Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
The golden asteroid that could make everyone on Earth a billionaire

:smug::smug: :chord: :smugdog: :chord: :chord: :chord:

quote:

Whether it was the Big Bang, Midas or God himself, we don’t really need to unlock the mystery of the origins of gold when we’ve already identified an asteroid worth $700 quintillion in precious heavy metals.
If anything launches this metals mining space race, it will be this asteroid--Psyche 16, taking up residence between Mars and Jupiter and carrying around enough heavy metals to net every single person on the planet close to a trillion dollars.

The massive quantities of gold, iron and nickel contained in this asteroid are mind-blowing. The discovery has been made. Now, it’s a question of proving it up.

NASA plans to do just that, beginning in 2022.

what are you newly minted billionaires gonna do with your filthy riches???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Asteroid mining is good as hell op.
Especially because it has a good chance of breaking capitalism if you do it right

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

thats a big nug

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Yes this asteroid not only will be captured and mined but also distributed to everyone in a truly egalitarian manner like all the other resources.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
but wouldn't that just virtually make gold worthless since its high supply

oh wait :thejoke:

but hey, gold wires everywhere on the planet for the best conductivity possible

time to jumpstart asteroid mining

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh no the poor asteroid belt got the resource curse put on it

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

that's pretty metal

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

What if... Earth's just like a big asteroid with resources and we don't need a spaceship to strip mine it?!

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

i wish that asteroid would come to me right now at 120000 kph

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Chillgamesh posted:

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
sitting on my golden toilet making GBS threads my guts out b/c i cant afford clean water

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
It would be awesome if they try to send the asteroid to Earth for us to be rich but they gently caress up and accidentally kill us all instead.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

if everyone had trillions of dollars in gold wouldnt it be worthless?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Hey now they don't have to put all that gold into circulation right away! I'm sure some humanitarian will offer to sit on 99.99% of it for indeterminate amount of time as to not upset the markets.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
it owns how insanely rich people will now start making plans to mine this that cost insane amounts of money and aren't feasible instead of doing something about climate change because that doesn't make money

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
cool, cool

how are they gonna get tons and tons of heavy metals down to the earth's surface from space again?

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
every rich person gathers in space for a biggggg party but ends up getting crushed by a giant golden asteroid

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

RaySmuckles posted:

cool, cool

how are they gonna get tons and tons of heavy metals down to the earth's surface from space again?

elon musk is going to attach a rocket to it and send it hurtling towards earth and humanity will be wiped out

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
scientist : it’s not feasible to mine that asteroid . chances of success are infinitely small .

rich person: I want to make a real life Goldar and have him destroy the pour by melting liquid gold onto them

investor : wow ! now That’s thinking outside the box !

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

RaySmuckles posted:

cool, cool

Move all of the poors onto on 10km2 spot and drop it on them.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
simply place the asteroid into a low earth orbit, allowing the atmosphere to harmlessly heat and break it apart, easily distributing the riches across the population by raining liquid gold everywhere

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Colonel Cancer posted:

What if... Earth's just like a big asteroid with resources and we don't need a spaceship to strip mine it?!
earth is a spaceship :weed:

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

whatever

wake me up when we find the dilithium asteroid

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
I hope it crashes into earth and kills us all in the most thematically appropriate fashion.

e: if it's too small for that I hope it burns up in the atmosphere so that only a penny size piece makes it to the surface.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
oh man, self obliteration by loving up bringing a giant gold asteroid to earth is the single most fitting way for humanity to go.

now i am 100% sure that's how its gonna be

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

ASenileAnimal posted:

in word and in deed, it is truly, métal hurlant

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can I have some money. Dm me for my cash me

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

purestrain gold in every pot

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

ASenileAnimal posted:

no, see:

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
has anyone made a joke that the asteroid is a prank and once nasa gets there to mine it its all space turds and dust and they go "psyche!!!"

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
thing isnt even gold. its dust confirmed

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
More like the golden asteroid that some billionaire will acquire the mining rights to and then make even more billions selling futures meanwhile the thing just sits in orbit doing nothing.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
wouldn't a solid gold asteroid weight trillions of tons and be completely infeasible to mine?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Chillgamesh posted:

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

purestrain gold in every pot

don't falsely get people's hopes up, very little of that asteroid is likely to be purestrain

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

ASenileAnimal posted:

there are people that sell sand and dirt :shrug:

gold has some utility as a really good conductor so it'd have at least some value, though it'd be funny to see scrappers with piles of gold waiting for the per ton price to go up $10 so they could turn a profit

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

ASenileAnimal posted:

:eng101: it's very useful for spacecraft solar panels

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

gently caress space, I enjoy poverty and there's no need to look up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Will asteroid mining increase earth's mass to the point where it flies off course and crashes into the sun?