rice into a perhaps perfect little bite.

#029 Saltwater Eel
It's melt-in-your mouth texture is perfectly complemented by a sweetly savory sauce.

#031 Fatty Salmon
A sticky cut of salmon with its beautiful layers of fatty goodness on full display.

#032 Rainbow Roll
Perhaps not every color of an actual rainbow, but sure tastes like one.

One last thing before I sign off, last week, fellow LPer and good idea haver, Grandma Party, pinged me on discord saying:

So I attempted to make what he described and here's the result. GP called it the "The Alabama Slamma". I call it "Doobie's Frog Out Sushi".

Rice, nori, slice of American cheese, sliced hotdog, and topped with wasabi; and my personal touch, a side of fries piled high with dipping ranch sauce.

What do you think Musashi, wanna bite?

: [...]

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jul 10, 2019

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
You don't understand how much this makes me want to commit future food crimes.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

:nms: that poo poo jesus

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

That will do, game. That will do.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Also yeah I wanna whack that kid with an oar already

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Sour Gumdrop posted:

If I had stuck to my original plan to make this a VLP, I would have made ya'll watch this sequence every single time it happens no matter how samey it was.

Joke's on you, I'll probably watch it anyway! Ha!

But, uh, no more food crimes please.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

SSNeoman posted:

Also yeah I wanna whack that kid with an oar already

Now, now, we're civilized sushi strikers here.

Which fish would be the equivalent of an oar?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Omobono posted:

Which fish would be the equivalent of an oar?

an oarfish

duh

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Hwurmp posted:

an oarfish

duh

F
U
C
K

Police, I'd like to report my murder.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

Now I just wanna make sushi versions of American food.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Miz Kriss posted:

Go for it. I know GP really wants to find new ways to make sushi. (For better or worst)

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jul 9, 2019

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Miz Kriss posted:

Bonus points if you start with carnival food.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

Hwurmp posted:

Bonus points if you start with carnival food.

The easiest one for that would probably be pork tenderloin sandwich, but use sushi rice instead of bread.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Now do something with a roast turkey leg or deep-fried Snickers bar.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Or deep-fried butter!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

God, James is a dick. He would've gotten his sushi anyways, the only thing he did was endangering the lives and food of the other children!

I hope you overkill his rear end every time he appears on-screen.

Even if he doesn't actually battle you.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

SSNeoman posted:

:nms: that poo poo jesus

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Hwurmp posted:

Now do something with a roast turkey leg or deep-fried Snickers bar.

Roast turkey leg should clearly be a skin-on slice of drumstick over a thin layer of moist stuffing attaching it to a bed of rice...d potatoes.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
More food crimes, please. :allears:

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I hate these word food crimes.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Which ketchup is best on sushi?

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Hwurmp posted:

Which ketchup is best on sushi?

The Green Ketchup they did for the Shrek movie, obviously

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Sour Gumdrop posted:

Oh, you mean wasabain't.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Sour Gumdrop posted:

I think purple would be better. All goons who still have some bottles, please try each and report back

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

Hwurmp posted:

I think purple would be better. All goons who still have some bottles, please try each and report back

I ain't trying ketchup that hasn't been in stores for 15+ years :barf:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

And yet you'll happily eat raw fish.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

And yet you'll happily eat FRESH raw fish.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

raw fish hasn't been sitting around on a shelf for over a decade :colbert:

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
So there are two kinds of sushi that I think are bad.

One is ankimo. Ankimo is monkfish liver. At its best, it tastes like an old sea captain is giving you mouth to mouth.

The other is shirako. Shirako is...hmm. I believe the technical term is "Milt." To offset the other technical term of roe. Yep. Big old mouthful of fish sperm. It doesn't taste good or feel good in your mouth and it comes in packets.

Only had to try that one once. Pass.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Update 4 - Wikihow to be a Sushi Sprite

Welcome back to Sushi Strikers, last time we found out that Kojiro was the rat who busted Franklin, and you know what happens to snitches, right? After that we... adopted Kojiro's sushi sprite, and now we continue the journey to save Franklin!

