Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I’m shopping for a zero-turn to mow the 3 acres of nice lawn we just bought. It’s fairly smooth. I’d like to be able to mow quickly but also keep it looking sharp and striped.

The last owner had a Bad Boy of some sort, but the neighbor and motronic were strongly discouraging that.

Right now I can’t tell how much of the advice I’m getting from dealers is honest and how much is just supply chain talking.

Kubota stock is cleaned out. The Scag dealer insisted 60” was too big, but she also only had 54” mowers in stock.

The Gravely dealer was pushing the Pro Turn 100 (Kawasaki FX, 3400 hydros) for $9,100. It seemed like overkill, but I like the higher top speed than the $7,700 Gravely ZX. I don’t actually know how often I’ll be hitting top speed realistically, though. My neighbor has the $11k Gravely 200, but that’s stupid overkill.

The Exmark guy was pushing the Radius-S for $8,400. It felt pretty comparable to the Gravely ZX, but the Exmark dealer is farther away, so it didn’t seem worth paying $700 more.

Can I get some advice from anyone who’s actually used these things? I’m kind of leaning between the two Gravelys now but I’m open. It’s a lot of money but I’d like to never buy another mower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
What about used? I think this looks like a good deal, but he's been posting this same one for a month now. He seemed like a genuine guy over the phone. https://kansascity.craigslist.org/grq/d/oak-grove-gravely-pro-turn-commercial/7340207092.html

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I’ve heard a lot of bad boy criticism from the neighbors, mostly based on control-feel and problems with our specific local dealer, but I don’t think they have a rigidly mounted deck. That’s not a thing I’ve heard anywhere but here.

The decks seem to all be mounted on oval hangers as seems to be the norm these days. Very few of the mowers I’ve looked at use chain hangers anymore. They all look like this BB:

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Motronic posted:

That doesn't look like an oval hanger.....unless the deck is on the ground

The black part affixed to the black L. I think you’re looking at the lower adjustment point.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
The Gravely are asked about last week sold before I could get there, but the same guy just posted this and I’m headed to look tomorrow.

It’s definitely more than I need for 3 acres, but I’m kind of into the overkill. I also expect to be mowing my parents unoccupied 5 acres soon.

Thoughts? Things to look out for? Do you think there’s room to haggle?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Talking to the neighbors, I’m pretty confident that a beefy ZT is the right tool for my house.

My dad is currently towing his stamped-deck Cub Caset ZT an hour each way to mow that other 5ac and he’s getting it done, but now I live around the corner so I suspect it’ll become my job. I can get away with just mowing the front half.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
A goat is more likely to happen than a tractor.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
It’s dumb contested inheritance land, willed to be split between two stubborn brothers. Someday it’ll probably be auctioned on the courthouse steps. Until then it just need to keep it short enough that the city won’t fine my grandmother. 4-5 times per summer, probably.

I only mentioned it to justify buying an overkill commercial mower for my own place.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Like a glove!

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Motronic posted:

What the hell was that garage built for? Clown cars?

There’s 5 bays between the house and detached shop, so previous owner chopped that one into a finished laundry with exactly enough space for a 60” mower. I love it.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Is it ok to lift a commercial zero-turn by the front lip of the deck? I’ve seen some youtubes do it, but it doesn’t seem great.

I borrowed a homeowner-grade ZT wheel lift, but the jacking handle bent when I tried to lift my mower

I can barely maneuver a floor jack under the front spindle arms, but my 24” Daytona jack doesn’t get the mower high enough to get an impact under the blade bolts.

Separate question: will Gator-style mulching blades solve my clumping problems? I feel like I’m just pushing the same clumps and leaves back and forth every week. Nothings getting cut smaller with a second pass.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Oh, when you only posted the first pic, I thought that was a tilt-down like Exmark does.

I figured out an angle to come at the spindle arm with the floor jack that’s not as awkward as I thought. I looked at an appropriately-sized Oregon lift today and whoa, the big-box-grade lift I borrowed was woefully undersized. Not worth $300 to sharpen mower blades, though.

The Husqy dealer didn’t seem to excited to sell me Gator blades. He didn’t think they would solve my clumping issues without a full set of $$ mulching baffles, and just told me to mow more often. I think once a week at 4” in the peak of July should be plenty, so I guess I’m living with it.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 2, 2021

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
This could’ve gone way worse. I thought I was mowing far enough from the bank and going reasonably slow. I’m not sure what happened, but I saw the front spindle veering toward the water, over-corrected and backed it into the pond.

