Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Kirby! Quite nostalgic indeed. I've played quite a few Kirby games, though I haven't beaten most of them. My favorites are Super Star and Triple Deluxe.

I feel like Ado is just short for Adeleine. I mean, they're similar enough in both appearance and abilities for them to be the same person. Anyway, I feel like that black ball thing she painted might've been Dark Matter from Dreamland 3.

Whispy's a lot harder in the modern 3D games, I feel. I mean, here it's easy to no-damage him if you take your time (and don't attack solely with flaming headbutts), but nowadays he actually tries to jump on you (and grows bigger when he hits half health to make it even harder to dodge).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Commander Keene posted:

Kirby 64 is one of the few N64 games I have any real nostalgia for. I didn't own an N64; I went Sony after the SNES. And even though my brothers did, together we owned like five games for it - Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Smash Brothers, Kirby 64, and I think one fighting or racing game.

I love this game's power-combining mechanic, even if a lot of the resulting powers are kinda dumb. I favor the flame sword and one other Cutter combination power when I play, though some of the weirder combos like the fridge do see some play just because of how utterly bizarre and hilarious they are.

Personally, my favorite mechanic debuted in Super Star, though; the ability for each power to have multiple attacks based upon directional inputs. For that reason, I did really like Star Allies, because it seemed like the best of both Super Star and Crystal Shards.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that Game #5 was Mario Kart 64.

And yeah, the "directional input" mechanic is a large part of why I like Super Star so much (that and the helpers); for one thing it reduced the number of similarly-themed abilities by combining them together, for another I just liked the variety of abilities available (Yoyo and Plasma are great, but I could never get the hang of Hammer or Bomb). I feel like I'd really like Star Allies if I got a chance to try it, but I don't have a Switch.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

EponymousMrYar posted:

If you want the real Dark Horse of 64 games... I beat Quest 64 on hardware. Took a few rentals and a FaQ or two (actually back then it'd have been some Nintendo Power trawling.)

I remember that one. Maybe I should go back and play it again sometime...

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
One small detail I like about Double Rock: You actually move faster than with Single Rock (single goes about half normal walking speed, while double gets up to walking speed), presumably because you're taking bigger steps.

I think the "three picture buttons" puzzle doesn't actually care what order you press them in.

The Rock Star boss is annoying, because it takes forever. To be fair to its concept, though, a recurring boss in the series is literally a cloud.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Cythereal posted:

My favorite combos are probably bomb/cutter and electric/cutter for different reasons. Both are even needed for one shard each.

Fire/Cutter is probably my favorite, and it's objectively a good all-around combo. Wide-hitting melee ability with reasonable speed, comes with a projectile, and you can kill stuff by not looking at it- there're all kinds of benefits to it! Only issue is the shards you need specific combos for (especially since it doesn't seem to actually give access to any shards).

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Explopyro posted:

:psyduck: you made that boss so much harder on yourself than you had to.

It's a weird quirk of the boss design in this game that they're all designed first and foremost to be fought with no powers (e.g. you'll notice all of the patterns have a point at which they generate something Kirby can suck up and use as a projectile), so that often ends up being easier than actually using powers. Some bosses just really aren't suited to being fought with certain abilities.

I don't think I've ever beaten Acro using Cutter, but that's also because I hated Cutter in this game and tried to use it as little as possible (the mobility loss bothered me, and as a kid the body-horror aspect of Cutter really grossed me out). He's a lot easier if you just use the fish and/or torpedoes as projectiles, you lose a lot less mobility just spitting them back at him than the method you used. Or, of course, plenty of other powers work fine, just don't use something with long animations or that affects your mobility.

Again: Fire/Cutter is awesome, because you don't even need to swing it to do damage. Just pull the sword out, hold it over your head (or let it trail behind you and face away, depending on positioning), and let the boss run into it on its own!

Incidentally, I would've thrown away the volcano power for LITERALLY ANYTHING ELSE at the first opportunity. Really, some of the powers in this game're just bad (Ice/Bomb and Fire/Rock are two stand-out examples, and Ice/Fire is about as effective as you'd expect melting ice to be).

On the topic of abilities that speedrunners like: I think they'd generally prefer Fire when there isn't a specific ability they need. Like, just Fire, not Fire/Fire or anything like that. Goes faster than walking, and unlike Fire/Fire you can actually stop midway.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
I hate the dynamite. It takes forever to go off, and the self-damaging thing isn't good either. Fortunately, Neo Star 2 is the only time it's required. At least the drill's useful, even if I still prefer the flaming sword.

...I honestly don't remember ever getting a game over in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
I'm not too thrilled with the lightning rod, personally. I mean, yes, it has its uses, but it's kind of outclassed by several different abilities in combat (not gonna list any because I've already made my opinion on that matter clear).