Video: Battle - Private Scraps

♪ BGM: Soldier Scene ♫

Bumping into soldiers, sure, but what's up with the captain sliding up into frame. Where were you my dude, and what were you doing down there. Do note though, this won't be the last time he and his captain brethren do this trick.

Uh oh, he found out about last week's food crime. Look bub, if you're gonna arrest me, you better arrest Grandma Party too. He came up with the idea after all.

: We got a tip from a promising new recruit by the name of Kojiro.
: According to him, you have in your possession a rare contraband sushi sprite.

:argh: KOJIRO!!

: As you command!
: You're in for it this time, squirt. Wait until you see what my sushi sprite can do.

Whatever it does, it won't stand a chance against my—

: When he's in his paradise, he's surrounded by delicious health-recovering sweets.
: Sweets Paradise, huh? Sounds yummy. Hey, where do I know that name from? Couldn't Penzo do that?
: The best part about sweets is all I need to do is touch each one to get the benefit!

Don't ya mean 'all he need to do'? Unless you're stepping up to get served.

Hey, that's my line! Also who's talking? Jinrai, that you?

Star Objectives
- Start 2 or more sushi jubilees and win.
- Eat 50 or more plates and win.
- Win with 25% or more HP.

Oh hey, it's Penzo, who'da thunk? I'm more interested in seeing what our Penzo brings to the table in terms of sushi.

Hmm, looks like our lanes will be a bit yellow heavy this time.

So this squad of soldiers are mostly here to demonstrate new sushi sprites and skills, so they'll always start the battle with a full skill bar. Private Scraps uses Sweets Paradise right off the bat.

And now his field is replaced with sweets, which will only heal him and not gain him any plates; so I have no idea why his AI is scripted to use the skill at the very start of the fight instead after taking damage. Not to mention he only eats a handful before they leave the screen! Here pal, let me show how it's done.

As the game mentioned, you can eat through all these sweets quickly if mash the A button, and now we've recovered all our health. Now to finish this.

Whoops, ended the battle too soon so we missed out on one of the star objectives. Well that's alright, we can just redo the stage take care of it real quick.

Okay, let's get that last star.

: Whoa! Cool, thanks!

You got the Secret Striker Scroll!

: Score! So uh...what is it?

: This contains secret knowledge of advanced techniques, handed down through the ages.
: All right. Let's review the controls and the Eight Precepts of Sushi Striking.

The game takes control from here and opens the menu.

♪ BGM: Imperial Rim ♫

Here are the buttons controls in case you need a reference. The game then opens the 8 precepts. Most of this is stuff I've already gone over, but now it has some illustrations.

Here's all the different plates and their base damage values.

Most sushi sprites will 'awaken' when they hit a certain level; except Jinrai, his are gated by story beats.

That's one thing I've never used before, if you move the right stick on the overworld a mouse cursor appears and you can click on things to go to them. It's a little faster then just moving between stages.

There's a lot of stuff in this sub-menu, and we still have two more stages to get through; so this will be it's own mini-update, info dump, or something.

: Take special note of the sushi jubilee, during which damage is increased by 50%.
: You also need a Skill Charm to enhance a sushi sprite's skill level.
: Know your enemy, yourself, and your sushi, and you can overcome a thousand obstacles.

Way ahead of you, Jinrai.

Video: Battle - Private Crumbles

You already pulled that trick ya dungle!

: You're gonna give me a heart attack if you keep this up.
: I expected better of Scraps. Though in hindsight, I'm not sure why.
: Crumbles! Let's see if you can do better than your sorry excuse for a comrade!
: No sweat, sir!
: Heheh. I'm tingling with anticipation to show off my sprite's special skill.

: It's a jolting move that uses electrified plates to sizzle away your health.

Okay, what are you gonna tell me next, your shoe size?