Yes I’m putting my rops bar up now.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
The goat thing keeps coming back to this thread.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

El Mero Mero posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations/advice for garden pathway lighting? We have a bunch of little shaded pathways through our garden and a pagoda but there's no good lighting at the moment.

I've seen the HD solar rechargable stake lights, but we'd need like 20-30 of them to adequately cover the pathing.

I just buy full boxes of the $0.98 ones at walmart. I lose so many to the mower and neighborhood kids that it’s not worth spending any more.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
What’s the best way to pick up “gum ball” spikeys? I have a lot and bribing the kids isn’t working.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
*five* mature sweet gums in the front yard. Who plants these things?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Progressive JPEG posted:

Is the fiskars weedpuller the standing-height pole with the prongs at one end? If so I have the gardena version and it does the job for clearing typical NZ yard weeds. Might be an alternative if you still have trouble obtaining the fiskars.

The fiskars one squeezes around the taproot when you lean it back, and there’s a weed ejector that feels like chambering a dandelion gun.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
What are these little bastards? They’re from something low that blends into the grass. I can’t walk across my mower yard barefoot.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Motronic posted:

Stinging Nettle. You need to spray it out with something that contains 2,4-D. Try Surge or Crossbow.

Thanks. One more reason I should go buy a tow-behind sprayer, I guess.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I’m about as far from a beach as you can get, but they really blend in until you step on a patch.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I’ve been haphazardly throwing “micro clover” seeds into thin spots in my yard for a few years. I like it.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I’m looking for a quality battery backpack sprayer to cover a large area with Surge and Talstar.

Most of the YouTube reviews are obviously sponsored. A lot of them are pushing the “my 4 sons m4” which looks janky and DIY to me.

First off, supplying DC with a c13 plug seems like a really dumb way to start a fire https://my4sons.com/collections/electric/products/battery-charger-for-white-tank-m4-does-not-fit-blue-tank-m4

There’s a video showing the install on their tool battery conversion kit. That looks like how I would wire something in my garage with a stepped drill bit and wire nuts. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5zdZ5gRBA_4

I’m ok buying once, crying once, but I don’t want to overpay for junk. What should I buy?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I’ve got 3 acres, but I was only thinking about treating around the house. In my head I imagined a tow-sprayer to be a hassle to maneuver, but now I see they’ve got hoses and hand sprayers attached. That seems like the pro-move, I guess.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I’ll be pulling it with a commercial zero turn, so I hope 20-30 gallons isn’t over it’s towing capacity.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I put a ball hitch on, but the flimsy mount is bending down.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I have caught so many moles with scissor traps. Just press one in across a fresh trail, and if it hasn’t sprung by the next morning, move it.

No poisons, nothing to above ground for pets to mess with.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Aspectek-Durable-and-Powerful-Easy-Setting-Scissor-Jawed-Mole-Trap-and-Eliminator-HR1923/206099444

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Have you ever had wild animals try to dig up the corpse?

I have not. I glance out the window in the morning, and if it’s popped up, I pull the trap out.

The body comes up pinched in the scissors and I drop it in the yard waste bin.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Rain, snow and mowing should tamp them down naturally. If a trap doesn’t spring within a day or two, move it.

One mole can cover a huge area and they’re constantly moving to keep up with their fast metabolism.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
What’s a good source for wildflower mixes? I’d like to un-lawn some parts of my zone 6 small acreage

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Everything I’ve read points to Eley making the highest quality and best quick connect fittings, but I haven’t actually gotten around to buying any to find out

I’ve had them for a couple of years now. They’re great. They’re huge so they don’t limit the flow like cheap ones. No leaks, serviceable o-rings.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Why not just hit it with the weedeater and get a clean edge showing on your concrete?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I shoveled a yard of top soil here because I was tired of hitting the concrete with my zero turn deck and having to come back with the string trimmer.

If I want it to look nice, how far do I need to keep the dirt below the concrete to allow height for sod? How much should I compact the soil? I’ve never bought more than a few bags of dirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I’m trying to stop washout under my garage pad. I could stick half a hand under the concrete at this corner, so I paid a guy to build this wall, then I put down sod where he tore up.

I’m really hoping the dirt behind the wall will eventually settle back under the concrete pad if I keep it built up a little. Is that overly optimistic? Do I need to be more pro-active? It’s not noticeably settling or cracking, so I don’t know if a mud jacker is answer yet.