Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
just signed my first lease since recreational marijuana came into effect statewide, and it has a section prohibiting all usage, claiming federal law compliance

apparently this is legal because california prop 64 has a carve-out for landlords to prohibit it at their discretion

i figured that they'd be able to ban tenants smoking it, same as they can with cigarettes, but nope it's a lease violation to possess or cultivate it period

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
not like that would be enforcable unless your landlord is spying on you or something

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Yeah and we all know they wouldn't do that

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
why even claim federal law, evictions go through state court

also this complex was built in 1972, people have been smoking weed there longer than i've been alive, long enough to have eaten all of the lead paint and asbestos putty off of the windowsills that they're obligated to warn me about

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

just signed my first lease since recreational marijuana came into effect statewide, and it has a section prohibiting all usage, claiming federal law compliance

apparently this is legal because california prop 64 has a carve-out for landlords to prohibit it at their discretion

i figured that they'd be able to ban tenants smoking it, same as they can with cigarettes, but nope it's a lease violation to possess or cultivate it period

lol

i live in subsidized income restricted housing (still pay $850 for a 2br) and theres a special part of my lease that specifies having any weed in any form is prohibited anywhere on the property even if you're a medical patient

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if it owns land, remove its head!

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

whatis posted:

when i lived in philly for grad school my apartment was a dump. it seemed fine when i moved in, but two weeks later the bathroom ceiling collapsed because of water coming from the apartment above. it took weeks to get fixed, all while mushrooms started to grow out of the exposed wood and studs. when it finally got fixed, it fell down again a few days later because they did not fix the leak that caused the problem to begin with. this happened a few more times over the next month, when the landlord decided to just stop fixing the ceiling, rendering the bathroom unusable. i visited a tenants rights organization in the city once they stopped pretending to try, who put me in touch with a lawyer that would do consultations about landlord issues one time only for $100. he told me the info i needed and i took things over from there.

first i called the city to make an appointment for a building inspector. it took 30 days for them to show up. they knew when to expect the building inspector, so some new drywall could be put up just in time to pass the inspection and fall down a few days later. however, because of all the water and the open wall/ceiling, there were huge problems with mold and insects, which led to a number of other problems that the building inspector recorded as infractions. all infractions were reported to the landlord, with a follow-up inspection scheduled for 30 days later. if things were not taken care of after that 30 day period, he would be given a final 30 days to take care of the problems or face fines. in other words, there was nothing forcing the property owner to fix anything for a full 90 days while i lived in a shithole. i started breaking into a vacant apartment to use the bathroom and shower. i kept developing hives because of mold. turning the lights on in the middle of the night meant seeing dozens of bugs scurry away. it got so bad that i started just hanging out at school and sleeping in my car periodically.

once there was official documentation about specific infractions related to the property, i sent certified mail to the landlord informing them i was going to stop paying rent until the issues were taken care of to my satisfaction. every 1st of the month i would deposit my rent money into a separate account as proof of income and my intent to pay. this went on for about 3 months, until a week before the final inspection, where infractions would mean fines. then i got a phone call from the landlord out of the blue telling me that if i didn't leave in 5 days, he would take me to court. however, if i did leave in 5 days, i could keep my security deposit and all of my withheld rent. i got a uhaul, told the college i had to leave the city on short notice (they were aware of the situation), transferred to an online program, and moved back in with my parents on no notice. the final building inspection was cancelled because the unit was no longer occupied. i think he rented the apartment out a couple weeks later without fixing the problems.

landlords can kiss my rear end

jesus christ

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
the idea of someone lording over you, in your own home, the one place you should always feel safe, it's disgusting

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I realize this is out of line with the general FYAD-Lite tone of the thread, but are there any tenants rights organizations out there that have model leases that would be as fair to the tenant as possible? Even if not having their site be just a copy of the little red book makes them filthy moderates?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I realize this is out of line with the general FYAD-Lite tone of the thread, but are there any tenants rights organizations out there that have model leases that would be as fair to the tenant as possible? Even if not having their site be just a copy of the little red book makes them filthy moderates?

no landlord is going to use a tenants lease, the peasant doesn't make the law.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

you should be proud to pay somebody to hide your garbage behind a wall

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Elephanthead posted:

no landlord is going to use a tenants lease, the peasant doesn't make the law.

Unironically found a landlord that is willing to let me find a lease form. I know, it's loving weird. She's an old woman that's completely computer-illiterate so she just finds one online every time she rents the place out (her basement).

Or even terms to make sure are in the lease to minimize abuse.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Nonsense posted:

you should be proud to pay somebody to hide your garbage behind a wall

but enough about your posts

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
tenants rights are halfway decent in ontario, i think.

my friend's landlord recently tried to pull some shady bullshit by texting him that he was being evicted in 60 days because some family members were moving into the rental unit. my friend's wife is 7 months pregnant with their first kid, lol. pretty sure in this case the landlord pulled an illegal move by not providing a formal eviction notice + offering 1 month's rent in compensation, but i need to talk to him again to see how that pans out. piece of poo poo landlord!!!

i also recently learned that in ontario, property maintenance including shoveling of snow and mowing the lawn are 100% the responsibility of the landlord. if a landlord adds a clause in your lease that you're responsible for mowing the lawn, it is not enforceable at all. if you slip on icy steps to your rental unit, the landlord is legally liable for any injuries. next time a landlord asks me to mow their lawn im gonna tell them to gently caress off, and it will feel great

punished milkman has issued a correction as of 21:28 on Jun 29, 2019

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I wonder what the closest thing to an ethical landlord would be. Lease terms being "Do what you want as long as it looks the same when you leave" and rent being equal to the cost to the landlord plus expected maintenance? Then anything that ends up not being needed for maintenance gets donated to a tenant's rights advocacy group? Or just returned to the tenants in reduced rent for however long it is? Probably the latter one. Any upgrades (new furnishings, etc) aside from stuff like heaters/smoke detectors being run past the tenants since it's really their money? The landlord still comes out ahead in terms of having a property that should appreciate in value, though. Something like a lease-to-own without the scamminess and having to pay for all your own repairs on the house that still isn't yours?

