Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Kirby 64 is one of the few N64 games I have any real nostalgia for. I didn't own an N64; I went Sony after the SNES. And even though my brothers did, together we owned like five games for it - Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Smash Brothers, Kirby 64, and I think one fighting or racing game.

I love this game's power-combining mechanic, even if a lot of the resulting powers are kinda dumb. I favor the flame sword and one other Cutter combination power when I play, though some of the weirder combos like the fridge do see some play just because of how utterly bizarre and hilarious they are.

Personally, my favorite mechanic debuted in Super Star, though; the ability for each power to have multiple attacks based upon directional inputs. For that reason, I did really like Star Allies, because it seemed like the best of both Super Star and Crystal Shards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

CptWedgie posted:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that Game #5 was Mario Kart 64.
I don't think so? I'm pretty sure it was some no-name game that nobody cared about. The kind of thing your parents picked up at a garage sale and you then played once or twice and completely forgot about. Then again, I'm not personally very fond of MK, so it's possible.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Chimera-gui posted:

Nruffs are boar-like critters:

Something you haven't shown off is that if you inhale an enemy but don't swallow them, you can actually hold the enemy over your head. It's practically useless in most cases some enemies like Bronto Burt or Bumber (the umbrella enemies) do something when held over your head.

Also Adeline can't actually paint up Shards because the Crystal's power is greater than her own.
I keep thinking they look like hedgehogs and expecting them to give Kirby Needle power.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Kirby Wins By Doing Nothing.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

:neckbeard: You finally found my favorite power combo in the game. I love the electric double lightsaber.

In Dream Land 3, at least, the animal companions served the function that the power combos do in this game; they altered the way Kirby uses his powers. Some were useful; Pitch (the small bird) + Spark power created a remote-control attack bird. :black101:

As for what Kine the fish did...

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

It's interesting that Jacob mentioned using the Fire power underwater, because Kirby 64 is one of the few Kirby games that allow you to use any power underwater. Most just allow you to use, like, Sword and Parasol underwater and everything else just causes Kirby to waterspout like a breaching whale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

For other Kirby games to check out, I have a soft spot for Return to Dreamland on the Wii. It was the second game to use the now typical moveset-based power system, over a decade after Super Star on the SNES, and felt really fresh because of that. It also looks really nice running high res in Dolphin.
Squeak Squad also had that mechanic, though? You definitely got different attacks on at least some powers for pressing directional buttons in that game. Some were locked behind ability scrolls though.