Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

This is my favourite Kirby game (okay, it's also the first one I played) and I have a lot of nostalgia for it, I'm always pleased to see more people enjoying it. I'm not sure if it's the combining powers, or the fact flight is limited (I actually think this is the first main-series Kirby game to have him be able to run out of flight ability, that concept first appeared in Smash Bros) meaning some of the platforming is nontrivial, or something else, but no other Kirby game has worked nearly as well for me as this one did.

Incidentally, Thorn, you were overthinking how to fight this boss (which, IIRC, is named Pix). You don't actually need to match the colours to do damage, the DNA-looking things are all just generic enemies you can suck up that don't have powers, and any of them will damage any of the boss's orbs. This stage and boss were definitely among the more memorable ones for me too, though.

The only real flaw I think this game has is that some of the shards are hidden too cryptically. The concept is good (I love the idea of needing to experiment with powers to overcome different obstacles, so you can't just coast through the game on your favourite combo but need to try others), but there are a handful of puzzles later in this game that I have no idea how anyone figured out without a guide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

That's the one I had in mind when I was writing that!

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

:psyduck: you made that boss so much harder on yourself than you had to.

It's a weird quirk of the boss design in this game that they're all designed first and foremost to be fought with no powers (e.g. you'll notice all of the patterns have a point at which they generate something Kirby can suck up and use as a projectile), so that often ends up being easier than actually using powers. Some bosses just really aren't suited to being fought with certain abilities.

I don't think I've ever beaten Acro using Cutter, but that's also because I hated Cutter in this game and tried to use it as little as possible (the mobility loss bothered me, and as a kid the body-horror aspect of Cutter really grossed me out). He's a lot easier if you just use the fish and/or torpedoes as projectiles, you lose a lot less mobility just spitting them back at him than the method you used. Or, of course, plenty of other powers work fine, just don't use something with long animations or that affects your mobility.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Cythereal posted:

I'm pretty sure it's a safety net

Oh, agreed. It's good design, and the alternative would make for a pretty horrible game. I just think it's also pretty obvious that they didn't put much thought into what the boss fights would be like with certain powers. The fact that they put enemies that give you Cutter in a boss fight where using Cutter is a death sentence is kind of a mixed message in terms of how games usually communicate.

Although I do wonder if there's some untapped potential in bosses being designed around getting a power partway through and having to use that to defeat them; that's certainly something this game could have done. There are some hints in that direction here, and in one later boss (Miracle Matter), what with being able to get powers mid-fight, but it's still a better idea not to...

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Oh, Fire/Cutter is great, as are a lot of the combos (Electric/Cutter was my favourite as a kid, perhaps for obvious reasons). It was just Cutter alone and Cutter/Cutter that I liked to avoid.

I think CptWedgie is right that there are a lot of (I'd say too many) joke powers in this game, or powers whose uses are too niche to justify using them most of the time (I never found a level where I actually wanted to use the ice skates, for instance). When you actually do the maths, it works out there are 36 powers in the game (6 base powers, and 30 unique combos once you remove the duplicates). That sounds like a lot, but once you start ticking off the list of useless ones (or ones like Fire/Rock or Ice/Bomb that you're only going to use when the game forces you to for a puzzle), it starts to look a lot smaller. More to the point, it starts looking very similar to the number of unique powers in other Kirby games that don't have the combination mechanic.

I'm being a bit nitpicky and hard on the game here, but I do really enjoy this game.

Also, I have to admit I'm incredibly embarrassed not to have picked up that Acro was orca backward before. How did I not notice that?