Star Objectives
- Win in 75 or fewer seconds.
- Eat 10 or more types of sushi and win.
- Make 3 or more glowing plates and win.

Private Crumbles has himself a Tigazo, the tiger sushi sprite.

And as mentioned. Tigazo has a offensive skill that allows the user to deal more damage. How much more? I dunno, I try to math it out with the numbers used in the 8 precepts, but something didn't add up correctly; so I have no idea how much more I just knows that it does more.

So, unlike Scraps, Crumbles holds off on using Electrozap for a while; but when he does he hit me with 11 plate blue stack.

Cheese-n-crackers! That actually really hurt! Better finish this quick.

Alright let's see that A rank.

:eyepop: Did not expect that! This isn't just an S rank, but a Rainbow S rank which is the highest rank you can get on a stage. This mostly caught me off guard as I slowed down to let Crumbles show off electrozap.

Video: Battle - Private Growlin

Alright, last fight of the update. Let's see what kind of heat this guy is packing.

: Can't you dopes take the hint?
: Hmph... I had high hopes for Crumbles. Why can't you know your place?!

What did you just say to me?! I will slap the soy sauce from your mouth, punk!!

: Growlin! Make me proud and grab Jinrai! FOR THE EMPEROR!
: Heh. With my sushi sprite's skill? It's as good as done.

What? You have the 'I Win' sus—

Ever heard of letting people finish what they're saying?!

: All the power of that Jinrai you're so proud of is like soggy rice against this technique.
: So like...a Sushi Shield makes attacks weaker or something? Good to know.

Star Objectives
- Start 1 or more sushi jubilees and win.
- Make a 2-hit combo and win.
- Win with 20% or more HP.

This fight features Elekan, the elephant sushi sprite.

Like Electrozap, I'm not sure how much damage Sushi Shield blocks. I just know that it's not a good idea to unload your big attacks while it's up.

Didn't waste time on using it. The shield surprisingly last for quite a while. This might prove to be a problem.

Heh, shield or not, you're just like every other mook with a sushi sprite.

What the?! Somehow he turned the tables on me!

♪ BGM: Battle Pinch♫

The second you start hearing that music, you know you've lost control over the battle. Worst of all Sweets Paradise is no where near ready.

I'm sweating bullets, either I link two plates and throw or he'll hit me with those greens and loss. SUSHI GIVE ME STRENGTH!!

Whew! That was a close shave!

Welp, I'll have to go back and get that star.

Alright, now to get that last star.

And now everything is right with the world. Well that about does it for this update. Tune in next time when we break a dish with the Commander of this squad.

New Sushi Sprites

#006: Tigazo
Secret: Can sometimes be found chasing its own tail.
Skill: Electrozap - Charges plates with electricity, increasing their attack power!

#009: Elekan
Secret: So heavy no human could move it.
Skill: Sushi Shield - Creates a shield that reduces damage taken from opponent's plates!

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Sep 14, 2019

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

So wait, are there multiples of each Sushi Sprite in the world except for Jinrai? That's what I took from Penzo 2 but I'm kind of confused.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

So wait, are there multiples of each Sushi Sprite in the world except for Jinrai? That's what I took from Penzo 2 but I'm kind of confused.

I'm of two minds on this. It's either there are multiples of the same sprite and only a select few are extremely rare; or there's only ever one sushi sprite of each type but they grant their power to multiple strikers, but that doesn't explain how more than one could physically exist at the same time unless their doing some weird projecting trick, but AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa...

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Basically don't worry about it.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Sour Gumdrop posted:

I'm of two minds on this. It's either there are multiples of the same sprite and only a select few are extremely rare; or there's only ever one sushi sprite of each type but they grant their power to multiple strikers, but that doesn't explain how more than one could physically exist at the same time unless their doing some weird projecting trick, but AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa...
Eh, it's like playing a MegaTen game. I've fought a random encounter with three Shivas on the enemy side and one on my own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

pretty sure it's the Kage Sushin technique