Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

when i was a kid, i heard about how people pay rent to landlords. my line of thinking to that was, "weren't landlords a thing that existed in medieval times?" even as a kid i knew that landlords are disgusting parasites

we passed a very good set of rent regulations in New York this month. as you might expect, landlords are throwing a fit about them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCiYmCVikjo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

etalian posted:

It's hilarious how any regulation or making slightly less money makes these people flip out.
i had a landlord who was trying to do this with the building i lived in (he owns another building that he successfully took off of rent regulations). the only reason i knew it was rent stabilized was because a building inspector told one of my roommates that it was. he's currently the only person living in that apartment, down from me and two other people. but because of our fight (i'll give him most of the credit), everyone in the building now knows that Richard Bennett is a loving rear end in a top hat

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i like to sum up my experience living under terrible landlord Richard Bennett with one anecdote:

on a Friday night, i was kept up all night by a mouse scurrying around my room and making noises by walking around. the following morning, Bennett drove in from his residence in Long Island to make the rounds in the building he owned, driving a new Mercedes Benz and wearing a faux-fur pimp jacket

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Nonsense posted:

Airbnb has extended landlord rule another 1000 years, hopefully they can be found criminally liable for something and the company liquidated.
burn San Francisco to the ground again, while we're at it. Jerry Falwell was right, that place is sodom and gomorrah

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the guy on the left in the video still image is Burak Firik and he was my landlord for about a year. before he got caught trying to build an Airbnb hostel in an apartment that he and a business partner/literal partner in crime signed a lease for, he spent the last couple of months putting unoccupied rooms in my five-bedroom in Crown Heights on that site. i had no idea what he was planning at the time, considering that i got my room in that apartment over Craigslist. it all made sense when one of my roommates there sent me that story

by the way, that five-bedroom unit, along with the other five-bedroom units in the building, were originally one-bedroom. he kicked everyone out, first the left side of the building and then the right side, to convert them into three-bedroom units. this was in summer 2015 and they still haven't finished the work

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

a friend of mine lived in a small room that just had a bed, a closet, and some room for his stuff, although i suppose he technically had two roommates but they lived in the proper apartment and he had access to there. he was kicked out because the landlord wanted his son to move in

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Heartcatch posted:

Airbnb is pretty much peak landlordism and I deplore how much of any area with tech jobs is filled with that sort of opportunism at the cost of tenants.
san francisco needs to be irradiated so that nothing can live there for 500 years

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

here's a good article about the potential avenues landlords might use in NYC to raise rents on rent-regulated units. thankfully, their options are either neutered or so extreme that there's no chance they can be pushed through without significant backlash. rent regulated housing looks to be safe, but the protections for unregulated aren't nearly as strong (though there are a few of them), and that's no consolation to the hundreds of thousands of units that have been taken off of regulation

thankfully, they're permanent instead of subject to renewal every four years, so future battles for tenant rights should be more frequent and productive

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i see the cockroaches have scattered now that sunlight has been shone on the landlords thread

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

bitches, leave

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

either this is a coordinated effort by regular posters in the landlord thread to get even with the people who told them how parasitic they are, or you're all just that stupid. either way :fuckoff:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

angryrobots posted:

Well I'm definitely not rich enough to pay the mortgage for someone else to stay in a home, unfortunately. :wtchris:
you don't have to go home but you can't post here

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

not only are you parasites, you're not even entertaining to read

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Blackstone is being a big gay baby about the new state rent laws and halting certain renovations at one of NYC's largest apartment complexes as a result