At one point I wanted to use my eventual guillotine-level STEMlord salary to do non-profit landlording since to be honest I'll never have the energy to run a house of hospitality like I wanted to in college, but I'm wondering if that's even possible. Basically something like a housing co-op but with the start-up money coming from one person who got luckier than they deserved.

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

Finicums Wake posted:

jesus christ

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

you could just seed a housing coop lmao

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

How does that work? I guess I could look into that sometime in the 5-10 years until I'm not financially loving screwed by medical debt and student loans. I guess maybe that's the closest thing to what I was thinking of, cut out the landlord middleman and just put the money down to start a co-op. Also less work on my end, which is good because I'm A) lazy and B) disabled just enough that I can work but not much else. Taking a second job of making sure people have an actual good place to live and not screwing them over sounds like a lot of effort.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
I can't afford my rent, you can just give me money

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’ve lived in so many shithole places and dealt with so many shithead landlords that actually Mao was right

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Taintrunner posted:

I’ve lived in so many shithole places and dealt with so many shithead landlords that actually Mao was right

Landlords were the secret fifth pest

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

punished milkman posted:

i also recently learned that in ontario, property maintenance including shoveling of snow and mowing the lawn are 100% the responsibility of the landlord. if a landlord adds a clause in your lease that you're responsible for mowing the lawn, it is not enforceable at all. if you slip on icy steps to your rental unit, the landlord is legally liable for any injuries. next time a landlord asks me to mow their lawn im gonna tell them to gently caress off, and it will feel great

Australia has some pretty good rules regarding that kind of stuff, but the power balance isn't anywhere close to even. If you complain or try to enforce what has been put in writing then they can quite legally raise the rent, not renew your lease, give you poor references and potentially put you on a tenants black list that will show up when you apply for any rental property in the future. It's still hosed.

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

thinkin about getting psychic powers so i can make landlords heads explode, like in scanners

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I wonder what the closest thing to an ethical landlord would be.

A dead one.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

A Russian troll farm posted:

thinkin about getting psychic powers so i can make landlords heads explode, like in scanners

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
mao already figured out how to do that on the cheap

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Tollymain posted:

mao already figured out how to do that on the cheap

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_killings_of_landlords_under_Mao_Zedong

:china:

quote:

Historian Walter Scheidel notes that the violence of the land reform campaign had a significant impact on economic inequality. He gives as an example the village of Zhangzhuangcun, made famous by Hinton's book Fanshen:

In Zhangzhuangcun, in the more thoroughly reformed north of the country, most "landlords" and "rich peasants" had lost all their land and often their lives or had fled. All formerly landless workers had received land, which eliminated this category altogether. As a result, "middling peasants," who now accounted for 90 percent of the village population, owned 90.8 percent of the land, as close to perfect equality as one could possibly hope for.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Tenants have the right to not have landlords perform forcible entry and detainer at will. Pretty exciting

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

I'll let u know if co-ops are any good

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

juche avocado posted:

I'll let u know if co-ops are any good

they aren’t. unless good is a board of old white people keeping out the riff raff aka those who can’t pay in cash and/or aren’t white or white adjacent

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
https://youtu.be/mZxxhxjgnC0

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

punished milkman posted:

tenants rights are halfway decent in ontario, i think.

Ontario might as well be a communist utopia compared to most of the United States. Your landlord can't even bar you from owning a dog! In most of America your landlord can put whatever insane restrictions they want into your lease and micromanage exactly how you use the space, right down to telling you if you're allowed to have other people over and at what hours they can be there.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

when i was a kid, i heard about how people pay rent to landlords. my line of thinking to that was, "weren't landlords a thing that existed in medieval times?" even as a kid i knew that landlords are disgusting parasites

we passed a very good set of rent regulations in New York this month. as you might expect, landlords are throwing a fit about them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCiYmCVikjo

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos
I had a landlord tell me I wasn't allowed to laugh after 8:00 PM.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Ok well we've talked alot about tenant rights but what about tenant wrongs?

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Classic tenant wrong: when you unlockYOUR door and walk in YOUR apartment and the tenant get all mad because you didn't give 24-hour notice.

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
when i had a landlord who was also the property manager, chaos and ruin ensued. but when i was at some corporate owned place, the property manager was just a dude sitting at a desk who might help me out, but probably not.

it's funny that the petit-bourgeoisie has been personally more harmful than the actual ruling class, for me, when it has come to renting

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

get that OUT of my face posted:

when i was a kid, i heard about how people pay rent to landlords. my line of thinking to that was, "weren't landlords a thing that existed in medieval times?" even as a kid i knew that landlords are disgusting parasites

we passed a very good set of rent regulations in New York this month. as you might expect, landlords are throwing a fit about them

It's hilarious how any regulation or making slightly less money makes these people flip out.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
"financial stress" includes making a 29% return instead of 30%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

When I wqs growing up the landlord hired a landscaping company to mow my mom's lawn. Because of this I really never learned how to properly mow a lawn. So now my yard is in a state of disrepair and I blame that fucker.